Five bottles of booze . . .

crooozer

Our understanding is that reserving an Oceania Suite entitles us to 5 bottles of booze in the room. We actually rarely drink, so this is not a big deal for us. Can we ask Oceania to substitute something else (onboard credit, for instance?) We don't want to carry bottles off at the end of the trip, and we are not big partiers. Thanks for any suggestions!

Our understanding is that reserving an Oceania Suite entitles us to 5 bottles of booze in the room. We actually rarely drink, so this is not a big deal for us. Can we ask Oceania to substitute something else (onboard credit, for instance?) We don't want to carry bottles off at the end of the trip, and we are not big partiers. Thanks for any suggestions!

You may ask, but they won't do it:) we were in the same situation, and did ask, and oceania would not sub anything else. So we shared with others on the cruise...good way to make new friends.we just got 6 bottles of wine...I believe they give you 6 bottles rather than 5.

Richard

It IS six bottles, not five. If you don't think you'll use them yourselves, why not invite friends in for a cocktail party since you're in an OC? They will use up a lot of that liquor. Just ask them in advance if they prefer wine or hard liquor, since that will affect which bottles you request. (Originally there wasn't a choice, it was just 4 bottles of hard liquor, 1 of red wine, 1 of white wine. But nowadays they let you select exactly what you want.)

Some years ago -- June '06 to be exact -- a high school friend (whom I hadn't seen since high school) made it late to the ship because airlines cancelled flights. So we left from Dover and they didn't make it to the ship until Oslo. As I recall, that was two days later.

The ship gave them a bottle of champagne as an apology but the couple were both recovering alcoholics and didn't want liquor. They asked if they could have something else in exchange, and the answer was no. Now back then everyone was paying for water and sodas, but it would seem that they could have had a 6 pack of sodas in exchange for the champagne, doncha think?

But it didn't happen. As a result of all the problems they had, they've never booked on Oceania again. Perhaps a 6 pack of Coke would have brought them back, but we'll never know.

Mura

We received 6 bottles of booze in our Vista Suite (which was an unexpected free upgrade) for a TEN days cruise. We are not big drinkers. I have an occasional glass of wine; maybe one a day; maybe two at a big meal; my husband rarely drinks -- an occasional mai tai or a beer.

We shared the wine with anyone and everyone. I took a bottle at every shared meal in the specialties -- strangers became good friends quickly LOL -- and we had guests for dinner in the suite. It's a good "icebreaker."

I don't drink and DW drinks champagne. Good champagne LOL.

Once we were able to trade 4 bottles of liquor (I think, not 100% sure) for 1 bottle of champagne.

Other times we took the advice given above and had a party. Did that a few times. (Right, Mura??) :)

I guarantee you....if you have a party, SOMEBODY will drink it

gary

We pre-ordered only wine and had no problem. We also exchanged some of the wine after trying one bottle and found it to be not to our liking. The butler will make any exchanges for you.

Our butler this past Feb. was not very accommodating in making changes for us. We do not drink champagne and asked him to replace our champagne with a bottle of the Pouilly Fuisse that is on the standard wine menu. Instead, he returned with a bottle of La Terre Chardonnay (the cheapest wine on the wine list) and said that was the only substitution he was allowed to make. We are not wine snobs but we found the La Terre to be totally undrinkable.:(

I don't drink and DW drinks champagne. Good champagne LOL.

Once we were able to trade 4 bottles of liquor (I think, not 100% sure) for 1 bottle of champagne.

Other times we took the advice given above and had a party. Did that a few times. (Right, Mura??) :)

I guarantee you....if you have a party, SOMEBODY will drink it

gary

Absolutely right, Gary!!!! :)

Mura

The list of hard liquor choices is quite extensive. There are especially a lot of vodkas available. I would say there are some top drawer choices available (Wild Turkey in bourbon as an example or Tanqueray gin) but whether you would call them top drawer, I can't guess. OTOH, the list of wines was (I thought) rather limited.

Mura

The list of hard liquor choices is quite extensive. There are especially a lot of vodkas available. I would say there are some top drawer choices available (Wild Turkey in bourbon as an example or Tanqueray gin) but whether you would call them top drawer, I can't guess. OTOH, the list of wines was (I thought) rather limited.

Mura

+ 1 The list of included whites was pitiful.

Edited by orchestrapal