Planning Med Cruise with questions on ports

love2cruisegal

I don't think yu should limit your choices to Princess and Celebrity. We did a 24 day collectors cruise on HAL Nieuw Amsterdam in 2012, starting in Venice, having an overnight in Istanbul, back to Venice for an overnight, then on to Barcelona. Two stops in Santorini. We went back last year for 12 nights on Silhouette, as we hadn't seen enough of Venice. In the meantime, get a copy of Rick Steves Mediterranean Cruise Ports, read it well, and see which ports really speak to you. EM

Ever since our kids left for college we have been working on the "bucket list" and have hit more places than I ever thought possible. But ask either me or my DH where would you go back, we both say Barcelona. Especially if you have the opportunity to hit their La Merce festival in late September. Great memories. Istanbul is a fabulous experience though. Have fun!

Appreciate all the replies and info.

Mulege: Thanks for info on long lines for cable in Santorini; one of the reasons we are questioning the port even though it's been on my bucket list for a long time. As for 123 go offer on Celebrity, it seems like a good deal, but have noticed that when it goes into effect, the cabin rates increase.

FawnRiver: Barcelona is another port we would love to visit and will stay a couple days before the cruise. Enjoy your med cruise on the Island. Went to Alaska on her and loved the ship. Hope she continues the Grand Med for at least a couple more years. Thanks.

Essiesmom: Think we will do Princess (Hal doesn't seem to fit) and glad to hear you enjoyed your cruises. I have Rick Steve's cruise port book for a couple years and have read many parts of it. Have a few other books of his and also visit his website often and have seen many of his videos/podcasts.

Have any of you been on the Island recently? Does it have the International Cafe? I know the Coral does but wasn't sure if the Island did yet? Thanks.

Yes the Island has the International Cafe.

I have taken the med cruise you are thinking about and it was a wonderful cruise. Loved Barcelona (is a place I would go back to), the stop in Provence was delightful. We went to the Popes Palace which was great and the small french town it was in was wonderful -- had a great lunch in the square. The two stops in Turkey were definitely like no other place we had visited. Just loved Turkey. The three stops we made in Italy were also great. We hired a car service called Rome in Limo that met us in the ports for Florence, Rome and Naples. They were incredible with great tour guides. The cost to use them was far below the cost of the Princess tours. You need a group of about six people to make it financially viable. I would suggest you go on to the boards and find the roll call for that cruise and see if you can hook up with some other people to do a private tour. You can see and learn so much more that way, and not have to wait around for a bus load of people at every stop. I don't think you could go wrong by choosing Princess for this cruise. Happy Sailing.

Santorini was beautiful but crowded with long lines for the cable car.

Well, the way I look at is: do I want to be on my death bed explaining that I really wanted to go to Santorini but didn't because the line was too long? There is also a bus that will drive you up to the top (and down again) with shorter lines. The scenery at the top will make up for not using the cable car.

We are planning a med cruise but not for a couple years. The other cruise is on Island Princess for 12 days from Barcelona to Venice (Grand Med). However, the Grand Med cruise stops in Istanbul which was never an option, but have read on this board and other places how many people really like Istanbul.

My questions is would you give up a cruise including Santorini for a cruise including Istanbul but with 2 more days and also ports of Barcelona and France? Barcelona is not on my bucket list, but would definitely love to see it and also to say that I was in France. .

In a one word answer YES!:D

We did the Grand Med two years ago and like you, Barcelona and Istanbul weren't really on my 'to do' list. But so glad we did both. Barcelona's Sagrida Familia (Gaudi's church) and Istanbul's Blue Mosque and Sophia Hagia are once in a life time sights and once you see them...inside and out...you will go 'oh NOW I see what you mean'.

We are loyal Princess shore excursion clients and the full day one of Istanbul was fabulous. The port of Kusadasi to see Ephaseus is also a must do.

Love the Island Princess so it is a slam dunk in my books.

The line for the cable car going up is usually a pretty long wait .... which is why we opted for the donkeys/mules to go up! :eek: No waiting. About 20 minute ride (if memory serves me). And it was a blast! :D

sorry if this is way off topic but since it was mentioned here....

The donkey rides on Santorini are raising a lot of negative comments on Trip Advisor due to how the tourists perceive the donkeys to be treated.:eek:

I can't comment as I haven't been there but I would think twice about paying money to an operator that mistreated his animals...just saying.

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_Review-g482942-d1924738-Reviews-Santorini_Donkey_Tours-Fira_Santorini_Cyclades.html

To me (a teacher of history) this is a no brainer. I would take Istanbul over Santorini any day. I was in Santorini in 1971 before the tourist explosion. In those days it was the place to be in summer. Now although a beautiful setting I thought it was one big tourist trap. Not much different from Mykonos. Istanbul on the other hand is absolutely a must. The only problem is that you stay only one day. You need at least 4 or 5 days to really see it. If you go I would suggest that you get together with some people from you roll call and hire a private guide. I would not recommend doing it alone because of the time factor. Private guides have ways to get you into sites without a long wait in line. A time is a huge factor.

Although Barcelona is not on your bucket list, you may want to reconsider that. If nothing else because of the the Gaudi church, park and houses. If you go it alone be sure to buy tickets online and skip the lines which can be very long. Actually in Barcelona I just like eating tapas and drinking sangria. It is also fun to find a small restaurant in the Gothic area. If there on a Sunday go to the cathedral and see the dancers. They also have a water/light show at night that is kind of fun. The Rambla is a walking street which is very tourist but you gotta to it. Also try a flamingo show.

sorry if this is way off topic but since it was mentioned here....

The donkey rides on Santorini are raising a lot of negative comments on Trip Advisor due to how the tourists perceive the donkeys to be treated.:eek:

I can't comment as I haven't been there but I would think twice about paying money to an operator that mistreated his animals...just saying.

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_Review-g482942-d1924738-Reviews-Santorini_Donkey_Tours-Fira_Santorini_Cyclades.html

I am an avid animal lover, and cannot comment on anything other than what I saw in 2008. The donkeys we saw were given rest breaks and water before going down the hill for the next trip up. I never saw a single one whipped or mistreated. They know the way by heart. There is no reason to prod them along. The rider does not even have reins. All you have is a saddle and a horn to hang on to.

It may have changed. Everyone should assess the situation at the time and make their own decision.

Second vote for Rome In Limo by the way, used them in three ports in Italy. They also have a toursharing site to help you find others who may also be looking to share. Extensive thread on them in the Italy POC forum.

Can also make a recommendation for Cannes/Monte Carlo. Look for Sylvie DiCristo if she is avail. Wonderful!

Finally, in BCN, if you are interested in food, do the Taste of Barcelona walking tour. Great guides and you really get some of the local flavor (literally!)

Best way to see Barcelona is the HoHo bus. Last time we were in Barcelona, we only had time to do the redline, but we're planning to stay there a couple of days after we disembark the Island so we can see more. We could easily spend a week there, but we're still gainfully employed :rolleyes: (have to pay for these trips somehow).

Just to chime in I suggest the Grand Med. Istanbul was a real surprise to us in that it was a very modern, beautiful city. I kind of expected something Third-Worldish, and it wasn't at all. I've visited twice on cruises; my wife and I want to go back for several days to a week.

Barcelona may not be on your "bucket list" but it should be. It's one of my favorite cities to visit; just watch out for pickpockets and scams.