doin' the happy dance ! The upgrade fairy picked me !

paintchip8

New to all of this...I see everyone talking "upgrades and price drops".... I have a TA, she only told me to have my cruise paid by a certain date and didn't mention if I "paid it early I wouldn't be able to get the price drop. I wish I had of known.......

First - awesome that OP was able to get a JS for the same price as what she originally booked an OV for. Great catch and awesome upgrade!

Once final payment has been made (as of the final payment date), you cannot receive a price drop on the same accommodations - meaning that RCCL will not reprice your trip and refund you the difference. However, if a higher category cabin is still available at a comparable price and you want to take advantage, you can 'upgrade'. If the upgraded cabin is more than what you paid originally, you will have to pay the difference. If the upgraded cabin is less, you just get the better accommodations with no reimbursement or on-board credit and it is a wash.

Typically if you call, they will try to up-sell you to a category that you have to pay a little more for in order to fill the cabins before they start making phone calls to give any complimentary upgrades. That is the way the RCCL system works.

My first cruise on RC, we ( my 2 daughters and I) booked an oceanview on Vision 9-29-14 and I noticed the price drop on our room. My TA (who is awesome) called and RC gave us an upgrade to a Junior Suite ! I've cruised 12 times with Princess and never got an upgrade. We have another cruise on The Explorerer booked for Jan 29th. Not holding my breath for an upgrade on that cruise.:p

My first trip on RCCL was in a Junior Suite. Ours was on the FOS; but I'm sure the Vision is just as PERFECT! You are sooooo fortunate to get that!!! :p

UK poster and still getting to grips with the fact you can actually get some added value if prices drop. Not something us Brits are accustomed to! I've booked an RCI cruise with a US travel agent website. Would I need to look for the travel agency price dropping or the RCI website price in order to try get upgrade or OBC?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No JS double points for first time cruisers that are not C&A members.This comes at Platinum if I remember correctly.

Even if C&A member, if this was a true "fairy" upgrade to a JS or above the gifted would not qualify for double points, they get the points for the type of category they paid. I'm not sure in the OPs case. The fairy didn't really call, she called RCI, but doesn't sound like she had to pay anything. If she paid even a dollar to "upsell," I know she would get the double points (if C&A)...but she's not so its moot.

My first cruise on RC, we ( my 2 daughters and I) booked an oceanview on Vision 9-29-14 and I noticed the price drop on our room. My TA (who is awesome) called and RC gave us an upgrade to a Junior Suite ! I've cruised 12 times with Princess and never got an upgrade. We have another cruise on The Explorerer booked for Jan 29th. Not holding my breath for an upgrade on that cruise.:p

Congratulations and enjoy your cruise!

Thank you all for the good wishes. Our final room assignment was ....drum roll please...a grand suite - room 8012 ! It appears to be under the Windjammer so hopefully no chair moving noise the other rooms complained about.:D

That was also my assigned room for our cruise but switched it to starboard so we can watch the shore as we depart FLL. Enjoy!!!

Guest maddycat
UK poster and still getting to grips with the fact you can actually get some added value if prices drop. Not something us Brits are accustomed to! I've booked an RCI cruise with a US travel agent website. Would I need to look for the travel agency price dropping or the RCI website price in order to try get upgrade or OBC?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You should check RCI's website. I check daily for price drops. If you find a price drop for your cruise, contact your travel agent to get the price drop for you. If it is before final payment due date, your cruise will be repriced at the lower price. If it is after final payment, you might be able to upgrade your cabin.

[quote name='Priusprof'][SIZE="4"]No JS double points for first time cruisers that are not C&A members.This comes at Platinum if I remember correctly.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

Sailing in JS's and above get double points regardless of your C&A status.

No double points are supposed to be given unless it was a paid upgrade but given their current IT issues you just never know.