Thomas Cook flights to Barbados

Oliversgrandma

We are booked on a fly cruise to South America and the Caribbean on 22nd January 2015 on Adonia. I have just checked with P and O and they tell me our flight will be with Thomas Cook. I asked about up-grading to world traveller plus or business, but apparently there is no availability on either the charter or scheduled flight (seems they use both).

Does anyone have any experience of flying with Thomas Cook on a P & O fly cruise to Barbados? If so, what sort of planes do they use, what is the seat pitch like, etc. etc. We have had this cruise booked for over a year and did not realise there was the possibility of up-grading. Not looking forward to an overnight flight back home in economy!

Many thanks in advance for any info.

Hi, when we fly long-haul we usually use a main carrier and upgrade on their scheduled flights. However, we returned from Barbados last year with Thomas Cook having sailed with P&O from Southampton. We upgraded to their premium class (extra legroom). It was adequate. I couldn't really fault it - plenty of legroom, yes; but the seats are a bit uncomfy after a while. If you can afford an upgrade, you should book it. If we can't upgrade the flight, we don't book the cruise/holiday. Some people don't think it's worth it, but to us it definitely is.

Apologies, but can't tell you what type of plane it was. I'm sure that someone will wander along soon and help out with that particualr concern. :)

Thomas Cook is ok - but we would opt for Thomson every time given the choice. We have been to the Caribbean several times, twice now with Thomas Cook - the last time was March this year. Thomson is better in as far as the seats are concerned - we've always been in Premium - and the entertainment system is far better than TC. On Thomson you can choose when to watch the film, when to pause it etc. On TC the films are on a loop so I found myself watching the end of a film and then the beginning of it. The seats on both TC planes we've been on were very shabby too compared with Thomson.

I don't want to give the impression that we had a dreadful flight, we didn't but in future, especially if we book early I will ask that we fly with Thomson not TC.

We flew with them to and from Cuba (economy) and it was the worst flight I have ever had. There was 0 leg room. They did not have enough of each food option, meaning we were left with a foul sausage in some kind of jellified apple sauce for dinner. The chicken pasta option ran out 1/4 of the way down the plane. The staff were rude, including seeming annoyed with a lady one of them had managed to spill scalding hot tea on as they leant over them.

This was not through P&O but I will never fly with them again regardless.

TC also fly old airbusses, Thomson fly Dreamliners (to Barbados from Gatwick and Manchester) which have more legroom than BA and Virgin, and certainly TC as standard.

We were initially put on TC, we requested Thomson instead.

We are booked on a fly cruise to South America and the Caribbean on 22nd January 2015 on Adonia. I have just checked with P and O and they tell me our flight will be with Thomas Cook. I asked about up-grading to world traveller plus or business, but apparently there is no availability on either the charter or scheduled flight (seems they use both).

Does anyone have any experience of flying with Thomas Cook on a P & O fly cruise to Barbados? If so, what sort of planes do they use, what is the seat pitch like, etc. etc. We have had this cruise booked for over a year and did not realise there was the possibility of up-grading. Not looking forward to an overnight flight back home in economy!

Many thanks in advance for any info.

If there is no premium seat availability via P&O on BA can you not delink the flight from the cruise and book the flight independently with BA to get Club or WT+? As I am sure the seats will still be available but maybe P&O has used all its allocation.

They did not have enough of each food option, meaning we were left with a foul sausage in some kind of jellified apple sauce for dinner. The chicken pasta option ran out 1/4 of the way down the plane.

No cabin on any flight is every 100% catered with each choice of meal, so you could pay for example £5000 for a LHR-JFK return in business and not get your first choice of meal or £8000 for a First class return and still not get your first choice - which does upset premium customers!

Thomas Cook use A330-200 seat pitch just the same as Thomson ,Thomson use Dreamliner and old 767 if you look on seat guru it will tell you which flight you will be on .In Nov Thomas Cook are upgrading all there A330 with new ricaro seats and new individual seat back entertainment new carpets ect,I've got the same dilemma as you because our flight from Manchester is with Thomas Cook and the other flight same day with Thomsoms is the old 767 ,so as for seat pitch in economy it's 33 in in both unless Dreamliner .

No cabin on any flight is every 100% catered with each choice of meal, so you could pay for example £5000 for a LHR-JFK return in business and not get your first choice of meal or £8000 for a First class return and still not get your first choice - which does upset premium customers!

It was more that they seemed to have a 50/50 split of chicken in pasta (boring but inoffensive) and the disgusting muck that we ended up with. I have no idea what they were thinking of trying to pull it off on an airplane. It was like sausage in apple Jelly.

Whatever happened to just sticking to simple food that the majority are going to like? Not one person around us got the chicken and pasta and I, along with many others, had to buy food because we just couldn't eat it.

Thanks for all replies. Especially helpful to know that it is likely to be a A330-200 with 33 inch seat pitch (not too bad, though other half will complain!).

I have looked at booking our own flights with BA but the cost would be prohibitive as we don't get any reduction from P&O if we don't fly with them.

Macren - thanks for the info on the upgrading of Thomas Cook planes in November. Can I ask where you got this info from and if it's available for me to look at on the net?

I am beginning to get excited about this cruise now. If anyone else is on this cruise, don't forget to get your yellow fever jabs sorted. Apparently there is a shortage in the UK at the moment.

I am beginning to get excited about this cruise now. If anyone else is on this cruise, don't forget to get your yellow fever jabs sorted. Apparently there is a shortage in the UK at the moment.

If you are visiting countries where yellow fever certification is mandatory, then you may be refused boarding if you don't have it.

It's not cheaper either, £50-£60, but is good for 10 years

Brian

How do we know which countries it's mandatory in? We are doing the Eastern Carribean, will we need it?

Yellow fever not required for Caribbean Islands. It's required for certain mainland South American countries. Although there are no mandatory requirements for the Caribbean there are some recommended ones like hepatitis, tetanus etc, depending on your medical history and what you have had in the past. Consult your practice nurse at your GP, with your itinery and they will advise what you need.

Brian

Thanks Brian1 and for the link. Looks like the 33 pitch will go in November on the refit, replaced by 31 pitch (same as BA) but with 4-2-4 configuration rather than 3-3-3 as at present. The reason we were considering opting for scheduled flights was to upgrade to business (or world traveller plus). However, having spoken to BA there is very little availability left (no world traveller plus) and the price is prohibitive (more than the other half will let me spend anyway!)

Re the yellow fever jabs, a certificate (or an exemption certificate) is required for Brazil and also French Guyana (we are visiting Cayenne). We are paying £55 per jab at our local private travel clinic. According to the nurse there, apparently the WHO have now said that yellow fever jabs actually last for life, but the certificates still say 10 years!

I don't see the advantage of using scheduled flights.

BA seat pitch 31"

Thomson seat pitch 33"

Thomas Cook seat pitch 33"

http://www.seatplans.com/airlines/thomson-airways/b787-2

Brian

Depends on your preferences, we dont flight charter and when we fly scheduled we fly business.

The inflight entertainment if usually better on scheduled, (though charter is catching up with its newer aircraft) hand baggage and luggage allowances are better, the food service is free and there is an unlimited bar on scheduled flights and you are less likely to be treated like cattle!

But some may prefer a slightly better pitch - horses for courses.

The inflight entertainment if usually better on scheduled, (though charter is catching up with its newer aircraft) hand baggage and luggage allowances are better, the food service is free and there is an unlimited bar on scheduled flights and you are less likely to be treated like cattle!

I have only ever been on scheduled flights. This will be my first Chartered flight - do you not get meals provided on chartered???

I have only ever been on scheduled flights. This will be my first Chartered flight - do you not get meals provided on chartered???

Yes you do. You get a main meal about 2 hours into the flight and a snack about an hour before landing.

Brian

Yes you do. You get a main meal about 2 hours into the flight and a snack about an hour before landing.

Brian

Not quite that straight forward!

If you fly Jet2 long haul say to New York then you get nothing free not even a drink or snack.

If you fly short haul or mid haul on Thomson you have to buy your meal.

If you fly Monarch it depends on the flight code prefix and flight duration.

If you fly Thomas Cook you have to buy your meals even on long haul, though this is changing in May 2015.

My advice though, is always to take a couple of snacks with you for the flight even if a meal is provided.

We have flown TC A330 200 a number of times and whilst the legroom is more than adequate the seat width is not. particularly the bulkhead seats which house the inflight tv system in the arm. We have also flown US Airways A330- configured 2-4-2 and found it a far better experience. Whilst the Thomson Boeing 767 are old, they offer the most room being configured 2-3-2 In fact the difference between economy and premium does not justify the cost. Only experienced premium so far on the Dreamliner and foung getting in and out of your seat a pain as you have to slide the in flight entertainment system back into the seat arm to get in or out. What did make a difference was that it only took 8 hours to landing in Barbados and 6.00hr 45 minutes back to Manchester.

Cb

TC, P&O charter to Barbados for Ventura in Caribbean, January this year.

Meal and snack, James Martin branded provided, with just enough liquid service.

My wife and I are vegetarians and preorder so always get that, well apart from some 20 years ago on ANZ.