Snow!

sharkaymon

Our cruise on CCL Conquest departs Miami on Sunday, September 14th. I depart Colorado Springs tomorrow at 10:30.

Snow is predicted for today but the weatherman promises it will blow on through and be gone by tomorrow. UGH! Just one more thing to be concerned about.

Have any of you taken off in snow on your way to a cruise?:eek:

We've driven from Ohio to Baltimore in December before and had no problems. Though I suppose you are worried about canceled flights. Most likely you will not have a problem. We'll pray for ok weather for your departure time. Have a great trip. Ours is not for 386 days! Ouch!

Our cruise on CCL Conquest departs Miami on Sunday, September 14th. I depart Colorado Springs tomorrow at 10:30.

Snow is predicted for today but the weatherman promises it will blow on through and be gone by tomorrow. UGH! Just one more thing to be concerned about.

I'm from Canada. 'Nuf said. :D

Now, landing in snow on the way to a Caribbean cruise might be a bit disconcerting.;)

Edited by DirtyDawg

Buffalo new york is where i fly from. Breathe the airports in the winter belts are well taken care of. The pilots are winter experienced ... breathe. I have taken off many times in snow ,, the run ways are more well taken care of then the highways....

The only thing that can stop you in that word that starts with a B .......:( Blizzard. I have been very very very lucky and been on the last plane out of Buffalo for a cruise, but i had a back up plan just in case...

If you ever hear a lady (I use that term very loosely) yelling at the top of her lungs in the middle of the airport when there is a blizzard going on ...saying she needs a co driver to get to Miami in 2 days ... well that would be me.. winter cruises and coming from a snow belt i give myself 2 days to get there even if flying. enough time to drive... if i really had to.

Breathe you will be fine

In through the nose,1-2-3, out through the mouth, 1-2-3. In comes the soothing breath, out goes the tension. Or so my yoga teacher, ex-MIL taught me. it works for her.

It's just now getting daylight here in the mountains on the south slope of Pike's Peak and we are totally socked in with fog. Looked at the radar but I don't see anything really threatening. Would love it if the TV weatherman was just a little over zealous with his prediction.

Yup, almost every cruise we've ever taken we've left either during a snowstorm or shortly after. In fact, this is our backyard 2 days ago... and we fully expect to see the same next month when we depart for our Conquest cruise :) :10458725_426916474113441_148433868580258246_n.jpg?oh=c196952bc298b0dd70b9fab17742e1c1&oe=5493F190&__gda__=1422814681_8e1c45f840ca98edde33707f10544a27

In through the nose,1-2-3, out through the mouth, 1-2-3. In comes the soothing breath, out goes the tension. Or so my yoga teacher, ex-MIL taught me. it works for her.

It's just now getting daylight here in the mountains on the south slope of Pike's Peak and we are totally socked in with fog. Looked at the radar but I don't see anything really threatening. Would love it if the TV weatherman was just a little over zealous with his prediction.

Umm, I think he is over zealous. My weather app says just clouds for you and here in the metro it'll be 60 by the afternoon. Now, all day fog could be a bummer! Come on girl; you are in Colorado you shouldn't be worried until there is at least a foot on the ground!!

The closest I came to leaving from a snowy place to cruise was on our first cruise. It had snowed the week before. But I guess it makes some sense that the other cruises did not have snow since I live next door to the sun (or so it seems this time of year). Things will work out fine. Isn't there a saying or something about "leave for a cruise when it snows and you will have good luck the whole vacation" ... or is that rain on a wedding day :D

Happy sailing

Yup, almost every cruise we've ever taken we've left either during a snowstorm or shortly after. In fact, this is our backyard 2 days ago... and we fully expect to see the same next month when we depart for our Conquest cruise :) :10458725_426916474113441_148433868580258246_n.jpg?oh=c196952bc298b0dd70b9fab17742e1c1&oe=5493F190&__gda__=1422814681_8e1c45f840ca98edde33707f10544a27

from your fellow Canadian in Ontario.. can you please keep that white stuff at your end of the country this winter,, I thought your part of the country was trying to kill us this past winter when you all shared your white stuff.. I know we are the country of the true north ... strong and .... the rule this winter is no sharing allowed :D. you can keep it please. It pains me to see this picture in SEPT, it is the reason why i moved to this side of the country

I wouldn't worry. They will deice the wings before take-off if needed, and they will plow and treat the runway if needed. As long as you aren't trying to fly in a blizzard, you should be fine. You are going in a day early, so you have some leeway from a time perspective. As long as you can get to the airport, you should be fine. Now it might be another story when you get to Miami. Pack your umbrella!

http://www.weather.com/news/tropical-update-atlantic-pacific-hurricane-season-20140513

Have a great cruise!

Hey Shackyman, glad to hear you leaving on the Conquest, please take care of her for me, I will be going next year. Please take plenty of pictures and tell me all about her. Only thing is we will be leaving out of Fort Lauderdale.

I have never been on the Conquest so I would love all info. Thanks...

Ha! We are also from Calgary and the picture of my backyard would be identical to yours. Same furniture and everything. Thankfully, the snow has melted but now there are fallen trees everywhere. I went outside every few hours to shake the heavy wet snow off our tree branches so they wouldn't snap. All I could think of as I the tree would dump its load on my head was "Five more months till the cruise!"

Don't sweat it OP. Just have a back up plan. Odds are, you'll be fine.

All the time as a Clevelander. Heck, as a person that prefers moderate temperatures, the fact I'm leaving freezing weather is much of what makes heading for upper 80 degree temps tolerable.

As far as travel concerns, I always plan on arriving one day early. That way I have a 24 hour cushion.

Edited by FSRoberts

I cannot believe you are getting snow already!! 90 degrees expected today here in Florida. I would take a little cool weather in a heartbeat.. But not snow!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Same here in my part of sunny Florida. In fact, I'm more worried about a tropical depression/storm/hurricane forming that would stop me from flying to San Juan. ;)