The food was HORRIBLE!!!!

princessh

I am not picky about the quality of the food, but this was bad.

Really? Sounds pretty picky to me if...

Most nights I ordered the chicken ceaser salad, a plain chicken breast and fries. The ceaser salad was so bland there was no taste to it. Most nights the chicken was so rough and over cooked, I could hardly cut it.

Surely it was good the first night you had it, or why order it multiple times? There are so many other options, if you're "not picky"

...allergies aside. You do say you had a consultation regarding the menu every night...there was NOTHING else available to you?

Sorry you found it lacking, but...well, sorry.

Everything was horrible????

If you didnt like the chicken caesar salad why order it every day?

Different strokes for different folks I suppose. Some people have their luggage damaged by Carnival over and over again yet still go back to Carnival time and again. This doesn't make them gluttons for punishment, perhaps they are hoping for a better result the next time. :)

The food on Carnival (and Royal) has certainly not been the best food I've ever eaten. Hubby and I are most definitely foodies who usually plan vacations around food, and I have dabbled in personal catering. We know good, tasty food. That said, we do not ever expect the food on a cruise to be spectacular. We expect decent, mass-cooked, banquet hall quality food, and that's exactly what we get. There are a few exotic items thrown in for "wow" factor, but even those aren't great. We did eat in the steakhouse and were thrilled with what we got, except for the dessert. The steakhouse desserts flat-out sucked.

We can choose a cruise vacation, or a great food vacation. There's no way to get both at the same time, at least not on the lines we would choose to sail these days.

Edited by irishnyc

When I read between the lines on the OP's post, I had a sense that she was really complaining about the mediocrity of the food choices she felt she had given her tree nut allergy (better safe than sorry). And yes feeling like having to pick dried out chicken breast each night and not feeling safe eating anything but an undressed ceasar salad and a sammie can leave one with the impression of the food being horrible.

OP should have researched more to find out what other things she might have asked for. Look at all the celiac disease cruisers , the vegans, the latest food faddistas of the week, posts on these boards and they are by far enjoying delicious food (almost making you wish you had fibbed and asked to be under one of those plans;)) and not starving. There's plenty of salads, other meats, seafoods, sides etc. that would not have endangered her. And the hostesses and chefs know and tell cruisers about them patiently.

I do not intend for this to come off as argumentative, but I am wondering why your allergy is noted as "tree nut". Don't all nuts grow on trees? I was just wondering why the tree notation.

Peanuts. It is a lot clearer to say tree nut or peanut. Particularly if you are talking to someone whose first language is not English or doesn't realize that peanuts are not nuts but legumes.

On one cruise I had a table mate that was on a low sodium diet and it was amazing seeing all of the special attention he received from the staff. They baked him his own bread and he ordered everything the night before so it was prepared specifically for him.

In my limited experience Carnival does a good job with special diets but you can't realistically expect them to alter everything they serve just for a few people. There always seemed to be something on the menu made without nuts.

Different strokes for different folks I suppose. Some people have their luggage damaged by Carnival over and over again yet still go back to Carnival time and again. This doesn't make them gluttons for punishment, perhaps they are hoping for a better result the next time. :)

You have a point but saying food is just horrible goes much further than a complaint about our luggage being damaged.

Peanuts. It is a lot clearer to say tree nut or peanut. Particularly if you are talking to someone whose first language is not English or doesn't realize that peanuts are not nuts but legumes.

Peanut allergy is harder than a treenut allergy. Many things are related to peanuts.

Xanthan Gum is a legume derivative It's in everything.

You have a point but saying food is just horrible goes much further than a complaint about our luggage being damaged.

Of course. I was referring to the question you asked about why would a person keep ordering something over and over when they didn't care for it the first time around;)

Sorry if my post of my and my family's opinion seems offend so many. You were not there eating the food. While your experience might have been different than mine, I am entitled to my opinion. I ate many things beside ceaser salad and grilled chicken. However there were nights where the only option was just that. Grilled chicken is not that hard to cook, but twice it was very rough and over cooked. Items on the buffet were not properly marked. When asked if items contained tree nuts the buffet servers went back to ask the chef. Never once did I see or get to speak to the chef. In my personal opinion and the opinion of my husband and in laws the food was over all not good. I simply wanted to know if this was the experience of other cruisers. I did not ask or deserve to be put down for MY opinion. It is after all mine and not yours.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Forums mobile app

Edited by princessh

Yes I did notify Carnival of my allergy prior to sailing. They were wonderfully accommodating in the main dining room. I did try the pizza and it was ok. As well as the deli grill. Personally though I did not spend all this money to eat a sandwich every day. I kept ordering the salad and the chicken, cause I had to eat something. While I know the allergy affected many of my choices, I was not the only one who was unhappy about the food in my group and on my cruise. Also I did not say everything was horrible... just most of it. While I understand everyone has different tastes, I did not care for the lack of options, and quality of the food. I can walk into any restaurant in the US ( including fast food) and find something I like, I was hard pressed to find good options on board.

Did you try the burrito bar? the Indian food on the back of Lido? The salad bar which is wonderful? When in the main dining room, I always order fish or seafood as I have found Carnival handles these items well. I have been on the breeze twice, but not since last Oct., and found the food to be good both times. Sorry things didn't work out for you.

Pat

Well, my oldest son has significant food allergies. He is allergic to milk, wheat, eggs, soy and corn products. For most of his life, he has eaten mostly fruit and vegetables. Anyway, we notified Carnival's special needs department before our cruise and from the first meal, he had food he could eat that was specially prepared for him. Even at the buffet, when I asked the hostess, she was able to find out for us what he could eat and the head chef for the buffet also talked with us. Every night at the MDR, the hostess went over the menu with him and he picked out things he would like to try. The next night his meal was brought to us fixed without any of the ingredients he was allergic to. I swear he ate better on every one of our cruises than he does at home. Every night he also had a dessert made especially for him.

I did not expect this kind of service from any cruise line, (he can always eat salads and fruit from the buffet) but since our experience has been so fantastic, we keep continuing to cruise with Carnival. So sorry your experience was not what you expected.

Just off the Breeze on Saturday. I believe it may be the same sailing as OP. We thought the food was pretty good. Some items on the dining room menu better than others. There were so many options to eat that I can't understand how the food could be rated as horrible. All of the food outside the dining room was very good to excellent(Chefs Table). Sorry you didn't enjoy but we had very few, if any, complaints.

Sorry if my post of my and my family's opinion seems offend so many. You were not there eating the food. While your experience might have been different than mine, I am entitled to my opinion. I ate many things beside ceaser salad and grilled chicken. However there were nights where the only option was just that. Grilled chicken is not that hard to cook, but twice it was very rough and over cooked. Items on the buffet were not properly marked. When asked if items contained tree nuts the buffet servers went back to ask the chef. Never once did I see or get to speak to the chef. In my personal opinion and the opinion of my husband and in laws the food was over all not good. I simply wanted to know if this was the experience of other cruisers. I did not ask or deserve to be put down for MY opinion. It is after all mine and not yours.

Your opinion did not offend people. And our opinions should not offend you. You asked us to tell you of our experiences and we did. Some people will always come back with snide remarks and will not make way for others.

You specifically asked "if this was the experience of other cruisers". We are relating our experiences.

Maybe next time do not make your title such a total condemnation for everything, complete with exclamations, all caps, and then proceed to tell us how you were completely unwilling to find any good with anything and expect roses and peaches to fall at your feet.

All we know is what you told us.

Thanks for answering and clarifying many of the questions that have been asked.

It sucks that you had a bad food experience. Did others around you also comment on it. I worry that because of your allergy the food was made very far in advance, and thus sat around waiting for you longer, making the chicken dry, etc. Completely not your fault, and shouldn't have had to happen, but I can see how it would happen. If others around you thought the food was good, than perhaps that was the case, and worth a complaint about it. Remember hundreds of these meals are made much earlier in the day to be finished when ordered.

You hated the chicken but you ate it every night. Too funny! We were on the magic last month. I thought the salmon and potato soup was as good as it gets anywhere. Some foods I just do not like such as lobster. And frankly is not it hard to screw up some things like steamed vegetables or mashed potatoes? I will agree somo e of the food was not very good. I did not like the beef stroganoff but that was probably because of the beets they put into it. I am fussy about my desserts and only found a few I liked such as the room service chocolate cake the warm chocolate melting cake and the Terimasu (sp?). I will also add that some of the food was not as advertised. For example the brisket was nothing more than a regular old pot roast. As pot roast goes it was pretty good but it was not brisket. Overall I thought the food was pretty good. If you ate food you did not like or you went hungry then that was on you. I will add the cheeseburgers from the grill were excellent. No way can guy improve on those. My kids and my wife both really liked the pizza as well.

Your opinion did not offend people. And our opinions should not offend you. You asked us to tell you of our experiences and we did. Some people will always come back with snide remarks and will not make way for others.

You specifically asked "if this was the experience of other cruisers". We are relating our experiences.

Maybe next time do not make your title such a total condemnation for everything, complete with exclamations, all caps, and then proceed to tell us how you were completely unwilling to find any good with anything and expect roses and peaches to fall at your feet.

This! Creating eye catching titles to get attention and then being offended by the feedback is ridiculous. Not to mention you solicited said feedback. Don't be offended when the majority disagree with your sweeping condemnation of every morsel of food onboard. It's the only thing you mentioned in your title. :rolleyes: