Cove balcony question

snorkler8

We've always done inside cabins but I am thinking of springing for a cove balcony. My question is....yes it would be cool to watch the ocean go by, but the reason I would want a cove balcony is to be able to be close to the water to look down and see things, especially when we are docked. We are looking at the Magic going to Belize, Roatan and Cozumel. Should I just spend the extra money in port going out on a catamaran or kayak??

I would go with a cove balcony without hesitation. I visited one for the first time on my last cruise and they will be my first choice of rooms. I normally get the aft extended balconies but the coves are my new favorites.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We just had our first cove on the Breeze in July and it was great, would definitely book another cove. Our big fear was the door being locked due to high winds/seas, but that was never an issue and we never noticed any spray on that particular cruise...we were mid-ship so maybe too far back to notice.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I've heard nothing but good about cove balcony, only knew they existed recently. Cruisetail, thanks for the pictures!! It really shows how low they are, how close the water will be... BUT, will you see more things in the water...dolphins, flying fish and especially be able to see fish in the water while in port???

Yes do it! I was just talking about our cove balcony today that we had on the magic! I wish all the ships had them.. You will see lots of flying fish, dolphins and beautiful sunsets/sunrises. We really enjoyed it and being that close to the water is something else. It was our best room ever...

Book the cove, you will NOT regret it! The coves are absolutely amazing. We had one on the Magic this past April. The view is fantastic, and you'll be able to see flying fish and dolphins, right there from your balcony. We have another cove booked on the Dream for this coming April. I really don't even like to think about cruising on a ship that doesn't have the coves! :eek:

Oh lovely. Now that I think I'm ready to make the leap from inside cabin to a cove balcony I think the ship we are looking at doesn't have cove balconies! We have decided because of time constraints ( visiting family while in town for the cruise) we need to go on the 5 rather than the 7 day...Triumph instead of Magic. So am I correct in that the Triumph doesn't have cove balconies??

• 2 weeks later...

I had a cove balcony on the Breeze. I picked one mid-ship to avoid the noise of the galley above. Also, it showed a "blank" space on the deckplan next to it. Turns out, that "blank" space was a storage room for all the luggage carts and they would bang and bump together to make a racket. Also, there was a very loud, metal-on-metal grinding noise from the hull that I could never figure out where it was coming from.

I was with a group of friends and two others also had cove balconies and had problems with noise.

I did like being close to the water and I didn't get any spray from the waves, but sitting on the chair on the balcony didn't give you as open a view as on a regular balcony.

Just me, but I don't think I'd book a cove balcony again unless it was a really good price.

I have done cove balconies on both the Dream and Breeze. The only downside I can think of was waking up one morning to what my half asleep brain thought was loud trucks outside. Those "trucks" were tenders pulling alongside the Breeze. When you are in a cove balcony room, you could literally jump from the balcony to the roof of a large tender and not hurt yourself too bad. You are really that close to the water.

I've heard nothing but good about cove balcony, only knew they existed recently. Cruisetail, thanks for the pictures!! It really shows how low they are, how close the water will be... BUT, will you see more things in the water...dolphins, flying fish and especially be able to see fish in the water while in port???

At sea, we saw dolphins and flying fish. In port, when docking the ship stirs up a lot of silt. Nothing to see.

Coming into or leaving port, you may see some dolphins swimming along side.