Help me choose which Princess ship for Alaskan cruise

cruzemaven

We are planning on taking our ten year old grandson on a 2015 Alaskan cruise for his birthday. We are looking at the itineraries on the following ships: Star Princess, Golden Princess and The Pacific Princess. Would love to have input on which ship in general is the best choice. More specifically, which one has more activities for children? Also, the overall maintenance of the ship is very important to us. Which of the three is in the best condition? We are currently booked on The Celebrity Infinity Alaskan Cruise for next summer but will be canceling after hearing from friends, who have just disembarked, that many cabins are in shabby condition and the ship needs to be dry docked and refurbished. And as far as I can tell, that is not on the schedule. However, they did say that the Aqua cabins had been redone so they were fine. They also were very disappointed in the food. So, I would greatly appreciate hearing from those of you who know...which is the best of the three mentioned? The itineraries are fine and not really a factor in our decision. Thank you.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We love the small ships (Pacific Princess), but with only 680 passengers there will probably be few children. There is only a kids program on her if there are at least 15 children on the cruise.

We loved the Star, but have not been on the Golden, so can't help you there.

We are planning on taking our ten year old grandson on a 2015 Alaskan cruise for his birthday. We are looking at the itineraries on the following ships: Star Princess, Golden Princess and The Pacific Princess. Would love to have input on which ship in general is the best choice. More specifically, which one has more activities for children? Also, the overall maintenance of the ship is very important to us. Which of the three is in the best condition? We are currently booked on The Celebrity Infinity Alaskan Cruise for next summer but will be canceling after hearing from friends, who have just disembarked, that many cabins are in shabby condition and the ship needs to be dry docked and refurbished. And as far as I can tell, that is not on the schedule. However, they did say that the Aqua cabins had been redone so they were fine. They also were very disappointed in the food. So, I would greatly appreciate hearing from those of you who know...which is the best of the three mentioned? The itineraries are fine and not really a factor in our decision. Thank you.

I’d advise against the Pacific Princess, she’s small and cramped, one dinner system, “traditional”, Cbins are small, we had a wheelchair mini suite, which was smaller than a w/c balcony on the lager ships, and hard to move around in, hallways were also narrow. :eek:

Cato :)

With a ten year old, I would also advise against the Pacific Princess. While she is a beautiful ship, she is just not going to have the flexibility and range that the Golden and Star have to keep a 10 year old happy and offer him an outstanding experience.

Both the Golden and the Star will, so it really comes down to itinerary and convenience for you when choosing between the two. How much port time is offered by each, is Glacier Bay included on both itineraries? Honestly, having Glacier Bay on the itinerary is what would make or break our decision, second factor is having more time in the ports.

Will you adopt me??;)

All these ships (the three Princess and the one Celeb) are 12-plus years old, so keep that in mind when you talk about tired. The Golden was the most recently refurbished, in 2012. Still you'll find a few reviews that call it "tired." I guess people want all their ships to be fresh as a daisy.

As others have said, Pacific Princess would be the first one to throw out because it's probably going to be an older population and not going to have much for kids.

Between the Golden and Star, I might lean toward the Golden (just to be clear, I've never been on any of these ships, just doing the logic). But I'd put itinerary first. Go on a cruise that includes Glacier Bay, not one of the lesser sights.

Jim

FYI: I'm looking at the Princess site and seeing a whole different list of ships for summer 2015. There's no Golden, but lots of cruises on Crown, Coral, etc.

Jim

According to the new 2015 - 2016 Princess Cruise Atlas Princess will have 7 ships doing Alaskan cruises during 2015. Coral, Crown, Golden, Grand, Ruby, Star, and Pacific.

The Crown and Ruby will operate round trip out of Seattle. The Golden will operate round trip 10 day cruises out of San Francisco. The others will run between Anchorage and Vancouver.

According to the new 2015 - 2016 Princess Cruise Atlas Princess will have 7 ships doing Alaskan cruises during 2015. Coral, Crown, Golden, Grand, Ruby, Star, and Pacific.

The Crown and Ruby will operate round trip out of Seattle. The Golden will operate round trip 10 day cruises out of San Francisco. The others will run between Anchorage and Vancouver.

Right you are. I stand corrected. My search for for 6-8 day cruises, so it didn't turn up a 10-day out of SF.

Jim

I am treating my mother to a 10 day Alaskan Cruise on the Golden next September. I chose that cruise simply because I lived in Vancouver for 9 years and have spent a lot of time in Seattle and Vancouver plus I think San Fran will be an interesting city to explore. (I have never been to San Fran but my mum has been twice.)

We were on the Star in February, and she's in great condition. Both the Star and Golden will have children's programs for your grandson. Enjoy--we loved Alaska and what a wonderful opportunity to treat your grandson to such a special place.

We were on the Star last May RT Seattle including Glacier Bay and loved it. The ship was in great shape and we had a terrific cruise. I can't comment specifically on kid's activities an it was just dh and me, and we went in May so it wasn't summer break yet. I agree Glacier Bay is a must see, and we also took a private excursion out of Juneau up Tracy Arm, so we got to experience both glaciers.

Thank you all for your suggestions. Will probably book The Star Princess. We will be onboard The Regal in November. Is it advantageous to book this future Alaskan cruise while we are onboard or is it the same if I just booked it online? I know on Celebrity there is usually a perk or two if you book a future cruise while onboard.

Thank you all for your suggestions. Will probably book The Star Princess. We will be onboard The Regal in November. Is it advantageous to book this future Alaskan cruise while we are onboard or is it the same if I just booked it online? I know on Celebrity there is usually a perk or two if you book a future cruise while onboard.

There are no extra perks for booking while on board. Buy your FCCs on board and you can book at any time.

We never book onboard, just buy the FCC's and book when we get home. ;)

And don't forget the usual paperwork if the parents aren't going with you. Then you'll need them to sign off on your taking him (notarized) along with a permission for medical treatment, just in case. Plus a valid birth certificate (not the paper notice of birth gets in the hospital) if the boy doesn't have a passport.

The pricing right now may be better than if you wait until you sail on the Regal. There is usually an additional OBC for booking on board, not a large one, maybe about $50 pp depending upon the cruise. There is a sale going on for Alaska 2015 now, (this morning I saved $1300 on two bookings by calling Princes for a reprice) and those have OBC associated with the bookings.

I'm helping a friend plan an Alaskan cruise for Aug. 2015 and have narrowed down choices to either Princess or HAL. We did HAL cruise tour and did not have any problems w/ HAL but ship was in need of refurbishment.

I am leaning towards Star based upon above comments and we have cruised on Star many years ago.

My questions are: 1) how was the food, knowing that everyone has differing opinions on food on cruise ships; 2) did they have guest lecturers onboard? These are two of the main things my friends would like.

Thanks for your help! Any OBC or special offers right now?

It depends on which port you want to leave from. The Star Princess leaves out of San Francisco and is a 10-day cruise. This is the one we cruise on because we can drive to the port. I believe she's in good shape, clean, and find no fault with the food. We always book a Caribe cabin due to the balconies being larger than others. I can't tell you about activities for children. There will be a naturalist on board who will point out wildlife (whales, dolphins, etc), during the cruise.

Also, San Francisco has many things to see and do for children: The zoo, museum, Alcatraz, Angel Island, Fisherman's Wharf, just to name a few.

Good luck in whatever you choose. Princess is more laid back and you will find more senior citizens than children.

Edited by onthehighseas606
computer went goofy

I'm helping a friend plan an Alaskan cruise for Aug. 2015 and have narrowed down choices to either Princess or HAL. We did HAL cruise tour and did not have any problems w/ HAL but ship was in need of refurbishment.

I am leaning towards Star based upon above comments and we have cruised on Star many years ago.

My questions are: 1) how was the food, knowing that everyone has differing opinions on food on cruise ships; 2) did they have guest lecturers onboard? These are two of the main things my friends would like.

Thanks for your help! Any OBC or special offers right now?

Cannot comment on the condition of the Star, but I can tell you that we have been very pleased with the food on Princess. Princess always has a naturalist on board for Alaska sailings. He or she will do lectures, and also provide commentary from the bridge during the visit to Glacier Bay and at other appropriate times - extended sea life sightings, College Fjord, etc. In addition, in Glacier Bay Princess National Park Service Rangers on board. They provide information, additional commentary and also do a Jr. Ranger program for children. In Alaska Princess does an outstanding job.

I do not know if you have to be a past passenger on Princess or not, but they have the 2015 Alaska sailings on sale, with OBC and some excellent (IMHO) pricing at the moment. It is definitely worth taking a look at their website and that of your favorite on line travel agents (plural intended).

There is usually an additional OBC for booking on board, not a large one, maybe about $50 pp depending upon the cruise.

Buy your FCCs on board, and that's how u get the OBC - but it's the same amount whether you book on board, or 6 months later online. I have never heard of anyone getting additional OBC just for booking their next cruise while still on board. FYI: We were on the Star in May to Alaska and it was exceptional - food, service, condition of ship.

Berni

I have been on both the Star and Golden in Alaska multiple times. They are nearly identical. If I had to choose between the two, I'd do so based on itinerary! Glacier Bay is a big deciding factor. The longer sailing from San Francisco only adds sea days, not more time in Alaska.

Buy your FCCs on board, and that's how u get the OBC - but it's the same amount whether you book on board, or 6 months later online. I have never heard of anyone getting additional OBC just for booking their next cruise while still on board. FYI: We were on the Star in May to Alaska and it was exceptional - food, service, condition of ship.

Berni

We just booked while we were on board in August and did indeed get additional credit, over and above the FCC for booking on board. I would not mention it if it had not been the case for me personally.