Be Glad You are not on a TA Cruise

AFT_LOVER

Dave and I are enjoying reading this thread. But its like a ping pong game with plenty of both pinging and ponging! We were on the infamous 2004 TA (transatlantic) cruise. We chose it because of the cruiseline, ship and yes, Iceland. Where we disappointed? Yes. Did we make a big deal of it then or now? No. Do we remember the name of the hurricane we were trying to avoid? No. Did we care then or now? No. Are we glad we weren't in the middle of it? YES! Who am I to second guess Celebrity's decision? We'd never been to Spain so we made the best of it. I only regret that we didn't do a tour that went into Portagul. In the big picutre, these are minor problems. I'm just happy to be on a cruiseship and I'll have to trust the line to make the best decisions involving my enjoyment and safety. Our local weathermen can't get it right half the time here in Texas from one day to the next, let alone days ahead.

[quote name='davis0056']Dave and I are enjoying reading this thread. But its like a ping pong game with plenty of both pinging and ponging! We were on the infamous 2004 TA (transatlantic) cruise. We chose it because of the cruiseline, ship and yes, Iceland. Where we disappointed? Yes. Did we make a big deal of it then or now? No. Do we remember the name of the hurricane we were trying to avoid? No. Did we care then or now? No. Are we glad we weren't in the middle of it? YES! Who am I to second guess Celebrity's decision? We'd never been to Spain so we made the best of it. I only regret that we didn't do a tour that went into Portagul. In the big picutre, these are minor problems. I'm just happy to be on a cruiseship and I'll have to trust the line to make the best decisions involving my enjoyment and safety. Our local weathermen can't get it right half the time here in Texas from one day to the next, let alone days ahead.[/QUOTE]

Dave and Elaine
You're on the same cruise that Bananavana (sp?) Evana and we are on. We will have chuckles, won't we?
Esther

Cruisers, have a ball! Transatlantic are the best whether you're in storms or calm seas. Cruisers who take transatlantic are there for the ride and whatever port they end up in is a bonus. TA cruisers love sea days, love intermingling with fellow passengers and are light-hearted and carefree (that's because of all the sea days and the rest they get). Those that fuss and squabble because they miss this or that port and not true TA cruisers. Granted it's fun to go to new ports but I don't think that that's the first priority. The first priority is CRUISING!:D

Garry

I Am Leaving In Two Weeks For London Doing The Constellation Transatlantic And Cant Wait.I Am Most Looking Forward To Meeting All My Friends From These Boards.our Roll Call Here Is Huge Over 4400 Post And 48000 Veiws.I Have Been On That Board For Over A Year And Many Friendships Have Been Formed.I Cant Wait To Meet Them All And Spend All Those Wonderful Sea Days With Them.we Have Planned Many Tours Tegether But If One Has To Be Canceled Because Of The Weather That Would Never Ruin This Cruise For Me.i Would Expect The Captain To Put Our Safety First And Skip That Port.
This Is Such A Great Group That We Would Still Have A Wonderful Time No Matter What Port We Go To.

Gkm You Said It Just Right :)

Cruisers, have a ball! Transatlantic are the best whether you're in storms or calm seas. Cruisers who take transatlantic are there for the ride and whatever port they end up in is a bonus. TA cruisers love sea days, love intermingling with fellow passengers and are light-hearted and carefree (that's because of all the sea days and the rest they get). Those that fuss and squabble because they miss this or that port and not true TA cruisers. Granted it's fun to go to new ports but I don't think that that's the first priority. The first priority is CRUISING!:D

Garry

That's why we are doing ours next spring...

Just for the ride!! Although, from our roll call I can already tell that our fellow cruisers will be a joy to mingle with.

And I am so looking forward to six unbroken sea days on the Connie. I don't care where we go, just so we keep going! :D

Susan

It looks like I have missed a lot just by being gone a few days! I just read the last two pages and it seems we have had a real to do about hurricane names and dates. About compensation for missed ports, too. You've all been busy!

Sorry I wasn't here to back you up, JoAn, but I'm here now and I want everyone to know that you definitely made a typo not a facto! As a journalist for over 40 years, your fact checking is impeccable. The typing, however, could use a spell check. It's always the talented ones who don't have time for such mundane things!

As to the title of this thread, it is certainly an awesome one. Designed, I'm sure for shock value. Those of us who are doing TA's this time of year (October 17th), are true cruisers. We are going for the few ports, but mostly for the lovely sea days. We won't need a zillion shipboard activities to keep us happy, we won't demand compensation if weather forces a change of port,

we will be able to survive not having one of those huge aft cabins and will enjoy the friends we meet for who they are and not whether they are Elite or not. Those of us invited to 'special' events will go and enjoy them without making a big deal out of it. Those of us that sit at the Captain's Table will do so without having to brag about it afterwords. We will not mention who we know in the X main office or what goodies they have sent us. In all, we will conduct ourselves with class and grace. That is what I love about cruising, the understated elegance. I avoid the braggarts and blowhards at all cost!

Guess what, guys? I'm baaaaaacckkk!!!

Andrew, may I remind you that a Volvo is just another Ford
But Phil, so's a Jaguar.;) And Bentleys are just tarted up BMW's and Rolls Royces are Volkswagons! And with BMW taking over the Mini Cooper, that gives a $310,000 2006 Bentley Arnage Convertible common blood with the $18,000 Mini Cooper!

:D

One thing for sure - nobody can drive across the Atlantic - even in a Rolls.

We loved our TA on Galaxy from Balmur

(That's how the natives pronounce Baltimore) to Rome with stops in the Azores, Madeira and Gibralter. The sea days were marvelous and these stops very unique. We also had an itinerary change - this one courtesy of Spain's political hassle with GB over Gibralter. It seems they have a law that if a ship (non-EU Registry, so HAl is not affected) stops in Gibralter, the next stop cannot be Spain. Wierd. Apparently it had not been enforced in a while, and Celebrity only found out a couple of weeks prior to our May 2004 cruise when a RCCL ship was refused entry at a Spanish port. We were not told until we were on board. While we lost a pre-purchased Alhambra

ticket, it was not that big a deal, and we enjoyed Gibralter. We had Livorno/Florence substituted, and this is a good stop also.

This is the third try to post this.

After all the uproar of the last few weeks, my friend and I have decided to leave tomorrow to spend a few days in FL at a resort. Of course we are personal friends of the owners so will have superb accommodations. We will be greeted with (free) champagne, flowers in our rooms and complementary robes! In fact, while there, we will have the use of a houseboy (similar to a butler in duties, but dressed in Bermuda's!) and will have afternoon cocktails and munchies delivered as well as other perks. The pool of course will be at our disposal as well as the hot tub. We love to go to the pool, amid the glances of others as they seem fascinated with my long waist length red hair and my white bikini. We do not have formal nights there, but sometimes I like to put on my Janeane Garofolo gown (you know, the long white flowy one she wore in The Truth About Cats and Dogs) and stroll over the to the gazebo, champagne in hand, seeing the other guests admiring my waist length red hair which I have curled and artfully arranged into a chignon and commenting on my long filmy gown. Oh, it is such a Grand time! The owners are overly generous with us and tell us to stay as long as we like, even if they must send someone away who has a reservation! I am glad to go and put a little class and elegance into their lives. And they are so grateful that they admire from afar and don't try to bother us with conversation, much like on the X ships!

Blazerboy, you did say 'you go!'.

Gail! :eek: What do you mean "we will have the use of a houseboy......as well as other perks"?

Bob, I didn't know we were going on a small excursion before our departure this weekend for Alaska where we will have an aft cabin with our 200 sq. ft. veranda that we'll be able to have our breakfast on with our table dressed and champagne handed to us as we board and a bottle on ice in our cabin, flowers, thick carpeting, very nice robes, pillow menu & very comfy beds with duvets.

This is wonderful news. I'll go lay out suitable clothes.:D

Garry

Bob, I didn't know we were going on a small excursion before our departure this weekend for Alaska where we will have an aft cabin with our 200 sq. ft. veranda that we'll be able to have our breakfast on with our table dressed and champagne handed to us as we board and a bottle on ice in our cabin, flowers, thick carpeting, very nice robes, pillow menu & very comfy beds with duvets.

This is wonderful news. I'll go lay out suitable clothes.:D

Garry

Garry, I would say that this is awesome news!!!;)

You guys have a wonderful time in Alaska and tell Floyd how much we raved about our whale watching in June! :p

One thing for sure - nobody can drive across the Atlantic - even in a Rolls.
You must have missed our vintage '60s AquaCar thread that we had going elsewhere. Darn -- what did I do with that picture?

Here's a more recent offering -- 30mph on the water, 100mph on land, and conversion from one to the other in 12 seconds. I think this one dates back to 2003. Cabin is a bit smaller than a typical ocean view, however.

aquada.jpg.ef5d6a8d4e8d1be02388036c6f26fff0.jpg

Char, we still thank you for the suggestion. Phil and Marti are going with us. Keep your fingers crossed for a good weather day. There seems to be a lot of rain there right now.

Garry

Archived