NCL Dream fixed

seahorse

When one engine was down, you could say that it was just bad luck. Now the two main engines are down. That is too much of a coincidence to believe. I suspect that these engines have a design flaw.

Putting that asside for a moment, I am getting very annoyed at the poor information from NCL.

I called customer relations this morning. I explained, in detail, the history of both engine problems. I then asked them to find them if either engine had been fixed, or were they both still down. The person at the other end put me on hold while they contacted the appropriate office. They came back to say all is fine. I pushed them as to whether they specifically found out that all engines were running. They said yes.

I wanted to confirm the above information, so I phoned back and got someone new. I again explained the history and asked very specific questions. They went away and came back to say that the Dream was still only running on two engines.

There is no excuse for the above contradiction.

If you phone reservations they likely don't even know the first engine went out in June. They will tell you that since they didn't recieve a bulliten all must be fine. :mad:

I would like to find out what others are told when they contact Customer Relations?

Victorian,

this seems to be a recurring problem with NCL CS department. I once saw someone post to recommend that you call ten times with the same question and average the results. ( I'm assuming that was a joke but you see the feeling out there about the CS department.)

The problem is that this makes any communication with the CS department totally useless since they appear to be so unreliable. Even if they happen to give you the correct answer who is going to believe them?

Where is a customer with questions supposed to turn when no one at NCL seems to be able to provide accurate information?

How can you run a viable company this way?

When one engine was down, you could say that it was just bad luck. Now the two main engines are down. That is too much of a coincidence to believe. I suspect that these engines have a design flaw.
Ah...a conspiracy theory. So what accounts for the 13 or so years of relatively few problems? A well calculated plan for the design flaw to show itself years later? Maybe Oliver Stone can find out for us. ;)
I called customer relations this morning.

I wanted to confirm the above information, so I phoned back and got someone new.

I guess this is why people spend so much time on hold when they call. :)
I would like to find out what others are told when they contact Customer Relations?
Yes, everyone should call several times and compare the answers they get. :rolleyes: Why not ask for someone higher up when you call? Wy continue to talk to the same clueless minimum wage phone answerer who probably knows the least amount about NCL? Instead of tying up the phone lines over and over, why not go up the chain instead across the cahin? Have you asked for someone else?

Since I am sailing out on the 22nd I would REALLY like some information1 I too get different answers from each call.

My main question is if we will stop in ketchican and/or miss the inside passage. I have been told, "Sure, why wouldn't you?" to "whatever the Website shows" to my favorite, "Nobody knows, but I am sure they will tell you once you are on board!"

Since we aren't able to get much info from those onboard and I'll be leaving before they get off -- I probably won't learn a thing until we step on the ship :(

I am not too concerned about having to listen to the complaints of the other cruisres as I honestly spend little time sitting around chatting with anyone other than those I am sailing with but it would be nice to know what's going on BEFORE we leave!

Since I am not a cruise line I think it is unlikely that I would be able to get my customer to agree to sign a document that said they would pay me a set amount to complete a given job, or some part of that job or a different job altogether, totally at my discretion and that they would have no claim to at least a partial refund if I did not complete the originally contracted job.

I know, I know, we all sign those cruise contracts when we book so we all deserve what we get.

I think it's called being an educated consumer. If the terms of the contract aren't OK with me, I don't sign up.

Does anyone know how far up the chain you have to go to get a correct answer? And how do you know when you have arrived at the truthful place?

Does anyone know what level Susan Robinson is at? Cause it seems that she doesn't have correct info either so I guess you'll have to go above her in the chain to get a correct answer.

I guess you could go right to Colin Veitch, but then of course you would no doubt be told that he is too important and too busy to talk to individual pax on the phone.

Quite a quandry to know where to turn for believable answers.:confused:

So when were you given the chance to inspect them? As I've asked before, aren't uninformed opinions wonderful?

Cecilia and Hotspur:

As far as my design flaw statement, concider this: there are many models of cars that perform well up to a certain mileage or age. At that point they can be notorious for breaking down (well before they should). I don't hear any other explanation for the fact that the two similar main engines broke within two months yet the two auxliaries (that I assume are different engines) did not. I also know there have been several engine problems with the Dream, and most have been in the last few years. So jump all over me for assuming things. That is not my main point. I don't even blame NCL for the second engine failing. Maybe they were sold unproven engines, or even defective replacement parts along the way. This would not be the first time for a cruise line.

When I phoned, I did ask for them to go up the chain of command to find answers. That is why they left the phone to find out more. Any good agent should do that anyway if they don't know an answer to a question. The contradicting information I got came from two different people up the chain. Yesterday I talked to two supervisors. On Monday I talked to the head supervisor in Customer Relations.

In reference to the phone agent: "clueless minimum wage phone answerer who probably knows the least amount about NCL? ". If they are that bad, why has NCL put them as front line support? Why isn't there a resource they can use to find out the current status of each ship?

I don't see how it is my fault that you have to wait too long for NCL to take your call: "I guess this is why people spend so much time on hold when they call." If you can't trust what they are telling you, why call them at all? If I could get a straight answer, I wouldn't have to phone several times. I don't appear to be taking up too much of their time as they answer the phone without waiting each time. Their problem isn't a lack or quality of agents, it is a lack of quality information given to the agents. I make this very clear when I talk to them. Most agents are really nice.

Any tips on getting as far up the chain as possible would be appreciated.

Victorian...not sure why my direct response and questions to you makes you think I'm being confrontational. Why so defensive? I asked you legitmate questions about other options you have for getting an answer and I also agreed with many here about how inept the customer relations people can be. Why not read my post and not automatically assume that I'm against you because I've asked you a question?

Actually...you don't have to answer my question. Good luck with your cruise. :D

It would still be great to hear from someone on the 8/11-22 cruise firsthand as to what the captain is reporting at noon as to their location and speed. or going to the map outside the sports bar and reporting back as to the reported location/speed at the designated times.

if Dream isn't going at least 17-18 knts, I doubt if they have that other engine repaired/traveling with 3 engines and most likely remain at just the 2 auxiliary engines at about 13-15 knts..

it could happen though...

all the best -

I think it's called being an educated consumer. If the terms of the contract aren't OK with me, I don't sign up.

Now Cecilia, there ya go again throwing something that makes sense into a senseless argument. Just imagine, not signing a contract if you don't agree with it! It's a whole lot more fun to sign it and then complain about it ;)

-Monte

I have to agree ...the Dream and NCL's customer relations suck. That being said, I'd go on next weeks cruise in a heartbeat to get all of the answers to all of the questions that everyone has, if only I could. And I wouldn't utter one word of complaint !!!

I have to agree ...the Dream and NCL's customer relations suck. That being said, I'd go on next weeks cruise in a heartbeat to get all of the answers to all of the questions that everyone has, if only I could. And I wouldn't utter one word of complaint !!!

I think you very well may be able to. I just checked NCL's site and they appear to have openings available on the trip leaving Sept.22/2005. If it is too late for you on that one, they for sure have them available for the Sept 31/2005 trip. Give them a call right away! Happy cruising!

I guess most passengers onboard The Dream have had time to come to term with the itinerary change. Plus $ 300 SBC does make a little soothing effect. The Tough Goes To Shopping. No wonder there is not much news comes from the ship. Hope they are enjoying themelves.

Hopefully, 8/22/05 passengers will get the same treatment. Watch out, NCL may threw the same line to you: You knew the engine problem, the revised itinerary and choose not to cancel, so no SBC or compensation and NO Complain After Your Trip( If you do, you will be chew up by some members!). It has happened for the July21 cruise.

I received some new positive information from NCL to share with others and it appears as though my post was deleted.
No posts were deleted. However, if you tried to post when the board was acting up, as it is quite often lately, your post might not have registered. It's happened to me three or four times in the last few weeks. Please repost any new information you have that will be helpful to the members.

I had a NCL employee read this from a current bulletin. This seems to concur with the Cruise Community update mentioned above. I am assuming that the posted itineraries on the NCL web site are accurate (no Sitka). Let's pray that they get both main engines going soon. :)

I think you very well may be able to. I just checked NCL's site and they appear to have openings available on the trip leaving Sept.22/2005. If it is too late for you on that one, they for sure have them available for the Sept 31/2005 trip. Give them a call right away! Happy cruising!

Ahhhhh, I wish that I could sunshine but I've already sailed the Dream's first cruise on 5/19 and my budget is depleated for this year. Sorry to see that NCL is dropping the 10 & 11 day sailings next season, I hope someone else will jump in and fill that need, the demand is there for cruises of more than 7 days.

"Ahhhhh, I wish that I could sunshine but I've already sailed the Dream's first cruise on 5/19 and my budget is depleated for this year."

Calee,

I know how that feels, I've blown my vacation budget for this year too. I did have a great time but it is hard sitting here without a cruise booked to look forward to.

Just think then how those passengers must have felt if they had blown their vacation budget on their Dream cruise only to find out, at the end of their cruise, that they had to come up with an extra $500 or more dollars to buy new airline tickets because they got in seven hours late from their cruise. Yes we all know these things can happen but it would be a very unpleasant surprise to me, and a bit of a strain, to have to fork over the extra dollars in this situation. And if you felt that NCL was being uncaring or unhelpful or had mislead you about the condition of the ship, I think I would be more than a little upset.:(

Archived