Alaska or Hawaii (pls help this FL girl)

tbmrt

Preplanning for our 2015 vacation. We've been to most of the Caribbean ports and loved them, especially the Southern Caribbean. Not into Europe or Greece on a cruise.

DH wants to visit Alaska...I love the wildlife idea, but really dislike cold. I picture us sitting on a balcony, even with blankets, and really being cold. I've read that one can layer clothes when touring off the ship, but I'm still worried about being cold and not enjoying ports due to weather. Do you recommend taking a land vacation in addition to the cruise?

Also considering Hawaii, but wonder if it is worth the long flights and extra expense vs. visiting the many Caribbean ports that are near to our home in Florida. Not into the beaches next to big hotels.

Input appreciated.

Thank you.

Alaska!

We did Alaska in June and loved it - the only cold day was on our balcony when the ship went up toward the glacier. The rest of the days were like your winter rainy season - about 60-65 with occasional light rain and some beautiful sunny days in the 70s. :)

The scenery, landscape and whale watching are fabulous - go to Alaska!

We also live in Florida and just came back from 2 weeks in Hawaii. The weather was just like Florida, hot and humid. The beaches themselves were not like FL, small and rocky. The water was beautiful, clear and cold, but loved the snorkeling. Pearl Harbor was great. We were in Waikiki for a week and it was like being in a big city, so much traffic. We also did a week cruise on NCL around the islands which was nice. If we went back we would probably go to Maui or Kauai. Hawaii is beautiful, but similar to Florida or the Carribbean.

In June 2013, we did a 2 week vacation in Alaska. Flew into Anchorage and spent a week on land. Went to Danali which was fantastic. We saw Mt McKinley on our way to and from Danali and so much wildlife on our trip to the Eileson Visitors center. It was so neat. We spent a couple nights in Seward before our cruise left and we hiked Exit Glacier which was strenuous but awesome. Our highlight of the trip. Also took Kenai Fjords National park boat tour and saw so many whales and other animals. Everything we did on land just kept getting better and better. We took the Celebrity Millennium from Seward to Vancouver and had a great time. Saw Mendenhall glacier and rode The tram in Juneau, took the White Pass Rail in Skagway, hunted for bears in Icy Straight Point and saw a Totem Bright Park and went salmon fishing in Ketchikan. The weather was in the 70-80's and sunny except for a half day in Denali and Skagway. We had our rain jackets and kept on going. It was a bit chilly on our balcony but we wore our jackets.

If we could choose where to go for a second time it would be Alaska. It is so different than Florida and the Carribbean, you'll love it.

Wow, they are so different it's like the old apples & oranges. I've done two Hawaii repo cruises on RCL, Honolulu, the islands, back to Vancouver. I absolutely love Hawaii, can't get enough of the natural beauty, a few days in Waikiki is enough for me, but I get out of the tourist area and take tours to other parts of Oahu. I loved Kauai's Weimia Canyon and Maui's Halakela Crater. Yes, the weather is like back home in Florida, but I find the locals so friendly and fun. In Alaska I've been there on the first cruise of the season in May and the last one in September, weather was all over the place. Next year I am finally going to do a cruise tour from Fairbanks to Seward, then RCL cruise to Vancouver. Yes, you can certainly do the land portion of Alaska on your own, but they have such a short season the hotels etc are super expensive and difficult to find openings with all of the cruise lines tours. Wish I had done that when I was younger and could have done more outdoor stuff.

I guess in the future I will be more likely to do a Hawaiian repo cruise again. I fly out of Orlando and rather than do the 14 hour to Honolulu I fly into Seattle, stay overnight (or longer) then fly to Honolulu. Surprisingly it's been less expensive than the direct flight.

We have been on a cruise to Hawaii and twice to Alaska, also several Caribbean cruises.

First of all, Hawaii is nothing like the Caribbean. Weather may be similar but after that there is nothing alike except palm trees. The Caribbean is about beaches and that's all, Hawaii is beaches, but mountains, volcano's, lush forests, Pearl Harbor, Black sand beaches, huge waterfalls, , really just a paradise.

Alaska, on the other hand is about scenery, wildlife and, as they say in Alaska, 'The Last Frontier'. Yes, Alaska will be colder than the Caribbean and Hawaii, but you need to broaden your horizons and see what this world has to offer beyond the Caribbean. Depending on when you might go to Alaska, don't think Sgt Preston of the Yukon here. The ports themselves are warm, and cruising could get a bit chilly, but not winter clothes. Just a light jacket. The only time you might feel cold is by the glaciers and that is what you go to Alaska for.

Again, I understand it is hard choice, but if some one told us we could go to either one, I would choose Hawaii. There is just to much to see and do, and it truly is a paradise.

Cheers

Len

Only you can know you, but I get leery when I see people reporting that when they went to Alaska five years ago it was 80 degrees every day, etc, etc.

I live here. This particular summer, it's rained nearly every day, and most of the rain was miserable, pouring variety, not even our gentle rain. There've been whole weeks that I've just shook my head as I looked at the channel full of ships and thought, those poor saps. Unfortunately, the nature of the beast that is cruise travel is, you're in a particular port on one day only and sometimes for just part of a day. Our weather can turn on a dime, but I've seen lovely sunny evenings occur just as the last ship pulls out, so you get nothing but a nice sail-away.

If you're unable to roll with the punches, make quick change of plans, have a good time no matter what, I'd say that Alaska is not the destination for you. No judgement there. It's your vacation and the idea is to have a good time. You shouldn't have to suffer on vacation!

Of course I don't find Alaska's weather miserable; I live here. But I become downright ill in places like Florida with the heat and humidity. I've still been there to visit family and see Disneyworld, but decades later, I can feel the misery of that weather.

Hawaii has weather similar to Florida, so if that's what you do well in, I'd say go there. But we'll welcome you to Alaska and try to change your mind if you're willing to give it a chance! :D

Well you've asked for others opinions and here is mine. We have cruised many times, primarily to the Caribbean and once to Hawaii. This past June

1st we cruised Alaska out of Seattle, flying first to Vancouver for 3 days, then taking the train to Seattle and sailing out from there. We live in Ontario where this past winter was one of the worst that we have experienced in a

l o n g time. Anyway, my decision, if I were you, would be to head to Alaska. You have nice weather and beautiful beaches most of the time, and while the weather in Alaska may be colder that you would like, if you wear your clothes in layers, bring a warm hat and a pair of gloves (which I only needed when sailing Glacier Bay and our one and only rainy day in Juneau), a waterproof jacket and sweat shirt, you will be fine. The scenery and sights will be like no other vacation you have taken. During our day in Ketchikan I did not even need a jacket and that was in the first week of June. Research this board and you will get a wealth of information and don't look back.

You will not regret this trip. (P.S. Vancouver was beautiful, don't hesitate to cruise to Alaska from there if the itinerary suits you!)

If it helps any, the Radiance of the Seas has the Solarium pool area that is heated up and seems tropical. There are lots of lounge chairs in there and you could lounge in there all nice and warm and watch the scenery go by.

That won't help you during your tours, but at least you'd have a special warm place on the ship.

We went the last week of June in 2011. I only felt cold and damp one day and that was Juneau. It was just a little drizzle and we still had fun anyway. We loved Alaska so much, we have another one planned for next year.

Hawaii is on our bucket list too. In fact, our ship is going to Hawaii after we get off. Boy, would I love to stay on and sail down to Hawaii after Alaska.

This is what I've been looking for.

Barbara

Hello Barbara

If it's any help this is what my Alaska cruise looked like weather-wise at Juneau, Skagway, Glacier Bay and Ketchikan (but it was more or less high summer :))

[YOUTUBE]KV1XSxkNCl4[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]GOMA2HeTGJw[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]3WSaRzt5N0Q[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]aFpz4AHOcUs[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]hLutZrgzE6I[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]Yq9hXgdj_J8[/YOUTUBE]

Overall the weather was very nice, and on the occasions it rained I reminded myself if it didn't rain we wouldn't have all those glaciers and waterfalls. All the best, Tony

I have been to both and loved both and would return to both. That being said my favorite spot is Maui. I am planning a 2 week land vacation to Hawaii in 2016 for our 20th wedding anniversary.

Alaska is beautiful as well. We spent 20 days there in 2010. We did the interior of Alaska on our own and then boarded Radiance of the Seas for the southbound cruise to Vancouver. We boarded the ship on May 28. It had been HOT during the interior portion of our vacation. The only day it was chilly was the day of glacier viewing. They sold Kailua and hot chocolate, so we were good being a little chilly.

Both are great vacations and great adventures!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We live in Florida also. We went to Hawaii in July of 2012 with our family of 6. We absolutely loved Hawaii and did not compare it to Florida at all. You can be on the beach in the morning and in the mountains in the afternoon. The sights and smells are some of the most wonderful things I have ever witnessed. Our children ( 3 teens and a tween at the time) were literally crying in the airport when we left because they loved Hawaii so much.

We will be going to Alaska next June to see a different set of sights. We are very excited to visit and are looking forward to the cooler weather. I am really the one who wanted to go to Alaska and am glad that this dream will finally come true(God willing).

Price wise, we are paying about the same for each trip. If you fly to Hawaii, I highly recommend Hawaiian Airlines. Maybe you can go to one Hawaii one year and Alaska the next. Just remember that you are on vacation wherever you go and you will be creating wonderful memories!

I travel to both Alaska and Hawaii every year and would not give up either. :)

But they are totally different touring areas, neither like the Caribbean or Florida. :)

Hawaii offers plenty of drive up beauty and overall, if you get a rental car, very reasonable cost of touring. Alaska, in my opinion, is more touring money and not the place to skimp. Way more costly options to consider.

It depends on you. You do need to be well prepared for all kinds of weather with layers the key. Overall, I would speculate people do not spend anywhere near the time out on a balcony compared to the Caribbean, and certainly no dining. :)

As for spending time mainland- certainly very worthwhile- with TIME your best friend. Go for as long as you can afford.

Since we live on the west coast, Hawaii is much easier for us than those living in Florida.

We have done seven Alaskan cruises, some with land tours included. Our most favorite Alaskan cruise included a five-day land tour from Calgary to Vancouver then on to the ship. In fact, we are doing it again next June as a group of our Catalina Island friends asked us to go with them.

We have gone to Hawaii probably 15 times by air and always had a good time. We did do one Hawaiian cruise from Los Angeles R/T and it was very easy for us to do. Only 20 minutes to the dock. You don't see a lot of Hawaii this way though. Also, 4 sea days to and from the west coast. You can't go wrong with either choice.