Insurance?

molly5673

We always purchase our own independent travel insurance. Link posted above is a good way to compare different plans and pricing. The cost is a direct correlation of the ages of the insured, cost of trip (which includes the cruise cost, any airfare, hotels pre-cruise....any costs incurred on getting to and going on the cruise), destination, and length of time travelling. Addtionally, you have choices of $$ of coverage etc which impact the cost. But we never travel without it...if you need to use it, it is invaluable and priceless.

Mine was $159 total.

It was from Travel Guard for 4 people for an inside and aft balcony for 8 days, plus 2 days traveling to port & 2 days traveling home, plus a hotel room.

And yes, I cashed in on it.

I went on the cruise a few months later.

No problems.

I bought Travel Guard for a cruise this summer of $86.00 for a family of 3. A few days before the cruise I had to have neck surgery and had to cancel but thankfully we had the insurance. I took about 30 days after filing all the paper work for the claim but we got the reimbursement. SO I highly recommend Travel Guard.

I personally like to speak to someone who understands the mumbo jumbo of the insurance language. I use tripinsurancestore.com. I use the website to pick out what I think I want, then call to discuss my needs with the agent....often time I end up buying a different policy based on their recommendations. I also like that they can help when I need to make changes.

For example, we booked our cruise 10 months in advance. Airfare was not yet available. So when I finally was able to book the air, I called them and they helped me make the adjustments I needed to my policy.

I used to use insuremytrip.com, but I bought a policy that didn't meet my needs because I didn't understand fully what I was buying. I became ill on a cruise and had to visit the infirmary and had to purchase medications. When I filled a claim when I returned, it was denied because I bought a policy that required that I be in "international" waters. (The cruise left from the US and visited two US ports......) From that day on, I decided I needed help when purchasing my policy.

Kim

If you want an answer to your question (whatever that question is), you can't just say, "Insurance ... how much is it". People will start randomly giving answers based on what question they think you're asking.

At a minimum, you need to indicate whether you are talking about just trip cancellation/interruption insurance, just foreign travel medical insurance, or both. Those are the two very basic elements of what is commonly and confusingly referred to as "travel insurance".

Many people (myself included) book their trip using a premium credit card that provides cancellation/interruption insurance as one of the standard benefits. As a result, there is no point for me to buy additional cancellation insurance.

Some people already have foreign medical insurance as part of their existing health care insurance (either purchased, or provided by their employer). You need to be cautious on this point to ensure that the coverage is adequately comprehensive (including dependents, emergency evacuation and general limits). I'm satisfied that my coverage is good and that it would be pointless to purchase additional insurance. But I recognize that most people do not have the same level of medical insurance coverage.

For our group of four, ages 18-44, we pay about $30 per person for a 7 night cruise. I include the cost of airline tickets and non-refundable things like pre-paid hotels in the trip cost. I have always used insuremytrip.com.

The packages I lean towards are ones with excellent trip delay, cancelation and interruption coverage in addition to med-evac coverage.

Pretty inexpensive piece of mind. As a matter of fact, we cruise in a month and one of the people in our group had to be hospitalized last week. First thing I thought was, "well, if it's something serious and he can't go on the cruise at least we won't lose our money".

Happy sailing.

Gina

Edited by Eeyoregon

How much is it?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It depends on the amount of coverage, the price of the cruise, what optional coverages you get, what limits you get, where you are going, when you are going, how long (in time) the trip is, how many people are going, what age each person is, whether or not you are insuring just the trip or the transportation to and from the cruise (and how you are getting to and from the cruise), and whether or not you get cancel for any reason coverage.

Edited by Cuizer2