Golden Drydock

cdnphotogirl

Anyone know what happened to the early 2014 scheduled drydock for the Golden? I have seen posting that it was scheduled for a dry dock for upgrades, specifically fixing the issues with the Horizon Court but I have read recent reviews and they report the same issues. If it was postponed, when is it going to happen?

Edited by cdnphotogirl
fix punctuation

This is my third try at posting and for some reason they are not showing up.

I have read numerous reviews of the Golden Princess and almost all report issues with the Horizon Court. Most report that there is not enough seating and there seems to be quite a few people floating around looking for somewhere to sit. Also, the flow of moving people in the service area is reported to be very poor.

The cruise critic review states; "Golden Princess is in line to get another refurb in early 2014, when cosmetic work will be done to fix spots that are showing some wear. The most noteworthy change will come in the ship's Horizon Court, its buffet area, which will be expanded to improve the flow."

I have read numerous reviews of the Golden Princess and almost all report issues with the Horizon Court. Most report that there is not enough seating and there seems to be quite a few people floating around looking for somewhere to sit. Also, the flow of moving people in the service area is reported to be very poor.

The cruise critic review states; "Golden Princess is in line to get another refurb in early 2014, when cosmetic work will be done to fix spots that are showing some wear. The most noteworthy change will come in the ship's Horizon Court, its buffet area, which will be expanded to improve the flow."

Hmmmm....I've been on the Golden a couple of times and I never noticed any problem with the flow in the Horizon Court. I have more of an issue with the flow in the ships with the extra deck of passengers, such as the Crown. But not enough of an issue to keep me from booking more cruises on them :D

As said before, you shouldn't believe everything you read...

If it was one or two person commenting it would be no big deal but issues in Horizon Court were mentioned in almost every review I read but I am booked so I will see for myself next year. :D

She's a wonderful ship and I'd sail her again in a heartbeat. Yes, HC can get crowded at times, no big deal though...

• 1 month later...

The Horizon Court on the Golden is exactly like most of the other Grand-class ships so if there's a problem on one, there would be problems on all of them.

Most people forget or don't even realize that there's a large area with lots of tables towards the aft on the other side of the elevators not to mention the tables on the Horizon Terrace or around the Calypso pool. That doesn't mean that there's a lack of seating... the people who complained probably didn't go further than the immediate area around the food area. I've never had a problem finding a seat or table on any Princess ship in the buffet. Sometimes, I've shared but that's OK. I meet the nicest people that way.

Edited by Pam in CA

I was just on the Golden. Not sure what issues had been reported at Horizon Court. All looked great to me...and appeared to be recently updated.

The Golden has the old style buffet, where some of the other ships (e.g. the Star) have a separate area for deserts. The flow improves with that one change. The Golden's buffet is just dinky. There is also no Cafe Caribe to help offset the crowds. I try to avoid the buffet area. My waiter on the recent Golden cruise told me the ship is due for a two-week dry dock in March. I doubt there will be a complete buffet redo in that time.

Oh wow. I didn't realize that. I've never been on those. I assumed it was on only the "Caribbean".

Does the Caribe really help with traffic flow in HC?

These four ships have about 500 more passengers than the earlier Grand class ships. Having a second buffet area does help.