Everything Viking "Passage to Eastern Europe" - Budapest to Bucharest

Peregrina651

• 4 weeks later...

Twenty six days and counting. Our docs arrived today--so picture Snoopy and me tripping the light fantastic.

I've gone through the box. It included red luggage tags, transfer tags, a booklet about the Danube and one booklet for each passenger with ticketing information (flights, hotels, etc.).

Most of the contents of the individual booklets is already available online; only the personalized details are missing. It answers a lot of questions --like money matters and tipping and luggage and dress codes.

Oh my 2 hours from airport! Thanks so much for this info

Yes, but we have a night in Bucharest and so no one will actually be going from the airport to the ship unless they have trouble with their flights and arrive late for the start of the trip. We will have to make the 2 hour drive between Bucharest and Guirgu, but at least it won't be after a long plane ride and it will be as part of the itinerary.

• 2 weeks later...

According to the Viking website: If you are traveling on a Viking Longship, your stateroom will have 110V electricity with North American–style plugs in the bathroom, near the desk and next to the bed.

BUT, it does not say if these outlets are two-prong or three-prong.

Does someone who has sailed previously know the answer?

Thanks.

I wrote quite a few details about the our verandah cabin on the Viking Atla on my blog post here. It includes photos and info about plugs, cupboards, working of the door, closets, etc.

I also am including here three photos of various plug locations and styles in the stateroom. (I know, who takes photos of those kinds of details, huh? But I wanted to be able to share the info with other first-timers 'cause it was information I was curious about before our river cruise).

IMG_1029_zpslrt7g2yi.jpg

IMG_1028_zpscisf3dyu.jpg

IMG_0958_zpsfhpdsgxg.jpg

I wrote quite a few details about the our verandah cabin on the Viking Atla on my blog post here. It includes photos and info about plugs, cupboards, working of the door, closets, etc.

I also am including here three photos of various plug locations and styles in the stateroom. (I know, who takes photos of those kinds of details, huh? But I wanted to be able to share the info with other first-timers 'cause it was information I was curious about before our river cruise).

IMG_1029_zpslrt7g2yi.jpg

IMG_1028_zpscisf3dyu.jpg

IMG_0958_zpsfhpdsgxg.jpg

Ukalady: People like US take pictures of things like outlets, shower stalls, closet space.....it's our JOB!!! Well done :D

Edited by Hydrokitty

Our trip is getting close now and I'm working on the last minute details--like packing.

The Viking website is full of very helpful information and while looking for the three prong outlet question, I also came across this information about internet and wi-fi on board the Longships:

For your convenience, most Viking ships have Internet access. Our ships in Europe, Russia and Ukraine have free Wi-Fi, so you can bring your laptop and get online at any time. Alternatively, each ship has a few computers for guest use; there are desktop machines in Russia and laptops in Europe that guests may use free of charge. [snip]

Please note that shipboard service may be unreliable during certain parts of the journey. The Internet connection functions via cellular service or satellite downlink, and there may be times when reception is not possible and/or when the connection is quite slow.
For this reason, we recommend only checking and sending email. We do not recommend downloading large files or watching video online.

I was thinking about backing up my photo files in the cloud but with slow internet service, it will be much less frustrating to put everything on a portable hard-drive--and I'll be returning the Chromebook with the 3-prong plug that is proving to be more of a problem than a solution.

Thank you, Ukalady.

I knew that it would be either you or Hydrokitty to give me just the right answer! The 110v outlets are 3-prong and you have the artwork to prove it. :D

Outlets or not, the new Chromebook is going back to the store and I'll wait for someone to produce a small, inexpensive and lightweight tablet with an SD card reader and a USB port (not holding my breath). Until then, my old "notebook" will just have to do.

BTW, do read Ukalady's blog. Not only is it fun to read but it is full of helpful information.

Thank you, Ukalady.

I knew that it would be either you or Hydrokitty to give me just the right answer! The 110v outlets are 3-prong and you have the artwork to prove it. :D

Outlets or not, the new Chromebook is going back to the store and I'll wait for someone to produce a small, inexpensive and lightweight tablet with an SD card reader and a USB port (not holding my breath). Until then, my old "notebook" will just have to do.

BTW, do read Ukalady's blog. Not only is it fun to read but it is full of helpful information.

I just download my SD card to my Ipad for a backup. :)

I always bring my MacBook Pro, which has an SD slot. Yes, the wall plug is 3-prong but it is 110/220 so all I need is an adapter. Even if the ship has thoughtfully installed 110 outlets (as shown above), European hotels don't. The adapter is small and light, so I just throw it in my computer case.

Ukalady: People like US take pictures of things like outlets, shower stalls, closet space.....it's our JOB!!! Well done :D

Yep. And it gets worse: last year I had a lot of people ask me what kinds of footwear fellow passengers were wearing (for comfort/style recommendations, I guess) so on several of our port visits, I'd snap pix of feet and ankles (nothing above the knees!) as we all walked along behind the red lollipop. Then I posted the photos (and was thanked by several readers).

At one excursion about a week into the trip, a woman whom I hadn't met yet walked up to me. "Are you the one taking pictures of people's feet on our boat?" she questioned. "I've heard about you."

Maybe that's why my husband didn't travel with me last year...:rolleyes:

Yep. And it gets worse: last year I had a lot of people ask me what kinds of footwear fellow passengers were wearing (for comfort/style recommendations, I guess) so on several of our port visits, I'd snap pix of feet and ankles (nothing above the knees!) as we all walked along behind the red lollipop. Then I posted the photos (and was thanked by several readers).

At one excursion about a week into the trip, a woman whom I hadn't met yet walked up to me. "Are you the one taking pictures of people's feet on our boat?" she questioned. "I've heard about you."

Maybe that's why my husband didn't travel with me last year...:rolleyes:

LOL....oops, maybe you're taking your "job" a little too seriously!! :D

LOL....oops, maybe you're taking your "job" a little too seriously!! :D

I don't know. Can a CruiseCritic take the job too seriously? No detail too small.

In the meantime, let the packing begin--electronics first, then the meds and if there is room, clothing. Charge batteries, re-format SD cards, line up batteries, chargers, cables, etc.

Woke up to white this morning but thrilled to see that Prague and Budapest were 30 degrees warmer than here.

I don't know. Can a CruiseCritic take the job too seriously? No detail too small.

In the meantime, let the packing begin--electronics first, then the meds and if there is room, clothing. Charge batteries, re-format SD cards, line up batteries, chargers, cables, etc.

Woke up to white this morning but thrilled to see that Prague and Budapest were 30 degrees warmer than here.

OMG -- we returned to the NY area on March 18 and were greeted with one final snowstorm, but that's it. No more, God -- winter is over!

And today it is 70 in Budapest and Prague. I'll just keep repeating that as Boston barely tops out in the 50s. It's going to be downright balmy and I better rethink some of my packing.

70 sounds wonderful. At least we're both having a nice day today!! :D

Viking has done the legwork for us. Here is a link to pdf summary of luggage restrictions for all the airlines that Viking deals with. Still double check with the airlines because this info can change.

Heads up, excess baggage fees are exorbitant--$60-100 per bag -- cheaper to pay for laundry.

We are flying Lufthansa all the way so we can have one carry-on of 18 lbs (8kg) and a personal item. Here are links for carry-on and checked.

Edited by Peregrina651

We are in Prague. What a beautiful city!

We are at the Hilton Probezni. Folks on other cruise itineraries were housed in other hotels. The hotel is well located and we can walk to everything we want to see.

That was the tease. More when I get a real keyboard.

H2O, thank you. It is off to a wonderful start.

Now that have a keyboard and a connection, I can report in. We have just finished two full days in Prague; tomorrow morning we are off to Budapest. Two days was just enough to wet our appetites. We spent our first day in the Castle District and our second wandering around the Old City area(Jewish Quarter, Charles Bridge, Astronomical Clock and the Mucha Museum). Last night we also did a one-hour cruise on the Vltava--a do it yourself sunset cruise. Prague Boats (a GrayLine company) offers hourly one hour cruises for just 11 euros per person plus the cost of the cab there and back.

Very full buffet breakfast in the Hilton. Lunch was sandwiches, day two at the terrace cafe of the Lobkowicz Palace and day three, at a very quiet and fairly empty Cafe Praha in the Old City. Dinner was at Kolkovna Celecine near Republice Square recommended by Viking where we sampled the Gulas and the pot roast with sweet gravy (another Czech dish) on the first night, in the hotel on the second night so we could make the 8pm cruise and the third night at the Cafe Imperial where we both had the Veal Schnitzel (white linen service for less than a meal at Outback).

Viking offers a tour to Lobkowicz Palace but you can do it on your own for much less and get everything included in the Viking package--concert, lunch and tour of the museum. The audioguide is included in your admission and is narrated by William Lobkowicz. The family story is fascinating and some of the family artifacts are mind-boggling.

IMHO, another night in Prague, giving you three full days would be even better! I've really enjoyed Prague and am sorry we did really have time to do any of the National art galleries.

Today we transfered from Prague to Budapest.

We were on the road by 8am. We stopped at 10 am for bathrooms and coffee at a roadside KFC. No fee for the bathrooms. Around noon, we stopped for lunch at another roadside place. You will need coin to enter the bathroom. 100HUF or .50 euro. There is a machine to make change of small euro or HUF notes. You can use a 1 euro coin and get change from the turnstile. The turnstile also gives you a 100HUF coupon which you then use to pay for your lunch. Lunch is self-serve. You can get a full-meal or as we did, just sandwiches. They accept HUF, Euros or credit cards.

The traffic was fairly light and we were in Budapest ahead of the 4pm scheduled arrival time. We are staying at the Hilton Castle District overlooking the Danube right at the Parliament Building. Great view.

We ate dinner just a half a block away at a restaurant called Pest Buda. I had the chicken paprikash and DH had one of the seasonal specials, a braised beef in a cream sauce.

We will have all day tomorrow to explore on our own (or to take the optional tours). The included tour will be Sunday as part of the transfer to the ship.

Edited by Peregrina651