The food was HORRIBLE!!!!

princessh

I can't comment for other lines but we've had good and we've had bad food in the MDR. Any time it's been bad, I just didn't eat and our servers noticed and offered something else or INSISTED! LOL. Most times I got a baked potato as a "just in case" but after a 2nd night on the Breeze of food I didn't like, our server got a chef to come out! It was amazing and they were willing to prepare me something to my taste. I am not picky and was embarrassed by this but they went above and beyond.

The steak is ALWAYS on the menu and is a good option. Also, you can order, say, 5 shrimp cocktails as your dinner. They are very accommodating. My MIL had a very strict allergy diet (they tested her for foods she had sensitivities to and she had to not eat them for 8 weeks) and of course, it fell on our cruising time. We had the steakhouse the first night and the chef came out to her and for the rest of the trip, it was noted and wait staff always offered her suggestions.

I guess it is all in the approach? PS we are "only" gold cruisers so it's not like we got special treatment.

We were on the Breeze 3 weeks ago. My son has Celiac (so has to be gluten free or gets very, very sick). They were wonderful. We talked to the assistant head waiter right after boarding (Natasa) and she made sure we were taken care of the entire cruise.

Having said that, did you try the Italian restaurant? Lunch was free every day there. My son couldn't eat safely at the buffet so we had 4 of our 6 lunches there.

I guess we have lower standards because I can't think of one thing we didn't like.

I am a recently diagnosed Celiac set to cruise on the Miracle in January. I have to admit, OP's post had me sweating bullets. Thank you for posting your experience.

May I ask why your son couldn't eat off the buffet. Is it the cross contamination risk or could he not get information on what was gluten-free?

I am a recently diagnosed Celiac set to cruise on the Miracle in January. I have to admit, OP's post had me sweating bullets. Thank you for posting your experience.

May I ask why your son couldn't eat off the buffet. Is it the cross contamination risk or could he not get information on what was gluten-free?

Cross contamination is a risk at any buffet.

There are GF foods labeled as such, including bread.

We went on The Breeze in May. One of my sisters has nut and fruit allergies. They were very careful making sure they followed her direction, waitstaff. I don't think I watched her starve. She carried an epi pen just in case. She stayed away from the sweets , always possibility of nuts in baking. I was surprised to see the variety of things she ate. I think the last thing the staff wants is an emergency situation in front of hundreds of people.

We just got back from out first Carnival Cruise on the Breeze. We have sailed both Disney and Royal Caribbean prior. Let me start off by saying how much we loved the ship. They layout was great. We had an aft balcony and loved the layout of the room, albeit the aft balcony was a little smaller than the DCL and RCCL aft balconies. They staff was wonderful and very accommodating. Our only complaint was the food. IT WAS HORRIBLE!!!!! We only had one night were we enjoyed the dinner. I am not picky about the quality of the food, but this was bad. Most nights I ordered the chicken ceaser salad, a plain chicken breast and fries. The ceaser salad was so bland there was no taste to it. Most nights the chicken was so rough and over cooked, I could hardly cut it. While our wait staff was wonderful, I found the selection to be bad. The food on the other areas of the ship were just as bad. The selection at the market place buffet was the worst I have ever seen. We even decided to have dinner at the Italian restaurant and pay the upcharge. The food was just as bad there. My biggest complaint is how my tree nut allergy was handled. Our dinning room server was wonderful. He gave me a menu the night before so I could pre order my meal and make sure it is prepared with out any nuts. My complaint is geared toward the buffet area. The foods were not properly labeled. When asked if an item had tree nuts, I was told they were unsure. Some would go ask the chef, where others simply said they did not know. On our last sea day, we went to enjoy the chocolate buffet. 1 item, only 1 out of many items did not contain nuts. I ended up getting fruit....no chocolate for me. My only positive food experience was Breakfast. At least I got 1 good meal a day. That and room service. Several nights after dinner I would order a sandwich from room service so I did not go to sleep hungry. My husband and I really enjoyed the cruise and would love to sail CCL again. Is this experience normal for a Carnival Cruise? We did hear lots of people complaining how bad the food was. For us, food is one of our favorite parts of cruising. I would love to hear your feedback if this is the norm for CCL

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Forums mobile app

I agree with you that the food in the MDR is bad but the Italian restaurant was superb and so was the service.

I believe we were on the same cruise, just off the breeze Saturday. My husband also has a tree nut allergy. We had wonderful meals every day. Now, we did avoid the buffet ( everything seemed to have nuts in it), but the MDR was was great. The steakhouse was also great. We never had a bad meal. Of course, I am known to eat cereal for dinner because we don't really cook, so maybe our expectations are different. To me, any meal I don't have to cook or clean up, is a great meal.

As others have said, food is subjective. We prefer the food on Carnival to that of RCCL and we prefer the Carnival steakhouse food to that of Chops on RCCL and Crown Grill on Princess. We sailed the Breeze the first week of April this year and found the food to be much better than the food on the RCCL Navigator of the Seas, which we sailed the first week of September. DH loved Guys Burgers and I enjoyed the Blue Iguana. We have to be Gluten Free and Carnival does probably the best job of any line in handling our food issue. Sorry the OP didn't enjoy the food, but I find it hard to believe there was nothing good for dinner in any venue. If I felt that way about the MDR I would eat at the Steakhouse every night.