Carnival and Mediterranean

chumley28540

Now that the Carnival Vista had been delayed from February 2016 until April 2016, there is a higher chance of a return to Europe for Carnival. Norwegian's recent new builds had their inaugural TA in January without any European itineraries. With that in mind, the European cruise season begins in April when most ships head over from the US.

Carnival pulled out because they had to deeply discount the cruise fare to offset the transatlantic airfare prices their target demographic was unable to justify paying/afford, as per a company spokesperson. If the profit isn't there, Carnival won't be there.

Edited by Disconnections

'16 when the vista is built. Should be exciting. Wish they sent at least one ship over every summer. Maybe a 7 day cycle would be nicer on the wallet than a 12/9 day cycle. Oh well. Carnival has probably looked into it already.

But to answer your question, 2016 on the Carnival Vista.

'16 when the vista is built. Should be exciting. Wish they sent at least one ship over every summer. Maybe a 7 day cycle would be nicer on the wallet than a 12/9 day cycle. Oh well. Carnival has probably looked into it already.

But to answer your question, 2016 on the Carnival Vista.

Do you have evidence of this? You say it like it's fact.

The challenge for Carnival in being successful in the Med is identifying and attracting its customer base. It has a number of challenges.

While people sail Carnival for a variety of reasons, a significant part of the base is customers who are very price conscious. Think of all the postings you see from people who comment on things that may or may not cost another $20 or $50 (or who explain how they pay off their $500 balance over six months, or who describe how they drive 12 hours to the port because it is cheaper than flying). A large portion of Carnival's customers are priced out of the market by the cost of transatlantic airfare, likely the cost of a couple hotel nights, etc.

The alternative is to draw from European markets. But there are challenges here too. Carnival is competing against European cruise lines in a product/service space where "American" may be seen by some as more of a negative than a positive. Carnival could help itself there by making its Mediterranean cruise experience more international. But Carnival's Med experience is almost indistinguishable from its Caribbean experience.

And, of course, Carnival is competing against its own related companies (some of which are in the same part of the market, and some of which are in very different parts): AIDA, Costa, Cunard, HAL, Ibero, P&O.

I think the biggest issue really is the client demographic, if Americans cannot do these cruises due to cost of getting there, there isn't really anyone to go on these as most Europeans who want to cruise already are, and with companies that are specifically targeted at them, and those Americans who can afford the airfare, are using RC, COSTA and the likes of P&O because they can afford to.

Plus, one thing that bothered me, and I'll bring it up.

There was a woman who did one of Carnivals Med sailings and in her trip report complained non stop about the fact that the food was different/people were not speaking English/she didn't want to get off the boat as she would get lost and not be able to ask for help. And no offense, this is what Europeans think the 'typical American' is like when traveling. And from what I hear, these complaints were abundant. These people need to travel on Disney so as to be sated with their need for mass produced food stuffs and entertainment.

There are too many issues to contend with for Carnival and its demographic of clientele to have any kind of regular and successful Med seasons.

I think the biggest issue really is the client demographic, if Americans cannot do these cruises due to cost of getting there, there isn't really anyone to go on these as most Europeans who want to cruise already are, and with companies that are specifically targeted at them, and those Americans who can afford the airfare, are using RC, COSTA and the likes of P&O because they can afford to.

There was a woman who did one of Carnivals Med sailings and in her trip report complained non stop about the fact that the food was different/people were not speaking English/she didn't want to get off the boat as she would get lost and not be able to ask for help. And no offense, this is what Europeans think the 'typical American' is like when traveling. And from what I hear, these complaints were abundant. These people need to travel on Disney so as to be sated with their need for mass produced food stuffs and entertainment.

There are too many issues to contend with for Carnival and its demographic of clientele to have any kind of regular and successful Med seasons.

Carnival will never do "regular" med cruise seasons, but that being said, when a new build comes out, it makes sense for them to strongly consider spending a season in the med for a host of reasons. It is a true that their demographic is strongly American cruisers. When we sailed the Liberty, it was mostly Americans on the ship. I can't comment on your post of an American afraid to get off the ship except to say when we sailed(on Carnival in the med) that was not the case.

If the Vista does 12-day Med itineraries my family will be there. We are not novice European travelers but do like to get value for our money and we have so far enjoyed the Carnival product. If the beards decide that the Med is not going to be profitable for them and sail Vista directly to the US we will still do the trip but most likely on Royal Caribbean.

I was on the Sunshine there, Carnivals last ship in the Med, as whatever you read from that trip report isn't accurate beyond the writer.

Food was, for the most part, the same as any other Carnival cruise.

Many languages were spoken and I didn't see or hear of one issue.

People got off the ship in droves, English speakers and all and it wasn't an issue.

I serious question where you "heard" about these abundant complaints???

Edited by fuddrules

Since the Vista is the first of a class would be surprised if its first cruise was a TA.

Breakaway, Getaway and Escape all had/have their first as a TA, with Breakaway the first of the class.

I haven't looked much into Royal's TAs this/next year, but I don't think there are any on the Quantum before her TA to Cape Liberry.

Edited by Disconnections

Breakaway, Getaway and Escape all had/have their first as a TA, with Breakaway the first of the class.

I haven't looked much into Royal's TAs this/next year, but I don't think there are any on the Quantum before her TA to Cape Liberry.

True, and I think you are correct that at least Quantum is coming directly over. I wonder if the driver for that is time of year?

True, and I think you are correct that at least Quantum is coming directly over. I wonder if the driver for that is time of year?

I believe (not 100% sure - I don't follow NCL closely) that Breakaway was in January, Getaway in April and the Escape either the last week of Oct or first of Nov with the Quantum in November.

Typically, ships are doing a USA-Europe TA in April, not a brand new ship doing a Europe-USA TA in the same month. Cunard, on the other hand, sometimes goes back and forth.

I kind of remember a first of a class (possibly Royal Princess) suffering a major breakdown while during an early season European cruise.

Wouldnt be a greast thing to have that happen in the middle of the Atlantic

Also remember Dream and Sunshine having all kind of problems on its first cruises.

I kind of remember a first of a class (possibly Royal Princess) suffering a major breakdown while during an early season European cruise.

Also remember Dream and Sunshine having all kind of problems on its first cruises.

Of course, it would be tragic for something to happen in the middle.

On our Magic TA, we were diverted from Grand Turk to an overnight in Freeport to repair the stern thrusters. Carnival felt adequate compensation was an extra lobster night and bringing the brand ambassador onboard for two days for a Meet & Greet. This was in addition to the required refund of port charges.

There certainly are good reasons to have break in cruises when it works out for that. Sunshine was just pure not ready. I also kind of remember the Princess incident.

There certainly are good reasons to have break in cruises when it works out for that. Sunshine was just pure not ready. I also kind of remember the Princess incident.

This is what I found about the Royal Princess' power failure incident.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/news/2013/09/23/royal-princess-power-outage/2854015/

Of course, it would be tragic for something to happen in the middle.

On our Magic TA, we were diverted from Grand Turk to an overnight in Freeport to repair the stern thrusters. Carnival felt adequate compensation was an extra lobster night and bringing the brand ambassador onboard for two days for a Meet & Greet. This was in addition to the required refund of port charges.

Priceless to have brand ambassador come onto the ship. Kind of getting a bloggers cruise at no extra cost.

And more time at Freeport hmmm. First cruise we went there and took a tour of the island. Fell asleep about 10 minutes into the tour and think it was the highlight of the tour.

Luckily have never had to go back to Freeport.

We usually cruise Carnival but this summer we cruised HAL out of venice.. It was enjoyable and actually cheap. (Airfare wasn't awful)

The "Airfare wasn't awful" can mean different things for different people. Since the maiden voyage of the Breeze, my wife and I became hooked on cruising in Europe, and we now go every year. When we looked at booking airfare for our upcoming cruise this year, it is about $3,800 for the two of us round trip from DFW to Heathrow which amounts to $1,900 per person..that us the cheapest we can find. Now what I have noticed on most of the Carnival cruises I have cruised on, there are a lot of kids traveling....so take the $3,800 and for a family of 4, you are now at $7,600 just to fly over there. Now add in cruise fare and excursions, and you are probably at $13,000 - $14,000....Carnival is all about the value vacation, and they do a really good job at that, but the airfare does have a prohibitive effect, and since Carnival is a business, they need to make money which means they would probably want to sail with their ships at or close to capacity. However, on some of the premium cruise lines such as Princess or Celebrity, they pretty much send all of their ships overseas in the summer because their passengers are willing to pay more, and therefore are willing to pay the cost to get over there. Also what I noticed this year on our Baltic Cruise on the Royal Princess was that the age of the cruiser was a lot older than what you see on Princess, and there were hardly any children on the boat.

This is what I found about the Royal Princess' power failure incident.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/news/2013/09/23/royal-princess-power-outage/2854015/

We were on the Sunshine when the Royal Princess had their power failure. We were supposed to be in Naples for our 20th wedding anniversary, but Princess needed the berth to disembark passengers, so our itinerary was adjusted and instead we spent our 20th anniversary in Sicily instead.....we still had a great time though!!

Having read some of the postings about the Med cruises (although not recently), that is also my recollection. In particular, I remember someone complaining about announcements in other than English. I remember that comment in particular because when we were on a Louis Cruise in the Greek Islands (my favorite cruise of all time), every announcement was in 3 or 4 languages (Greek, English and Italian, I think, and maybe French or Spanish). When we sailed on the Magic in the Med the next year, having read the complaining comment, I expected the same (multiple languages). I actually felt quite uncomfortable that the announcements were only in English (except the ones directed at specific passengers or groups). It sort of felt like we were being disrespectful to them by only using our language.

The "Airfare wasn't awful" can mean different things for different people. Since the maiden voyage of the Breeze, my wife and I became hooked on cruising in Europe, and we now go every year. When we looked at booking airfare for our upcoming cruise this year, it is about $3,800 for the two of us round trip from DFW to Heathrow which amounts to $1,900 per person..that us the cheapest we can find. Now what I have noticed on most of the Carnival cruises I have cruised on, there are a lot of kids traveling....so take the $3,800 and for a family of 4, you are now at $7,600 just to fly over there. Now add in cruise fare and excursions, and you are probably at $13,000 - $14,000....Carnival is all about the value vacation, and they do a really good job at that, but the airfare does have a prohibitive effect, and since Carnival is a business, they need to make money which means they would probably want to sail with their ships at or close to capacity. However, on some of the premium cruise lines such as Princess or Celebrity, they pretty much send all of their ships overseas in the summer because their passengers are willing to pay more, and therefore are willing to pay the cost to get over there. Also what I noticed this year on our Baltic Cruise on the Royal Princess was that the age of the cruiser was a lot older than what you see on Princess, and there were hardly any children on the boat.

I think this was really well put. I was trying to make a similar point in my earlier post, but the numbers really illustrate the problem for Carnival and its core demographic.