NCL Dream fixed

seahorse

In an announcement given yesterday by Susan Robinson, NCL Spokeswoman, the problems with the Dream are fixed and will return to the scheduled program.

The current passengers were given the option to cancel, without penalty, or receive a $300.00 OBC due to the cancellation of Ketchikan.

This means both of the broken engines are working again? And that Sitka will be a port of call? Am very curious, wil be on the Dream 9/12

My question as well! Wouldn't that be great?

I'll just be happy if we get to Ketchikan. We have a flight scheduled with Island Wings and sure would hate to miss it.

I assume this was a news item for TA's, Seahorse, as there is nothing on the NCL website that I can find?

We really enjoyed our Alaskan cruise on board the Dream (30th June) even although one engine was out of commission. Missing Sitka always gives us an excuse to return one day!! :D

In an announcement given yesterday by Susan Robinson, NCL Spokeswoman, the problems with the Dream are fixed and will return to the scheduled program.

WOW!!! :D Thanks, seahorse, for the wonderful news! :D We sail on 9/1; can't wait!:D

Hate to disappoint anyone but I just got off the line talking to an NCL agent before I read this thread. I am a passenger on the Dream sept. 1. I am not a TA. The NCL TA told me that they have just been contacting people on the upcoming cruise to advise them that there are still problems on the Dream. He said that there are still two engines out and that there is the possibility of missing more then Sitka. He said to keep calling to learn the status of the Dream. He also said that we can cancel. Sorry to ruin your day. Any valid updaates would be appreciated. Thanks

Hate to disappoint anyone but I just got off the line talking to an NCL agent before I read this thread. I am a passenger on the Dream sept. 1. I am not a TA. The NCL TA told me that they have just been contacting people on the upcoming cruise to advise them that there are still problems on the Dream. He said that there are still two engines out and that there is the possibility of missing more then Sitka. He said to keep calling to learn the status of the Dream. He also said that we can cancel. Sorry to ruin your day. Any valid updaates would be appreciated. Thanks

Well, I'd like to believe the spokesperson rather than an NCL agent who usually gets information way later than when a spokesperson puts it out.

I suppose when two or more folks specify they got it from the same source, then it will appear to be more credible.

still, hoping for the best...

How can a spokeswoman say one thing (all is fine) and a TA say that NCL is contacting passengers saying that there are still two engines out? Was something fixed only to fail again?

Marylandcrab: What NCL number are you calling for information?

Seahorse: Where did you see the NCL Spokeswoman's announcemnt?

As far as contacting NCL for updates, almost all agents you contact aren't even aware of the first engine being out, let alone two. I even had one TA and their supervisor tell me yesterday that all was fine (as far as the second engine) and the news stories are likely exaggerated and I was not reflecting facts.

After digging some more I will try and update this board.

The news was on www.cruise-community.com this morning...........and now it is not there:eek: I know I was not dreaming.

I will try to get to the bottom of this...........welcome to my world of travel mis-information..........why oh why am I in this business:rolleyes:

Sorry, I still hope that this info is correct.

BTW when you call NCL for info you are speaking to a res. agent that works for NCL, not a TA.

Hi Seattleadjuster, don't rush out to buy us the mixers just yet!! :D

We've booked cruise number 2 - 10 days out of New York on the Dawn in April (school Easter holidays) and are still planning on cruise number 3 - Baltic Cruise on the Dream out of Dover (bit closer than Seattle) for July 2006 but that will depend on the engines being fixed. Don't worry, you'll have plenty of warning of us heading back to Seattle.

DH has finally bitten the bullet and joined these boards - as Mc_Cruiser.

Best wishes to you and Kasebri. :)

I also called and was told that no engines are "out". There is a mechanical problem which is preventing them from getting to full speed, which is why they took Sitka out. By skipping Sitka, it allows them to stay on schedule for the rest of the itinerary. As you can probably guess, they have been swamped with calls because there is a lot of confusion regarding what the actual situation is.

I think the thing to take notice of here is that they are offering "no penalty" cancellations even though no cruise line is obligated to do so for missing a port. This goes above and beyond the call in my opinion.

Kathy Q

Well I certainly do know what Seahorse is talking about but I didn't put too much into the entire story as our agency has not yet been notified of any engine repairs. I will hold off; at least I don't have anyone crusing the Dream for the rest of the season, I am thankful for that. As for getting information or mis information from the reservations dept, they do not always know what is going on. In fairness to the company, usually information does go out to them but they do not always read it. I am basing this on being a manager for a major hotel resv center for several years: we never kept any information from the reservations agents unless it was too complicated, then we would just have all calls referred to the higher ups: did the agents read all the information available to them? NOPE!! I would think in this case it might be a little tricky having agents repeat the information to clients, but someone should be able to answer the questions. Lets now wait and see how those on the ship now are doing. NMNIta

After getting shifted to many supervisors, sorry, it is not fixed:o No wonder they pulled the article.............You really do wonder why they put it in the first place and quoting a spokesperson:confused:

At least now we really do know, they are still missing Sitka and I dare not ask about compensation, they probably don`t have an answer anyway and even if they did..........it would probably change:rolleyes:

I think the thing to take notice of here is that they are offering "no penalty" cancellations even though no cruise line is obligated to do so for missing a port. This goes above and beyond the call in my opinion.

Kathy Q

I think this part has been covered enough and has been clearly noted that for MANY of us canceling is not an option -- air has been book, vacation days given, hotels booked etc. And it has been covered that it would have been nice for NCL to offer a choice of cancelling and/or the $50 pp OBC.

WHAT WE ARE WONDERING ABOUT AND NEED TO KNOW NOW is if we (leaving the 22 or the 1st) are going to stop in Ketchican. Of course, we would all love to stop in Sitka too but it is my guess that is out and we are all hoping not to lose Ketchican!

So, while I am glad you feel it goes above and beyond the call there are a lot of us that would have liked to just get to the ports or gotten the original $50 OBC as a goodwill gesture. The extra sea day is bad enough but I certainally am hoping not to add another by missing Ketchican too! Dump Whittier in that case!

I have a call back to my TA and will check back to see if anyone has updated info but PLEASE let's not get back into the canceling debate AGAIN.

I'm not wanting to tell others how to act, but I think when we contact NCL for information we should be asking at least two groups of questions:

1. Are the two engines being worked on? Has either been repaired? If we are told the problem is fixed, ask whether that applies to one or two engines.

2. What ever the responses above, ask whether there are any itinerary changes to upcoming cruises (including Sitka). I am scheduled to sail Aug 22 (next Monday). It may be that they fix one or more engines but don't want to push them too hard. This impacts the itinerary, so we can't assume anything.

It seems that the new information from NCL being posted on this board is posing a lot of further questions. I'm hoping by asking the right questions of NCL it will provide complete answers.

Thanks for all those sharing what they learn.

I'm not wanting to tell others how to act, but I think when we contact NCL for information we should be asking at least two groups of questions:

1. Are the two engines being worked on? Has either been repaired? If we are told the problem is fixed, ask whether that applies to one or two engines.

2. What ever the responses above, ask whether there are any itinerary changes to upcoming cruises (including Sitka). I am scheduled to sail Aug 22 (next Monday). It may be that they fix one or more engines but don't want to push them too hard. This impacts the itinerary, so we can't assume anything.

It seems that the new information from NCL being posted on this board is posing a lot of further questions. I'm hoping by asking the right questions of NCL it will provide complete answers.

Thanks for all those sharing what they learn.

you are on the right tract. If it were me, even if I was getting conflicting stories I would still consintrate on what the company has to say rather than what all of us are saying. The information any of us are posting should be taken somewhtat with a grain of salt. You are correct about asking the right quetions as well. Good luck and for those who cancelling isn't an option, there isn't too much else that can be said. If is a mess, glad I am not involved, but I really don't see what more NCL can do for you? You either don't want to switch ships as the others are more expensive or shorter number of days or you can't switch at this late date. This isn't the first time a cruise ship has had similar problems and it won't be the last. We all know about Celebrity's problems. there just doesn't seem to be a perfect answer to the problems. NMNita

The number that I called at NCL was 1-866-625-1166. This is customer relations I think. What I thought was interesting in my telephone conversation this morning was that the young man said that they had been contacting people on the August 22 sailing to let them know the situation. They are not contacting the passengers on the Sept. 1 cruise yet. He said that there is a chance that the next cruise might miss another port. He did not know about the schedule for the Sept. 1 cruise.He knew of the problem and said that 2 engines were down and not fixed. Other then that he said he did not know anything else. At least I felt as if I was talking to someone who had some information and knew of the situation. the only way to get information is to politely keep asking questions, which I did and I felt that he did his best to answer them with his limited knowledge. He suggested that I call back every few days to get updated information. He said if we wanted to cancel it would be best to do so, 72 hours before sailing. I didn't even ask about compensation!!!:rolleyes:

I am hoping that if the next cruise has to miss another port it will be Prince Rupert, as it is the least desirable, and the last port before the ship heads back to Seattle. I do remember reading on the board that an Alaskan cruise must dock at least once at a foreign port. Does that mean they can't skip Prince Rupert?

I am also am very concerned that they will remove or reduce time at the following:

Hubbard Glacier

College Fjord

Inside Passage

If that happens, I think we will cancel. If anyone finds out more, please post it.

I am hoping that if the next cruise has to miss another port it will be Prince Rupert, as it is the least desirable, and the last port before the ship heads back to Seattle. I do remember reading on the board that an Alaskan cruise must dock at least once at a foreign port. Does that mean they can't skip Prince Rupert?

I am also am very concerned that they will remove or reduce time at the following:

Hubbard Glacier

College Fjord

Inside Passage

If that happens, I think we will cancel. If anyone finds out more, please post it.

Prince Rupert probably wouldn't be skipped because of the "stop in a foreign port" requirement.

The news was on www.cruise-community.com this morning...........and now it is not there:eek: I know I was not dreaming.

I will try to get to the bottom of this...........welcome to my world of travel mis-information..........why oh why am I in this business:rolleyes:

Sorry, I still hope that this info is correct.

BTW when you call NCL for info you are speaking to a res. agent that works for NCL, not a TA.

You are not crazy. Well maybe you are but I read the same release late last night on the site. :D

Sounds like someone spoke out of school

As I noted last night on another thread, and from the information Randy2d supplied me, it won't be long.... I was thinking in terms of 2 months or so to fix the blown rod and camshaft, and a week or two to fix the blown piston. They can fix the ship while underway and when they are docked and do it in less than a week if things go well and if they have the parts on hand. From my experience at my power plant, it takes about two months to get parts for diesels shipped from Europe, and our diesels at my power plant are 27 years old.

We need to keep them operational as my power plant is a based load power plant, and if all of the system goes down and/or trips, we'll restart the plant with the diesels.... We can also restart the plant from electricty from the power lines, that is if the entire system don't trip....

Not only are our diesels European make, so are our inverters and turbines. Recently we had to replace the inverters at one of our units, as it was becoming difficult to find parts for it....

While I may not be an expert with Norwegian and I don't have any inside scoop, it does appear both engines will be fixed soon.... Maybe tomorrow....

Archived