Need big favor from upcoming cruiser!

ncamy

I know this sounds like a ridiculous request, but will someone PLEASE take along a tape measure and find out the dimensions of the sofa beds. On our upcoming cruise on the Serenade I think my husband and I are going to put a blow up camping mattress on the couch to sleep if our double size one will fit. I am not at all interested in sleeping in two twin beds that are pushed together. (I am terrified of the crack and think that it will be awfully uncomfortable.) My daughter and sister-in-law can have the twins. The sofa bed would be a lovely solution for us except that I heard that the sheets don't fit snuggly which is another of my pet peeves. The small size of the sofa bed doesn't bother me so long as our mattress will fit on top of it. For twenty years now we have slept in a double width bed and really feel "lost" in a queen size or king. THANK YOU. THANK YOU. THANK YOU in advance if someone will do me this favor. PS I have called RCI and they couldn't help me other than say, "It's a double." If that were the case then the sheets would fit.

When are you going?

It's not a ridiculous request to me. I've been asking questions and posting about sleeping arrangements for several years here. My DH has a bad back and I've found quite a few solutions with inflatable wedge pillows and vacumn packed mattress pads.

If the sofa bed is a double, even a small double, the mattress should work, because it would be a snug fit at the top where the "couch" area is, and not move around too much. You might want to think about bringing a down filled mattress pad instead to put on the sofabed mattress. That way it will fill up any looseness in the sheet and be a snug and more comfy fit.

The twin beds that are put together do not move apart, by the way.

The sofa may be a double size in width... but I really do not think it is a standard double size in length. I am not sure if your air mattress would fit on top or hang over too much on the end. My son slept on the sofa bed and I thought it seemed very short.... and I am a short person saying that!!!!!! Also, the sofa folds open similar to a futon (sp)... and does not use fitted sheets... it is made up with flat sheets. That is why the sheets do not always stay on. If you have 4 in your cabin, you may want to make sure that you have a sofa and a pullman and you and your hubby would be better off on the bed pushed together. ( there must be some kind of pad that they put over the mattresses... I have never felt the crack... maybe I was too tired to actually try.

Hi, I have been on six cruises on four different crusie lines, and my husband and I have never noticed a "crack" where they push the two beds together. Since the majority of the passengers sleep that way, you can imagine the problems if there was a noticeable "crack" in the middle of the bed!! On my first cruise on the Carnival Destiny, I slept on the sofa bed, and it was very comfortable. Since it was several years ago, I can't remember the exact size of the sofa bed, but I only have good memories of it. Have a great cruise!!

Peggy

You would never know you were on two beds pushed together! It was quite confortable and larger than a double so you will have more room than on a sofa bed.

Are you sure your room has a sofa bed? And even with a blow-up mattress I dont' think this would be as confortable as the regular bed....and who wants to deal with bringing that in your luggage and blowing it up....

JMHO but you will be fine in the cabin just as it is.

Cheers

Keep in mind that the different cabin categories have different sized sofas, so I bet that the sofa beds are different in size too.

Just as an example sometimes the lenght of the sofa is the lenght of the bed and the fold out is the width of the sofa bed. In other cases the lenght of the sofa is the width of the bed and the fold out is the length of the bed.

(Does this make sense???)

You can't even tell there's a "crack" unless you go probing for it. The beds are made up with double or queen padding, sheets, and covers, and few people sleep in the exact middle of the bed anyway. In ten cruises, we've never even noticed the "crack".

Allen

My husband and I are not small people (not huge, either, just not small :) ) we have never had any problem sleeping on two twins pushed together, never had them separate. As a matter of fact, last year we had to ask to have them moved apart (long story, involves giving my bed to the teenage son) an the steward could only separate them by a couple of inches, then they did not budge.

I've had to sleep on the sofa bed (see above reference) and while it was fine, it was not nearly as roomy or comfy as the bed. In other words, two twins pushed together will give you far more room than a double sofa bed. Add the extra floor space and hassle of an air mattress, you will have no room to stand and walk around.

While I don't think your question is ridiculous, I do think you might be worrying needlessly. Just try not to lay directly where the "crack" is. Are you sharing a room with the daughter and SIL? That will be another space problem. Take along as little as you can, don't pack a bunch of extra stuff, there really is no room for a lot of junk in typical cabins. It's nicer to have the extra bedding tucked away (as in up on the wall or in the ceiling) during the day. Finally, if you have a quad with bunks, have the twins separated, it will give you more floor space.

It may help others to give you more explicit advise if you let us know what type of cabin you have and how many will be in the cabin together.

Its true you wont be able to tell where this freakin Crack is... Just dont go looking for it, it will suck you in and you will never be found.:confused:

But on a serious note, if the Crack freaks you out... I have read on here that some people take a strip of that Egg carton looking cushion and place it down the endless crack...works great but Im not going to carry that onboard.

Thank you guys so far for your responses and suggestions. Here are more details: We are sailing on the Serenade in a grand suite. Yes we will be sharing with our daughter and with the sister in law. It wasn't even an option for us to have two rooms because we wanted a suite and it would have been way too expensive for SIL to have a single room. This will be an Alaskan cruise next July. We do have a mattress that blows itself up. Between the four of us we are allowed 12 pieces of luggage plus carryons so one deflated air mattress isn't going to be a problem. I'm not really sure how the rest of you married couples sleep, but my husband and I um how shall I say it....sleep...well, practically on top of each other. In all truth we never take up more room than a typical twin bed. It would never ever do for us to sleep in seperate beds. We've slept this way for over 20 years. From what I understand the twin beds aren't really as wide as twin beds so I don't think that we could sleep together on one of them. I just don't see how you could possibly sleep (in the position we do) on the pushed together beds and not sleep smack in the middle! Maybe I'm wrong. It's good to hear that they make the bed up as one whole bed and not separately. The other concern we were having is that since two of us will have to sleep on the sleeper sofa no matter how we do it, why shouldn't it be the two of our party that is accustomed to sleeping in such close proximity, me and my dh! The non fitting sheets would be a huge problem though. Maybe we could just blow the mattress up and sleep on the floor. Second thought, that's probably a bad idea. I'll just hold out hope that someone will take along a small tape measure and let me know the dimensions.

ncamy, your explanation was so cute! How wonderful that after 20 years you two still sleep cuddled together! Seriously, perhaps you should just forget the sofa and put the blow up mattress right on the floor.

Have a great cruise!

I'd start another thread and title it, "Need to know the sofa measurements in the GS on the Serenade". That way you'll alert Serenade pax that you need help with that particular ship. People usually look for their ship in the thread name.

Also, go to the Roll Call board and find an upcoming Serenade thread (they are dated with the sail date), and ask there, too. Someone will help you.

I agree: forget the pushed together twins; you'll end up in the crack. Also, the twins are like bunk beds: not big. I'd go for the sofa or the mattress on the floor, which I have done in hotel rooms myself. Very comfy.

Good luck!

While I cannot imagine paying for a suite, then sleeping on the floor, to each his own. With the exception of one cruise, I've never had a bad nights sleep on a ship, the rocking puts me right out. But an air mattress on the floor? No way, I would do a roll away bed for the 4th person instead. I guess my DH and I need the extra space the two twins have, a double sofa sleeper would just be too small. We've never even noticed the crack in the bed. I've only had to sleep on the single sofa bed before, it was very comfortable, but much smaller than a twin bed.

The above poster is right, though, someone who has actually sayed in one of these suites would know better than anyone else. The sofa bed in suites may be larger than standard cabins.

You'll know better when you return.

Hubby and I have cruised several times on the Radiance Class Ships, the Seranade among them. We always have the beds pushed together and have never had a problem with the infamous "crack"! If you are worried ask the room steward for a foam eggcrate to lay over the mattress under the sheets, it will take care of any issues you may have about the "crack" and also make for a softer surface. I should think that this would be more comfortable than the sofa bed! No matter what you choose to do, enjoy your cruise!

I am more impressed that the OP has been sleeping in a double bed with her husband all there married days. If I had to share a double with my hubby he would have hit the floor w/ his sleeping bag 18 years ago. I need stretching space ;-D

Archived