Mykonos question

Anniesails

Had to switch my Greek Isle cruise date so now we are missing Mykonos but gaining other great ports. Question: is it worth the extra money to go to Mykonos prior to embarking in Athens. Some ppl have told me we aren't really missing anything if we miss it, but I don't know?? Please advise. thank you:confused:

Had to switch my Greek Isle cruise date so now we are missing Mykonos but gaining other great ports. Question: is it worth the extra money to go to Mykonos prior to embarking in Athens. Some ppl have told me we aren't really missing anything if we miss it, but I don't know?? Please advise. thank you:confused:

See what Paul said. No, it is not worth the xtra $$$ precruise.

While Mykonos was our second favorite Greek Isles port (Santorini being #1) I would have to agree with the others and say it is not worth the expense of a side trip. It is a beautiful place to walk around, see the shops, have a little lunch and visit the windmills but that's about it. I hope you have the opportunity to see Mykonos on a future cruise.

Hi

Mykonos is a very nice port of call if doing a grand med cruise

If day after day you are doing the likes off Rome, Athens, Venice, Istanbul etc

To go to a quite little island and recharge is most welcome.

Yours Shogun

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Forums mobile app

We had a wonderful time on Mykonos, it is very quaint and picturesque. I would put it up there right along with Santorini, just more compact. If you thought you might never return then maybe it would be worth the extra expense of a visit, you may find an inexpensive ferry out of Athens, otherwise I would likely wait for the next time.

We really enjoyed exploring the picturesque town, very nice and relaxing after a lot of big tour filled days, but I probably wouldn't schedule a special trip there unless it was easy to do and inexpensive.

Absolutely agree. We lived in Greece for 3 years and one visit was enough but I wouldn't call it a 'must see'. On the other hand my then teenage daughter loved it -- friends had a house and her high school class graduation trip was to Mykonos :p. We loved Santorini, Rhodes, and Crete.

On our grand med cruise, the captain had the ability (all the crew was talking about this) of getting into Mykonos at Midnight vs the 7am port time as originally planned. The crew LOVES Mykonos, great night life there... The crew explained if "they had been good" the captain would get them in early so the crew could get off and have fun in the city.

Well they were good, and we got in about midnight and we were able to walk off, there were taxis waiting (apparently they saw the ship pull in) and we went into town. Probably one of my best nights ever on a cruise...

Got up the next afternoon and had lunch in town, it was nice, but very similar to other greek islands. Food was really good though. But the nightlife was FANTASTIC! I would book this again if I knew the captain would be doing this.

Hi all

Can confirm that the crew often get the chance as well as passengers to sample the night life, if you are friends with any of the crew ask their advise on bars as there are a wide range on the island, tourist, local and ones we shall call alternative.

Yours Shogun

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Forums mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

I did an Eastern Mediterranean cruise this summer on Celebrity Reflection with my mother and sister. We absolutely loved Mykonos and would have liked to spend more time there. It was my second favorite port after Santorini.

We spent the morning at beautiful, uncrowded Kalafatis Beach and the afternoon exploring Mykonos town, little Venice, the windmills, and shops. It was a charming town and the people we encountered were helpful and hospitable.

However, if you are visiting Santorini, they are somewhat similar in personality. Personally, I'm happy that we got to experience both of these beautiful islands.