Opinion please..balcony or minisuite Gem

kmc86

I've had a mini when it was comped thru CAS. Otherwise, I would not spend extra especially if there is only 2 of you. Room is slightly larger (how much time go you actually spen in your cabin?) Location may be 1 deck higher. $700 can be put to better use

Remember the mini-suites are on deck 11 - below the gym, Garden Café, etc etc. Make sure you pick one that doesn't have anything noisy above.

Also they have combo bathtub/shower and the sides are high (as I have read) ...

So, if you prefer shower, save the $700 and take a balcony cabin. The showers are spacious and have glass door.

Mini-suite on Gem (and other Jewel class ships) have a few sq ft space more than balcony cabins.

I'll echo the two previous posts, the only difference is a bigger bathroom with tub/shower and a bit more space between the beds. Fwiw we have stayed in both on this class of ship and book a balcony.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've sailed on the Gem quite a bit...and mostly always in a Minisuite.

The extra space (+~75 sq ft) is really noticeable and, to me, worth the extra fare. The ability to divide the cabin with a wall-to-wall curtain lets me work or watch TV, without disturbing a sleeping cabinmate. I have never had noise issues from above.. just select the right cabin, looking at the deck plan.

Deck 11 is a great place to be.

Don't upgrade.

We splurged and got a mini on the Gem. Worst cabin in 40+ cruises. I listened to the trolleys and dishes rattle under the Italian restaurant all night long. I'm a light sleeper so this was a huge problem. It was so bad that NCL gave me a HUGE refund on the cabin.

Stick with the balcony and save your money. The minis only offer more storage space and room. Not worth $700.

Lulley766

Looking for your thoughts...is it worth it to switch to mini suite from a balcony on the Gem 9 day caribbean for $700 more (total) for 2 adults? Would the extra space make that much of a difference? TIA

Hi, we've had mini's..They are OK. Do not like the "big step" to get in over the bathtub. :eek: Also, the closet is so close to the bed, it's sort of a struggle to get to what you want. No room to move there at all.

Certainly not worth the money. Our's was a bit under the area where the chairs are moved, etc.

We still prefer the regular balcony, mid way on deck 10....

Choice is yours...

Safe sails.:)

Edited by UandMe4Ever