NCL Dream fixed

seahorse

There sure are a lot of opinions about this mess! I was willing to skip Sitka, because I had no other option. Sure NCL offered no penalty canx. But the airlines doesn't! My husband and I were awakened by the one engine that stopped. That would be the second engine. leaving the dream running on what they told us were 2 auxillary engines. This was somewhere in the middle of the cruise. They shortened our shore time in Ketichkan, but when they lost the 17 passengers, we had to wait until they found them to depart. (Their bus broke down, we were happy to hear they wern't eaten by bears....) So we leftt he port about 4 hours late! So they decided to skip the inside passage. And while on ship when we asked about that, it was funny. They actually told us we were in the inside passage, when we were not! Several hours later they finally announced that we were on a different route.... DUH!

Then when I accidentally drank brown water, because their filtration system broke, and I called it in, it was basically;"SO WHAT?!" The ship was dirty, the attention to detail was just not there. My Superior Oceanview room looked like some one had put wet clothes on all the furniture. Pretty grungy.

I was an Aircraft Maintenance Officer in the US Air Force. And I know about broken things. There is a rate at which things break, it is pretty scientific. So I just really have to believe that all they want from me is my money. NCL knows that problems will happen. We recieved NO onboard credit for missing Sitka. We did not feel like valued customers. Instead we felt like the absolute minimum was being done for us! My next trip to Alaska will be on board my own boat! At least if I break down then, I can only blame myself!

Thanks for lettting me vent!

Tiki Gal

That's why they sell travel insurance, in case things go wrong, which they do everyday in the travel industry! Just about every good travel agent trys to sell this insurance on every cruise sell. You took the risk, now you want NCL to pay.

:eek:

That's why they sell travel insurance, in case things go wrong, which they do everyday in the travel industry! Just about every good travel agent trys to sell this insurance on every cruise sell. You took the risk, now you want NCL to pay.

:eek:

Can someone with more experience with travel insurance explain to me how it would have helped in this case? If the passengers had decided to accept NCL's offer to cancel, would they have been able to get the insurance to pay for the air tickets? I was under the impression that there were specific reasons that you could cancel not just "I didn't like what NCL did so I decided not to go".

Maybe some one can explain how the passengers could have applied the insurance in this case.

Thanks.

I was an Aircraft Maintenance Officer in the US Air Force. And I know about broken things. There is a rate at which things break, it is pretty scientific. So I just really have to believe that all they want from me is my money. NCL knows that problems will happen.
I was an aircraft mechanic for two of my four years in the Navy. Things do break and if there's one thing I know, it's that you can't predict every single thing that will happen. Sure, you can schedule phase inspections or 28 day inspections or 56 day inspections or 72 day inspections (as we did on our P3 C Orion aircraft) but things always seemed to break between those inspections. Things just happen. I hope you enjoy your next visit to Alaska on your own boat and I hope nothing randomly breaks.

Can someone with more experience with travel insurance explain to me how it would have helped in this case? If the passengers had decided to accept NCL's offer to cancel, would they have been able to get the insurance to pay for the air tickets? I was under the impression that there were specific reasons that you could cancel not just "I didn't like what NCL did so I decided not to go".

Maybe some one can explain how the passengers could have applied the insurance in this case.

Thanks.

You are about right, I really don't think too many insurence companies would have covered the cancellation. I think maybe the referrance was to the delayed return. At least that is how I read it. because there was machanical problems with the ship it would pay to check with the insurence: who knows, they are all very different. NMNIta

NewmexicoNita,

Thanks for your comments on the insurance. I sometimes buy it and sometimes don't but I have fortunately never had to use it.

I see what you said about the delayed return possible being handled by the insurance, but I don't think that was what Tiki gals problem was. She mentioned brown water, shortened time in Ketchican, missing the inside passage, and being disappointed in the condition and cleanliness of her stateroom, all things which as far as I can see would not have been corrected or compensated for by having cruise insurance.

[quote name='sunshine 229']NewmexicoNita,

Thanks for your comments on the insurance. I sometimes buy it and sometimes don't but I have fortunately never had to use it.

I see what you said about the delayed return possible being handled by the insurance, but I don't think that was what Tiki gals problem was. She mentioned brown water, shortened time in Ketchican, missing the inside passage, and being disappointed in the condition and cleanliness of her stateroom, all things which as far as I can see would not have been corrected or compensated for by having cruise insurance.[/QUOTE] those things, you are right would not have been covered. As for the room not being in the condition she would have liked, this should have been reported to the house keeping manager or someone who could have corrected the problem. If the condition was really bad I think you could reduce the automatic service charge. Of course, as I understand that it has to be more than just one person's idea of cleanliness. I was on the Sky before it went to hawaii. There was a very small piece of paper under the chair in a corner the entire cruise. Obviously our cabin steward didn't vacume as well as some would have or should have. Me, being me, it didn't bother me at all, but others would have been upset. All I did was laugh at it. Everything else was cleaned each day to our satisfaction. A light in our bathroom burned out just before we left for breakfast one morning. We forgot to report it, but when we returned it had been replaced. This was more important to me than a little piece of paper. Not spending as much time in a port as had been hoped for would not give them any compensation even though it was a disappointment. Isn't it too bad so many are having so much trouble with one cruise ship. I am just happy I don't have anyone sailing on her this summer. I could have as I had a client that wanted the least expensive cruise they could find. The only problem they didn't have enough time for an 11 day cruise. NMNit

Please tell us more, CoolCruiser55 :p What speed were you able to maintain, did you get to cruise the Inside Passage, were port times affected, etc? And most importantly, did YOU enjoy yourself? Any tips for those of us leaving on 9/1?

just posted on another board: a person who had been very critical of the Dream and was worried as his parents were on her this past cruise. Well his parents had a wonderful time, accepted the missed port and said service and food were outstanding. They did get a $300 credit for missing Sitka. Just thought I would report that one. It will be interesting to see what others have to say.

NMNita

[quote name='newmexicoNita']Well his parents had a wonderful time, accepted the missed port and said service and food were outstanding.[/QUOTE]
Food and service were just fine on the Dream in May. No reason an engine problem should have changed that for June, July, or August.

[quote name='newmexicoNita']just posted on another board: a person who had been very critical of the Dream and was worried as his parents were on her this past cruise. Well his parents had a wonderful time, accepted the missed port and said service and food were outstanding. They did get a $300 credit for missing Sitka. Just thought I would report that one. It will be interesting to see what others have to say.

NMNita[/QUOTE]

NMNita, where was the other review posted? Thanks. Cheers.

I just got home yesterday from my cruise on the Dream. I will try to help clarify some things that I saw posted earlier. Our cruise ship didnt leave port until some time after 10pm. The engine problem combined with the delay in picking up passengers in Prince Rupert caused this. We showed up at the pier at about 11:30 and then were quickly whisked away to the Sheraton, where they opened a few ballrooms four us to have some a pretty decent cold buffet. They also gave out free double-decker bus tours if people wanted them. Anyways we missed Ketchikan on top of missing Sitka, and we already knew we were headed to Haines instead of Skagway (this had already been apart of the itinerary). We were offered 150pp of onboard credit because of all of these problems. I believe the next cruise going out should be fine with making all its ports as long as there are no port delays. Our ship docked promptly at the dock in Seattle right around 7:00am. The extra days at sea were ok. With only 4 ports in a 11 day cruise they did get to be repetitive. I basically read alot. About 1,000 pages. Food was pretty good. In all my family had a great time. We would have gone even if all the ports were cancelled. We needed a break and time together and that is exactly what we got, more days at sea with one another, lol! I will be posting a more thorough review later this week. Oh and also, I have to stay the staff was fantastic. We had absolutely no problems. They were very polite and were always willing to help you with everything. For future passengers I wish that you have a wonderful time on this ship...and hopefully that you can make all your ports as well!

HI ALL....and thanks to those who have taken the time to post their positive thoughts about the last cruise on the Dream......If I ever meet you in person, I will buy you a drink......

It would be nice is more folks would report their feeling about this last trip....after all the negeative reports, and put down of the Dream, you would think they would come on line an admit thier mistakes.....but I know, its easier to B**** than to be happy........me, I looking forward to sailing on the Dream on her first trip out of Houston in October.....only 50 more days...AND AWAY WE GO............................jim

as we are sailing soon after you. We'll be onboard for haloween and I can't wait. Really looking forward to the cruise regardless of all the negative talk. A cruise is just what you make it. Sure there can be disappointments but those I can live with and still have a great time. Now if they cancel my cruise that's another story. Gota cruise.

[quote name='semasneb']HI ALL....and thanks to those who have taken the time to post their positive thoughts about the last cruise on the Dream......If I ever meet you in person, I will buy you a drink......

It would be nice is more folks would report their feeling about this last trip....after all the negeative reports, and put down of the Dream, you would think they would come on line an admit thier mistakes.....but I know, its easier to B**** than to be happy........me, I looking forward to sailing on the Dream on her first trip out of Houston in October.....only 50 more days...AND AWAY WE GO............................jim[/QUOTE]
It would be but there always seems to be more who want to let the world know about their problems than to let everyone know how happy they are. I guess this is just the nature of some. How often do you think people write letters to let the hotel know about the nice young man who checked them in, but let that same nice young man give them a different type of room than they requested and see what happens? Perhaps the other problem here is:negatism (spelling) is a desease that can spread. Sales classes always teach us to stay away from people who complain as it can be catching. NMNIta

Our family was on board the 8/11 Dream. Yes - we started off several hours late and yes, we missed several ports, however, we actually made the best of it. We were lucky that we were able to wonder downtown Seattle and have lunch at our favorite restaurant. Plus we were able to have our first nights dinner in the LaBistro and wear our jeans (because of the late embarkation). We thought the staff on board the Dream was outstanding. Our favorite restaurant was the Trattoria - amazing staff, amazing food and the views - beyond what I could ever imagine. The Kids Crew far exceeded my expectations. I truly enjoyed a couple of the shows. My favorite activity was the "Liar's Club". I have never laughed so hard in life. Soozy the CD is extremely entertaining.

One interesting thing was that we NEVER waited in line for any meal. Also, we NEVER waited in line to embark or disembark. I know several people did - guess we were very lucky!

When meeting new people, you could always tell those that are wrapped up in the negative. We would stay clear of those people! A cruise is what you make it.:)

Archived