Noticeable differences between Caribbean and European Cruises???

herb

Next July will be our first cruise on Princess as well as our first "european" cruise to Scandinavia.

We've always cruised to the Caribbean and are wondering if there are any noticeable differences between the two types of cruises in respects to shipboard life; especially on sea days.... Is it as relaxed an atmosphere as a Caribbean cruise or is it more "formal".

P.S. We are quite aware not to expect a calypso band to greet us as we get off the boat in Oslo :D

Next July will be our first cruise on Princess as well as our first "european" cruise to Scandinavia.

We've always cruised to the Caribbean and are wondering if there are any noticeable differences between the two types of cruises in respects to shipboard life; especially on sea days.... Is it as relaxed an atmosphere as a Caribbean cruise or is it more "formal".

P.S. We are quite aware not to expect a calypso band to greet us as we get off the boat in Oslo :D

Herb .... We found very little difference in shipboard life. Days "At Sea" were equally relaxed with the same sort of things offered as in the Caribbean.

We've been on two European cruises with Princess and were quite happy with both. Know you'll have a wonderful time!

Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

PS You will see some PALM TREES ... on the ship! :p They don't change the decor .

We've found from our three European cruises that pool activities are not well attended and are often cancelled for lack of participants. In the Baltics, the weather is often too cool for the outdoor pool and we saw few people sitting around the pool or even in the pool. A pool band played for sail away, but they didn't seem to have a regular schedule, probably because there just weren't that many people around the pool (and we had very nice weather the entire cruise).

In several ports brass or bagpipe bands played for us on arrival and departure. In St Petersburg we had a brass band meet our tour van when we arrived at Catherine's Palace and they played the Star Spangled Banner for us. Night-time performers were usually European entertainers, many from the UK. In some ports they brought on special groups from that country as well. Night life can be rather subdued, since these are port-intensive cruises with full days touring. Most people head to bed early.

Make sure you plan your ports ahead and, if possible, arrange a private tour in St Petersburg either through Denrus or Red October to maximize your time in that port. To see pictures from our July cruise, click the Webshots link in my signature.

European pax tend to be more senior in years. You'll see more tuxes and gowns on formal night. Overall, dress is more casual.

Be prepared for serious sticker shock.:eek: Prices are extraordinarily high. Be sure your ATM and credit cards are fully loaded!

Shore excursions, though expensive, are worth the money. The European tour guides are well educated (nearly all college grads) and intensively trained. They are always very knowledgeable about the history and culture of their region(s).

Stevesan above says more formal in Europe than the Caribbean.

I would agree, but would use more "refined and mature" as a descriptor.

I for one much prefer Europe to the Caribbean.

Rather! (with a British accent):)

As most of the places you will visit have relatively large populations you won't find the same sort of crowding as you do when the megaliners hit the small Caribbean islands. Not so "touristy" either.

It used to be a pleasure to visit the islands 30 years ago but now we find them way overcrowded and too "touristy."

I've observed some characteristics of Caribbean and European cruises. I've noted them below. The Caribbean is in regular text and the European is in parenthesized italics.

Caribbean Cruise (European Cruise)

Cheap (Expensive)

Young (Young at heart)

Lots of skin (Lots of clothes)

All night partying (All night sleeping)

Wait staff wears tuxes (Entertainers wear tuxes)

And when you get onto land:

Cheap (Expensive)

Wonders of nature (Man-made wonders)

Miles of beaches (Paintings of beaches)

Huts & lean-tos (Castles & cathedrals)

Natives have to speak English (Natives don't have to speak English)

Souvenir shops everywhere (Where are the souvenir shops?)

Swim with fishes (Eat fishes)

Topless people (Topless Statues)

Dollars accepted (Anything but dollars)

Designer fashion fakes (The real thing)

That should be sufficient warning to you. Enjoy your cruise!

Keep in mind......the longer the cruise, the more-distant the ports, the higher-end the cruise line............the more "refined and mature" the passengers.

Young adults choose Mex and Carib. It's cheaper, more party atmosphere, and usually only a week. Genererally, they are starting in life and starting a family and don't have much vacation time. Think Carnival.

European, Panama, and Med cruises are, IMHO, the next step up. A bit more "mature," and they have more experience travelling.

Then, you have exotic itineraries. South Pacific cruises. Africa and Asia. These cost more, and longer, and a more "sophisticated" traveller will book these cruises.

We are taking an 18-day cruise from SEA to Alaska to Russia to SKorea and finally to Japan. I am expecting the average traveller to be my age to 30+ yrs older.

Make sense?

Pretty much on the mark about Europe and longer cruises! After 23 years of cruising, I'd prefer not to go to the Caribbean anymore. For a group cruise, people I want to see again, I might but just to book a cruise myself and go, nope, not interested.

I'm looking forward to my Sea Princess cruise Sept. 3rd/10th, 21 days for all the reasons listed above and at 58, age group onboard doesn't concern me! :-) In 1986, I was on the Royal Princess and at 39, I was the 3rd youngest onboard! Beat out by a couple traveling with their parents.

My friend and I didn't realize a 14 day cruise that was also a big band sailing would be all seniors. We thoroughly enjoyed that cruise, learned alot about cruising, traveling, by visiting with everyone onboard. The cruise iteself was educational to us because of all the well-traveled people we met. Out of 17 cruises, it ranks high on my list!

I can't wait for my Sea Princess Iberia and Transatlantic, woohoo, 13 days to go!

Susie

I think with Caribbean cruises the ship is really the destination where on European cruises the ship is more of the transportation. I found there were less "games" and organized activities on our recent Med cruise than on our Caribbean cruises. The games that did take place were not well attended.

On our Med cruise, people definitely dressed for dinner. For example on the Med cruise the women generally chose skirts where on a Caribbean cruise I found the women would were Capri pants. The majority of the European women did not were shorts but chose casual sun dresses or skirts (with shawls) to tour in where most of the American women wore shorts or Capri pants. Not good or bad, just different.

Now that you mention it, it's true. I noticed very few shorts last month despite the temps. Women preferred capris, kirts and dresses. This of course could be due to our age...LOL...

There were also several comedians on board the Grand in the Greek Isles so I wouldn't say that the entertainment is mostly musical.

Archived