Victoria to Seatac- Clipper or car ferry?? advice??Lots of questions:0!!

Galleon1234

We are going to disembark our cruise a day early and spend a week in Victoria. We will be renting a car in Victoria for a week. Any advice where is easiest to rent a car near the cruise pier?? (Should we keep it and return it at the Seattle airport?)

We will be flying out of Seattle. So also need advice on getting from Victoria to Seatac.

Do the Victoria clipper? then cab to SeaTac hotel? Shuttle? Town car?

Or do the car ferry and drive to Seatac. Renting in Victoria and return at Seatac?

Which would be easiest? Cheapest?

Thanks so much for any info!!

how many people? If there are more than 2 people a one-way car rental MIGHT be the cheapest option.

Cab fare from downtown to Seatac is a fixed fare of $40. (that's the current $)

You need to cost out the options:

1. rental car for a few days in Victoria, then Clipper to Seattle, then taxi to Seatac $40

2. one-way car rental for Victoria-Seattle, Blackball Transport for the ferry from Victoria to Port Angelesm then 3 hr drive to Seatac.

3. one-way car rental for Victoria-Seattle, BC ferry from Sidney to Tsawwassen, then 4 hr drive to Seatac. This is a long drive; 1/2 hr from Victoria to the ferry terminal, 1 1/2 hr on the ferry, then 4 hrs to Seatac.

They all offer different experiences. Depends what you want to do. #1 would be the easiest.

If you are going to rent a car in Victoria and are planning to drop it in Seattle you are likely going to encounter a drop charge which you may want to determine and factor into your decision. Personally I would likely choose the Victoria Clipper option as it is the most seamless and would allow you to enjoy the scenery.

Edited by Putterdude

how many people? If there are more than 2 people a one-way car rental MIGHT be the cheapest option.

Cab fare from downtown to Seatac is a fixed fare of $40. (that's the current $)

You need to cost out the options:

1. rental car for a few days in Victoria, then Clipper to Seattle, then taxi to Seatac $40

2. one-way car rental for Victoria-Seattle, Blackball Transport for the ferry from Victoria to Port Angelesm then 3 hr drive to Seatac.

3. one-way car rental for Victoria-Seattle, BC ferry from Sidney to Tsawwassen, then 4 hr drive to Seatac. This is a long drive; 1/2 hr from Victoria to the ferry terminal, 1 1/2 hr on the ferry, then 4 hrs to Seatac.

They all offer different experiences. Depends what you want to do. #1 would be the easiest.

There's a couple of other options too;

4. Fly YYJ/Victoria to SEA/Seattle (Alaska/Horizon); which of course drops you right at SEA airport :-)

5. Fly YWH/Victoria Harbour to LKE/Lake Union (Kenmore Air/float plane)

Before you make your plans, make sure you have, in writing, permission from the cruise line to disembark early. There have been lots of tales lately that this is not being allowed as much as it used to be.

While disembarkation is quite common in Victoria I do agree that it is important to set it up with the cruise line in advance as Canadian Customs needs to be advised and there is a formal customs clearance done as opposed to the walk thru that is done for people who are returning to the ship.

Before you make your plans, make sure you have, in writing, permission from the cruise line to disembark early. There have been lots of tales lately that this is not being allowed as much as it used to be.

While disembarkation is quite common in Victoria I do agree that it is important to set it up with the cruise line in advance as Canadian Customs needs to be advised and there is a formal customs clearance done as opposed to the walk thru that is done for people who are returning to the ship.

This is true. I live in Victoria and disembarked here from my Princess cruise last September instead of going back to Seattle. You have to wait for your luggage to be disembarked and it's brought out to the gangway, so you won't be one of the first off the ship (or if you are, you'll be standing around on the pier waiting for your luggage). You then go through Customs.

One of the reasons I did a Princess cruise was because Carnival changed their rules and would not allow me to disembark early. The cruiseline is the one who has to request permission for you to disembark early and Carnival wasn't willing to do that. Princess was. But you definitely have to ask before you cruise. The confirmation was on my boarding documents (showed me leaving in Victoria), but I also confirmed it with Guest Services once I was onboard.

Best part was I exited, grabbed a cab and I think I was home before some people even got on their bus for a tour. :D

I should add that I took the Clipper to Seattle for the cruise and it is a very nice 2 1/2 hour trip. Very convenient, too. A car will add on a lot of extra time driving to the ferry, waiting for the ferry and driving to Seattle. Much more than the time involved taking the Clipper.

Unless you plan on staying outside the downtown area of Victoria, you really don't need a car for your whole stay here. I'd recommend renting a car for a day (or two) if you want to drive around, but otherwise there is a lot to see close in and Victoria is very walkable.

Edited by Luckysll

Thanks everyone for all of your information. We are on RC and I called this morning about disembarking. There is a lot of paperwork they have to do to arrange this. They were very appreciative that I called almost a year in advance as we are not cruising until August 2015. I think last minute changes are hard for them do.

We will be renting a car for a week somewhere near the port and are renting a place near Sidney for a week. I think the Clipper back to Seattle sounds like our best option. I guess we will take a cab or something to the airport Hotel.

All information and advice are appreciated:)!i