Forward Cabins

cambriah

We recently booked a Panama Canal cruise, but ther were only a limited number of cabins available.

We had no choice but to book a VERY Forward Stateroom.

Any problem with being at "the very front of the boat"?

Wew are two seniors and would appreciate any opinions/thoughts on this issue.

Thanks in advance!

Cambriah

We recently booked a Panama Canal cruise, but ther were only a limited number of cabins available.

We had no choice but to book a VERY Forward Stateroom.

Any problem with being at "the very front of the boat"?

Wew are two seniors and would appreciate any opinions/thoughts on this issue.

Thanks in advance!

Cambriah

Three things cone to mind...

1- Movement - If he seas are rough those at the fore and aft are going to feel it more (best spots are always low & midde to avoid sea sickness). We were on the Solstice in 2012 in unusual gale force winds in the Straits of Florida, and up at the Sky Lounge on Deck x fore, the ship was literally rising & falling a foot or more... We had to get out go there it was so bad !!

2- Distances - Being forward means you re probably going to do a lot more walking to get places, as the majority of venues are going to be midship or aft.

3- Noise & Vibration - There is some noise when the ship docks or departs a port as the anchor & steering pods are upfront... But overall the noise will be a lot less than say n ft Cbin under the same conditions.

I suggest if you have not already, that you check out the STICKYs here on the Celebrity Board feature Spreadsheets outlining the pros & cons for cabins on he various Celebrity Ships... There is one maintained for the S-Class ships by LIBRARYLADY19 and one for the M-Class Ships by HELPTHEJUGGLER

Lots of great info in both

Just be sure and work with a Ship Deck Plan when looking at them... Cause cabin numbers can vary ship to ship... Although because of the similar footprints for each ship in a series (be it M or S) cabins in the same physical locations should have the same pros & cons

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

On our last cruise, we were as far forward as one can get- OV Cabin 7003 on the Millennium. Actually, most of our cruises have been in forward cabins. Haven't been bothered by motion in these cabins. Not sure that being a "senior" (we are too) is a factor in regards to being affected by slightly more motion: however, it is a longer walk to the elevators than you might want.

Edited by TMLAalum

Are you on the Infinity? We have a Panama Canal cruise booked on her also and are as far forward as you can get, 7000. We love this type of OV because it is much larger than a standard room. Yes, you might feel the motion a little more but that has never bothered us. And there is some walking to get to things but that is no too bad either.

We're on for 17 days and looking forward to each one of them. You will love the itinerary.

Depends alot on the ship as to extra walking - on S class ships it is a very long walk from the front of the ship to the back (speaking as a fellow youngish senior). I am very susceptible to motion sickness and you will definitely feel more motion fore or aft if there is motion to be felt. This is simple physics; not an opinion. Some aren't bothered by it and/or don't notice it much. I am and I do. That said, sometimes that is where I have had to book to get on a cruise I wanted. There are advantages. The front elevators are less crowded than the center (or back on M class) except right when shows let out of the theater. You also are very close to the theater which is nice. You are also close to the gym and spa. It was nice to take a quick elevator ride and be right at the T-pool on Summit. If you are a Captains Club Elite or higher member - often the nightly event is held at the front of the ship - very convenient. I prefer mid-ship, but if I had a choice between fore and aft, personally I would pick a forward cabin for the reasons I mentioned.

I've never noticed extra movement being in an Aft cabin. What I do remember is how quiet the room was that I had in an Aft. The reason I remember this is we were in a very vibrating cabin on a Princess ship in the Aft and were moved to a Fwd cabin that will so much better.

As said before the sticky for Celebrity cabins are a great source of information.

I've never noticed extra movement being in an Aft cabin. What I do remember is how quiet the room was that I had in an Aft. The reason I remember this is we were in a very vibrating cabin on a Princess ship in the Aft and were moved to a Fwd cabin that will so much better.

As said before the sticky for Celebrity cabins are a great source of information.

On M class ships in particular, there can be alot of back and forth shaking motion all the way aft. We have experienced this a number of times. Never felt anything like that when we were very far forward. At the risk of sounding argumentative, the science is that if there is motion to be felt on a ship, then the motion will be greater very far aft or very far forward. Some notice this and others don't (although I would guarantee if you have had some of the seas we have experienced - 25+ feet - anyone would feel it:)). Some are bothered by it, and the lucky ones are not. In my family, DH was walking around smiling in 25' seas while I was turning green and popping Dramamine :eek:. I get a bit pushy on this topic not to be mean, but because if someone is very susceptible to feeling motion sick, it is really important for them to know what's what. Every cruise is different as to the state of the seas, and everyone experiences the seas differently. But science is science and that is not disputable.