AVIS car rental at Ft Lauderdale

MSTEG

When we dock at Ft Lauderdale after our TA cruise on the Oasis next month, we plan to rent an AVIS car for a few days post cruise. I understand there is a free shuttle that takes passengers to a local AVIS agency near the cruise dock ( at a port hotel?). Given the large size of the Oasis I would imagine there could be many other passengers to accommodate at this local rental agency post cruise.

Does anyone have any experience to share with using AVIS at Ft Lauderdale after a cruise? Long lines or delays etc. to pickup an AVIS car.

The airport at Ft Lauderdale is relatively close to the port. Has anyone taken a taxi to the FLL airport to pickup an AVIS rental there where there should be more cars and AVIS staff available to handle the volume?

I don't think we used a rental car after our last Allure cruise, but we did after our Independence of the Seas cruise and are planning to again next month.

We did have to wait for a while (maybe twenty minutes or so) outside the terminal for the Avis shuttle to come pick us up, but it did come and we were able to get our rental car fairly easily. This was from the "Port Everglades Shuttle for Cruise Ships, Fort Lauderdale, QF1" Avis location.

We have often turned our car in at the Port Everglades Avis office and have seen many couples waiting around for a turn-in to be cleaned and readied for them. It is a small office where they still use the computer instead of the hand-held for turn-ins and fill in all the data on the computer for rentals. While a great place for turn-ins (after dropping off our bags) and transport to our ship, we have opted to take the inexpensive cab ride to the airport and ask them to drop us at the back of the Avis area. Unload the bags right into the car, check -out at the gate and we are on the way. A bit pricier, but far more convenient that waiting for the shuttle and then waiting in line for paperwork and then waiting for a car.

There is an Avis at the Hyatt Pier 66.

I always stay at the Hyatt before my cruise. I fly into FLL, rent a car with Avis and then return the car right at the hotel. It is so convenient to just wake up on the day of the cruise, go downstairs to drop the car off and then hop of the shuttle. Last year I got on the shuttle and was on the Oasis' Royal Promenade in 20 minutes!

The shuttle has never been too crowded either. There are always seats open.

EDIT: I'm such an idiot. You were talking about post-cruise. Sorry. I usually just take a cab to FLL after the cruise.

Edited by Yorkvillain

We took the shuttle from the port to FLL a airport in June after our Allure cruise. Avis has a shared shuttle with several other car agencies. We rented through Alamo and it was fine. The shuttles were frequent and the lines at the airport to pickup the car weren't bad. We didn't get off the ship until 10:30, so not sure if that makes a difference.