Just booked on Carnival dream, who has been?

Joliving4Jesus

I wasn't planning on booking this soon as the cruise is a year out but the set up of our party and rooms is difficult. We have 3 parties, one wanted a cove balcony with 3 guests, the other two parties wanted interiors but one group is a 2 person and the other a 4 person. So we had to find a cove near a 2 person interior and 4 person one. Turned out on Dream there is only 2 single rooms on the main deck where all the coves are that fit more than 2 people mid ship (coves are mid), none in back, and almost all of them at the very front of the ship, away from the coves. I called and seen 1 of those 2 rooms was unavailable so that left us with 1 single option for a more than 2 people interior on the main deck with the coves so we booked now. We couldn't get the cove and 2 person interior directly next to the 4 person interior but two doors down, close enough.

So who has been on the dream? What are the highlights? This will be the biggest ship we've ever been on and it looks exciting. We will be traveling with kids, a 7 year old and almost 3 year old twins, so I would love to know the fun things for kids to do. I am so excited to have that hefty deposit out of the way and now I can make small deposits up until next summer, I am excited!

Check out Camp Carnival for the kids.

When you board, you will most likely head to the Lido deck 10 for the buffet lunch. Don't stop at the first buffet lines. Continue walking toward the rear of the ship. There are more lines there and are less crowded.

You will also find the Tandoor (Indian food) as well as the Deli (hot and cold sandwiches) in the Sunset Pool area.

On deck 11 above the buffet area is the Pasta Bar.

Enjoy your cruise.

Our first and second cruises were on the Dream. First we had an interior on deck one and second a cove. Loved the cove! Our next cruise was on the Liberty. We really liked the Dream more. Loved the promenade deck (5?) where you could walk all the way around. Also, could really tell the difference in size on the lido.

Dream is our second favorite Carnival ship (1st one being the Liberty :)). We had a truly enjoyable time. Feel free to read my review (link in my signature below). Our son was just shy of the minimum age for Camp Carnival so i can't comment much on that, but hopefully the rest of the review will be helpful. Have a wonderful time!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We were also on the repositioning cruise from Port Canaveral to New Orleans - over 4000 passengers but you never felt crowded or pushed - that was the best 9 days of cruising - make sure you visit deck 5 and listen to the entertainment of the Blackjack Band - shows were good - staff was great - food OK - you will meet a lot of great folks - don't try to take in everything the 1st day - just enjoy

Dream is by far my favorite ship. My best 3 cruises have been my 3 Dream cruises. She has the best entertainment out of all Carnival ships. Show up early for good seats to the shows, especially the very popular Dancing in the Streets. I echo that Blackjack Band in the oceans plaza on deck 5 is an amazing band, and very friendly people. But I'm not sure if they will still be working for Carnival then. When I saw them in January, they told me that they hadn't been signed passed this next 6-month assignment, starting at the beginning of November (after their vacation). If the schedules stay true and they get re-signed, they will be back on board in late June-early July 2015 for another 6 months. I hope their contract gets renewed.

The Dream is spectacular & may feel overwhelming compared to your previous ships. The deck 5 promenade is really nice, and even includes an outdoor walkway that goes around the entire outside of the ship. Take a nice walk along there at some point, especially checking out the front & back. The hot tubs on that lanai are really nice. Show up early for comedy shows as well. The lounge for the comedy club is small, although quite a bit larger than the newer ships (Magic & Breeze).

FOOD: There are so many eating options on this ship, it's ridiculous. When you get on board the ship, I suggest the pasta bar upstairs from the aft buffet. It's free & gets busier later in the week. And I repeat a previous poster that the aft buffet tends to have shorter lines than the midship buffet, and they are usually the same foods. For lunch, the aft buffet has a burrito bar, which is the exact same thing as some lizard-branded burrito bar that's on other Carnival ships. Some other Carnival ships have slightly better burgers, with a brand name of some weird-looking TV guy. But the Dream will still have burgers, plus other items that those other ships don't have, and the Dream will serve up those foods late into the evening (which those other ships don't do). The Dream will have 2 deck parties, and after 1 of them, there will be a Mexican buffet, with tons of food. Other Carnival ships that have been "upgraded" do not have this buffet at all. Those ships have pizza only for food after about 8:00 every night, but the Dream will have more. The Dream will have a BBQ on the deck 5 lanai on sea days, and it includes some very good food. One "upgraded" ship (Breeze) had to get rid of the good food items on their lanai BBQ. So even though some people around cruisecritic like to poop on Dream for not having the brand-named food spots that "upgraded" ships have, you can tell that there are some great advantages for not having those brand-named spots.

If your kids like the water, they are going to LOVE the Dream. There are 2 very large waterslides (both slides are very different from each other) that are fun for kids & adults. I ride the slides all the time. I think the height requirement is only 42". There are also some smaller slides & splashing features for your younger ones.

Thank you everyone, I am excited even though its so far away, it comes quick! We are booked directly under the galley, is that a good or bad thing?

Under the galley might be okay, but it's risky. Some spots are noisy above, because the galley is where they cook & clean at all hours. If you can switch to a room forward of the midship elevators, that would be better. Under the dining room is best. Unless there is a concern of booking kids in a different room from parents, it really doesn't matter where you all stay. It is more convenient to stay close, but it's not a big deal if you aren't. I once stayed on a totally different floor from my friends, plus about 30 rooms down the hallway. It never mattered. We still would meet up at certain times to do things together. And we weren't in the rooms very much anyway.

Edited by k2excursion

Carnival Dream is a beautiful ship. Everything was laid out nicely. I'm excited for my cruise in March 2015 on the Dream's twin (Magic). When I was on the Dream in August, my balcony was on deck 8(verandah); I would like to try a cove balcony but can't be that close to the water :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Been on the Dream a few times and always a great time! Great entertainment (Blackjack band is our favorite) and food (though miss Guys Burgers). My kids love the Dream Waterworks, especially the slide they call the "toilet bowl"! Been in a cove as well and nice experience to be close to the water! Great Spa if you plan on doing a spa pass at all. Don't forget to go to the Lanai BBQ on Sea a Days, yummy food!

I have to agree with everyone here - the Dream is our favorite ship so far too. We sailed in April, 2011 and our entire party of 9 loved it! We were ages from 6 up to 47 and there was always something for everyone to do.

The food was great back then and like many others have said there are so many choices to pick from. When we would be looking for our husbands - we always knew to check out the different eateries first - that's where they always were. Kinda of like cows grazing - they just went from one place to another! LOL.

Please be sure and stop by and listen to the Blackjack Band. They are awesome and one of a kind. I would sail the Dream again just to be able to sit and listen to them. We had such great time with them - dancing and talking to them. They are true entertainers and so very personable.

I did a very extensive review with lots of photos if you want to check it out. Here is the link -

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1407878

We've been wanting to sail on her again, but every time we were looking she was going back to the Western Caribbean when we were able to travel and we wanted to do another Eastern leg and now that she's moved to New Orleans Western is pretty much all she does now. Hopefully one day soon though we will get back on there. I just hope the Blackjack Band is still there when we do.

Please let me know if you read my review and have any other questions.

You're going to have a great time - I'm very jealous!