Anan creek bear observatory

Rambler5678

We just did this in July with Island Wings. http://www.islandwings.com It was one of the highlights of our month in Alaska, and I would definitely do it again.

We had a fabulous day and the bear viewing was amazing! Lots of bears and lots of salmon made for a wonderful day. We were also lucky to get great weather. The day before it had rained so much the trips to Anan Creek had been cancelled.

I booked in February 2013 for July 2014, but I really wanted to do this excursion so booked so early so I would not miss out. There are only about 60 passes per day given out for visitors to the observatory.

I am currently writing a photo review so should be posting about this excursion soon, but here are a few photos.

Yvette

IMG_4520_zps6c4e4f37.jpg

IMG_4453_zps5a1793c5.jpg

IMG_4440_zps877b434c.jpg

IMG_4434_zpse34daa79.jpg

We went with Island Wings to Anan Creek this past July --- booked in October. We are returning again next July and I have already made my reservation with them. We booked early because we didn't want to miss out on the opportunity to go and go with a well respected vendor.

Pictures of Anan Creek experience are posted below my signature in the 2014 folder.

The tour is guided. Michelle is the pilot, and she flies you there and drops you off. The scenery on the way is beautiful!

When you land, your guide (who flew in the plane along with us) then explains the process, and takes you up to meet the National Park Ranger at the base of the track, who also gives you a talk. Your group then walks about 20 to 30 minutes along a track built of planks, and when you arrive at the observatory, the guide makes eye contact with the ranger in the lookout who signals to come up or wait a moment. We had to stop twice and let bears cross the path while walking up. The path in front of the lookout seems to be a favourite place for them to sit and eat their fish.

Our trip was $485 per person, but I am sure that changes year to year.

Was the tour guided or unguided? What was the total cost of the tour?

It really is not guided. The guide only serves to keep you from getting into trouble as you walk a trail that you share w bears to the viewing platform. The guide will also carry a gun just in case although to my knowledge they have never been needed.

BTW - the air trip from Ketchikan is very expensive for what you get although unfortunately you have no alternatives . We have done it twice out of Wrangle by boat. We were at the bear platform for maybe 5 hours and left then because 2 of our party had to catch a plane and it cost us only $285.

DON

Brown bears and grizzlies are the same species. There are 2 types of bears in AK - brown bears (grizzlies) and black bears.

DON

Yet, brown and grizzlies are different. In general terms brown bears are found within 100 miles of the costal area. Brown bears tend to be larger then grizzlies. Grizzlies though tend to have a larger hump. Also in my experiences with both of them grizzlies tend to be more aggressive. And I guess to be accurate their is also the Kodiak brown bear which is considered as a true subspecies due to their isolated gene pool.

Anan is a great place to see both brown and blacks at the same time. The only other place that I know of where you can see them at the same time is at the Fish Creek observatory in Hyder, Alaska. However, I think Anan has a much higher and more frequent viewing rate then Fish Creek.

Edited by bearbait

Maybe it was just bad luck, but we are going to Alaska next July, 2015. I tried to book with Michelle at Island Wings about three weeks ago. Her plane was already booked with a party of 5 (they only take six) and we need three seats. They are going to try to get a second pilot/plane to take us that day, but I can tell you the rep said the other party booked last April! :eek:

If you want to do it, I wouldn't wait to book. We won't know if we can go until October when the permits are issued.

Yet, brown and grizzlies are different. In general terms brown bears are found within 100 miles of the costal area. Brown bears tend to be larger then grizzlies. Grizzlies though tend to have a larger hump. Also in my experiences with both of them grizzlies tend to be more aggressive. And I guess to be accurate their is also the Kodiak brown bear which is considered as a true subspecies due to their isolated gene pool.

Anan is a great place to see both brown and blacks at the same time. The only other place that I know of where you can see them at the same time is at the Fish Creek observatory in Hyder, Alaska. However, I think Anan has a much higher and more frequent viewing rate then Fish Creek.

Surprised that you know about Hyder - almost nobody knows about the place. When everyone says that there are no places in southern AK that you can drive to, I gleefully tell them that they are wrong and then tell them about Hyder.

When we were in Hyder, the bears were a bit late. We saw a few brown bears but much much less that we saw on our 2 visits to Anan. Hyder though is a neat funky place.

DON

Surprised that you know about Hyder - almost nobody knows about the place. When everyone says that there are no places in southern AK that you can drive to, I gleefully tell them that they are wrong and then tell them about Hyder.

When we were in Hyder, the bears were a bit late. We saw a few brown bears but much much less that we saw on our 2 visits to Anan. Hyder though is a neat funky place.

DON

I've been to Hyder 16 times so far. One of the few US border crossings that has no Border Patrol Agents. You just drive in from Stewart and there you are. Canadian Customs though is right there at the end of Main St. going back into BC.

Bear viewing in Hyder at Fish Creek isn't anything like Anan. It's a much slower pace. There are bears there, brown and black, but they don't seem to congregate in the same numbers or with as much frequency as Anan. However, if you spend much time in Hyder you'll come across them in the most unsuspecting places.

Hyder is unique even by Alaska standards. If you have children they'll go to school in Stewart. Phone and electric service also comes from there. While Hyder does have a small general store for all practical purposes you have to cross the border to get groceries in Stewart. Also no gas station or bank either.

Plenty to see and explore there. Drive out the end of the road and you'll see the Salmon Glacier the 4th largest in North America. Another interesting thing out there is the Granduc Mine. It has a tunnel that goes 11 miles back under the glacier and surrounding mountains. Currently an active mining site.

If you ever get a chance to go to Hyder, do it!

I've been to Hyder 16 times so far.

If you ever get a chance to go to Hyder, do it!

and gotten Hyderized?

too bad the ferry doesn't run there anymore. to maintain the bear observatory the USFS crew has to ferry to Rupert and then drive north

odd that a cheechako is surprised that an alaskan would know about hyder, alaska.

I've been to Hyder 16 times so far. One of the few US border crossings that has no Border Patrol Agents. You just drive in from Stewart and there you are. Canadian Customs though is right there at the end of Main St. going back into BC.

t!

I thought that the border crossing issue was sort of funny. Usually the US border agents are the crazies and the Canadians are a bit more low key. At Hyder, you can sneak from Canada into the US without anyone knowing about it. However, you can not sneak from the US back into Canada without dealing with border agents. I wonder how many non-locals the Canadian border people get a day?

DON

We just did this in July with Island Wings. http://www.islandwings.com It was one of the highlights of our month in Alaska, and I would definitely do it again.

We had a fabulous day and the bear viewing was amazing! Lots of bears and lots of salmon made for a wonderful day. We were also lucky to get great weather. The day before it had rained so much the trips to Anan Creek had been cancelled.

I booked in February 2013 for July 2014, but I really wanted to do this excursion so booked so early so I would not miss out. There are only about 60 passes per day given out for visitors to the observatory.

I am currently writing a photo review so should be posting about this excursion soon, but here are a few photos.

Yvette

IMG_4520_zps6c4e4f37.jpg

IMG_4453_zps5a1793c5.jpg

IMG_4440_zps877b434c.jpg

IMG_4434_zpse34daa79.jpg

looks amazing!!

• 3 weeks later...