Panama Canal Tour - 8 hrs

grredmond

This is our first time on celebrity and we are doing the 11 night tour our of Ft. Lauderdale. We need some info on the 8 hour Panama Canal Tour on the ferry. We have never been there and want to see/experience it; is this the best for that purpose. Appreciate any help.

Glenn

Is the ship going through the canal, if so you will see it from there. On the tour you mention the ferry takes you through the canal and a buss brings you back. A very long and hot day.

Sent from my XT1032 using Forums mobile app

Edited by hypercafe

Did the tour a couple of months ago......One our favorites anytime, anywhere! Seeing the canal from deep inside the lock was amazing. I actually touched the inside wall (above the slime line!!). I'd do it again in a heartbeat!

Sent from my NX008HD8G using Forums mobile app

This is our first time on celebrity and we are doing the 11 night tour our of Ft. Lauderdale. We need some info on the 8 hour Panama Canal Tour on the ferry. We have never been there and want to see/experience it; is this the best for that purpose. Appreciate any help.

Glenn

Did the canal in April. It took the Infinity about 11 hours to go thru. Would not spend the money on doing the small boat to go thru the canal and them the Infinity the next. I would spend the time and money on seeing other things. Were able to go onto the helicopter pad on the bow all day. It was great.

We did that tour on the ferry. 99% of the time we tour independently but this is one place you DON'T want to go off on your own. We were on one of about 6 or 7 full bus loads going on to load up several ferries which went through two of the locks. It was a really fun day. There was commentary but it was hard to understand unless you were up on the sunny top side and it was too hot for that. We had a buffet lunch and water and other drinks, and it was amazing going through the canal. It took a long time, though, as we had to wait for a couple ships ahead of us. Apparently it's first come, first served.

So....by the time we got back to Colon we were about 3 hours later than expected. On an independent tour the ship would have left long ago but the ship waited for us all and left about 10 minutes after we got on board.

I wouldn't hesitate to take it. Besides the canal, the long ride gives one a glimpse of Panama that is quite interesting. Like no other place we've ever been.

Guessing that you are on Equinox for the 11 night which we did in January. We did the ferry through the canal tour and thought it was great. I would recommend it. Please take a heathy dose of patience with you but it is well worth it. Find a place to sit inside as out on the deck will get too hot. I also suggest reading The Path Between The Seas by David McCullough (I am still reading it for about the 4th time). The food was very good and make sure to eat enough as the day can get pretty long.

I assume you are going on the Equinox and considering the excursion. If so, expect a very long day for this excursion. Also, make sure to book it in advance, as it sells out every sailing.

In February, we were scheduled to take this excursion. The ship was notified the day before that the canal authorities were not scheduling the excursion to happen on time, but it would instead be about 4 hours late. They were going to hold the ship. After discussing it, we decided not to take that excursion, as we were not expected to return to the ship until nearly 9 pm. We later learned that there were a number of complaints.

We had a great day on a different excursion that took us to the viewing platform, the expansion museum, and allowed us to see more than one ship pass through. We especially enjoyed seeing how the expansion is being done, but we are both engineers.

We did this tour last spring. As others have mentioned, prepare for a hot day, but the ferry had plenty of cold drinks (included in the package). Next trip back we'll do something different, but this is a a GREAT tour for your first trip to the canal. This is particularly true for you since your ship won't be making the transit; although even if it were I'd recommend this excursion. You get a completely different view of the canal.

Harris

Denver, CO

I assume you are going on the Equinox and considering the excursion. If so, expect a very long day for this excursion. Also, make sure to book it in advance, as it sells out every sailing.

In February, we were scheduled to take this excursion. The ship was notified the day before that the canal authorities were not scheduling the excursion to happen on time, but it would instead be about 4 hours late. They were going to hold the ship. After discussing it, we decided not to take that excursion, as we were not expected to return to the ship until nearly 9 pm. We later learned that there were a number of complaints.

We had a great day on a different excursion that took us to the viewing platform, the expansion museum, and allowed us to see more than one ship pass through. We especially enjoyed seeing how the expansion is being done, but we are both engineers.

Can I ask which excursion you actually took? We're on Equinox next year and port at Colon, however, I think the 10 hour excursion in the intense heat may be too excessive for our tween and teens to bear. They would definitely be interested in the mechanical side of the operation, though :). I would welcome any further details you could provide on your tour ;). Thanks in advance :).

Can I ask which excursion you actually took? We're on Equinox next year and port at Colon, however, I think the 10 hour excursion in the intense heat may be too excessive for our tween and teens to bear. They would definitely be interested in the mechanical side of the operation, though :). I would welcome any further details you could provide on your tour ;). Thanks in advance :).

Was your tour, by any chance, The Present and Future of the Panama Canal? There are a few tours listed and we're trying to decide on which one to take :confused:. Thanks.

Took CO26 last April on the Infinity. Bus from Colon to Gamboa. Ferry from Gamboa, through Gaillard Cut, and disembarked at a canal dock after going all the way to the Pacific Ocean. Then saw the old US Canal Zone HQ from the bus on the way back to Colon. It was a long hot day but, since we were doing a complete transit, less than 100 people were on the ferry. The Infinity was the only ship in Colon. It was delightful. We could go inside when we got hot and then go back out and get a place where ever we wanted, including the bow. Check with cruisett.com and see what partial transit ships are in port. I can see how it could make a less pleasant experience. If my memory serves, the ferry could hold over 400. It gives a more up close and personal view of the canal than on the cruise ship. We were going to wait for the new canal, but we are glad we didn't. I got better video of the canal operation from the Infinity, but I'd still hightly recommend the excursion. My grandson loves the video of the tow engines going up and down the tracks.

Was your tour, by any chance, The Present and Future of the Panama Canal? There are a few tours listed and we're trying to decide on which one to take :confused:. Thanks.

Panama Canal Tour is the name of tour on website and its number is CO26 This is the tour through part of the canal on a small boat.

Panama Canal Tour is the name of tour on website and its number is CO26 This is the tour through part of the canal on a small boat.

Thank you for that, however that wasn't the tour that they took (see post #7 above). I was referring to the actual excursion that Algebralovr had decided to reserve, because of their change of mind after seeing the length of tour C026, as that was more appropriate for our group ;). As I can't locate a number for the 'Present and Future of the Panama Canal' excursion on the website, I wondered if that was the tour they had actually taken and recommended?

We would prefer viewing the locks etc. rather than being on the ferry in the heat for 8+ hours :).

As I can't locate a number for the 'Present and Future of the Panama Canal' excursion on the website, I wondered if that was the tour they had actually taken and recommended?

We would prefer viewing the locks etc. rather than being on the ferry in the heat for 8+ hours :).

Is this the excursion you were looking for? CO72 http://www.celebritycruises.com/plan-a-cruise/shore-excursions/productDetails?productCode=CO72&productId=100000002584430950

Yes, we took the one the link is to, the Present and Future Panama Canal.

While we really want to see the canal from the inside, we decided to do so when we can actually sail a cruise ship through it. We just have to wait until my vacation allowance gives me enough time off.

We started with a short bus ride to the museum, where we could see ships lined up in the lake waiting for their turn to enter the locks. We saw a short video about the old and new canals, and the differences between how they will operate the new ones. We also saw the new lock apparatus as it had not yet been installed. They are HUGE! It was quite interesting. There was a nice, clean restroom at the museum, as well as a gift ship and snack shop.

Then we were off to the locks, where we got to see what happens when a ship transits. It was very cool.

I would definitely recommend this tour for anyone who doesn't care to spend the entire day on the ferry going through the canal itself. My DH was very pleased as well.

On our next trip, we are considering the railroad alongside the canal.

Yes, we took the one the link is to, the Present and Future Panama Canal.

While we really want to see the canal from the inside, we decided to do so when we can actually sail a cruise ship through it. We just have to wait until my vacation allowance gives me enough time off.

We started with a short bus ride to the museum, where we could see ships lined up in the lake waiting for their turn to enter the locks. We saw a short video about the old and new canals, and the differences between how they will operate the new ones. We also saw the new lock apparatus as it had not yet been installed. They are HUGE! It was quite interesting. There was a nice, clean restroom at the museum, as well as a gift ship and snack shop.

Then we were off to the locks, where we got to see what happens when a ship transits. It was very cool.

I would definitely recommend this tour for anyone who doesn't care to spend the entire day on the ferry going through the canal itself. My DH was very pleased as well.

On our next trip, we are considering the railroad alongside the canal.

Thanks, that's exactly what I wanted to know :). I think the kids will be most interested with seeing the actual mechanics of the operation. Was it the Gatun Locks you visited?

Thanks, that's exactly what I wanted to know :). I think the kids will be most interested with seeing the actual mechanics of the operation. Was it the Gatun Locks you visited?

Yes, it was the Gatun locks. I would send your teens online to http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panama_Canal_locks to read before taking them, so that they know what they are about to see. It will mean a lot more that what they probably learned in their social studies class.

While watching a ship actually transit, we heard announcements as they explained the process. Announcements were given in English and Spanish. Let your kids know they will need to listen closely to understand what is being said.

Yes, it was the Gatun locks. I would send your teens online to http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panama_Canal_locks to read before taking them, so that they know what they are about to see. It will mean a lot more that what they probably learned in their social studies class.

While watching a ship actually transit, we heard announcements as they explained the process. Announcements were given in English and Spanish. Let your kids know they will need to listen closely to understand what is being said.

Thank you so much for providing all this information; it's a great help towards our planning :).

We were thinking of doing this on our own. I had read that their were cabs with bilingual drivers, available at the pier, who could take you where you wanted to go, and wait for you, for a nominal price. Maybe called STEP cabs? Do you know of this, and do you think it is practical?

We were thinking of doing this on our own. I had read that their were cabs with bilingual drivers, available at the pier, who could take you where you wanted to go, and wait for you, for a nominal price. Maybe called STEP cabs? Do you know of this, and do you think it is practical?

What were you thinking of doing on your own?

I did not really see cabs at the museum or locks, but I wasn't really looking. There was a ticket required to enter both. That was included in the cost of the tour through the ship.

If you are planning to do the transit tour, you MUST book it through the ship. My understanding is they sell all available seats to the cruise ships when a cruise ship is in town.

You will drive through some not so nice parts of town on the way. Apparently, everyone knows not to mess with the tour buses, though. I've heard of people doing cabs, but I think I would do an organized tour, either through the ship or through someone found on here or another tourist board.

What I am referencing here is for the Atlantic side, conditions would be similar if you are thinking of catching a cab on the Pacific side, but there are some differences. When I was there a "dispatcher" fixed you up with a cab, all legit cabs are yellow, the dispatcher was within the semi walled parking lot of the mall that is adjacent to the pier. If you are planning a visit to Gatun Locks and the new expansion locks, there is a fee to enter both. I do not recall what the entrance fee for Gatun was, but the fee for the expansion locks for people that walk up is $15 per. I am sure that most cabbies are bilingual to a degree and you could ultimately communicate with each other.... however their abilities can widely differ. Nail down your requirements and what you want to do before you take off.

There is nothing inherently unsafe about using a cab in Colon and a cab might give you a little more flexibility at a little lower price. I am not sure you will get a better tour however. IMO your chances of getting a guide on your bus with a better grasp of local knowledge is greater on an organized tour than cabbie du jour.