When price drops

january56

We booked a Celebrity cruise a couple of weeks ago. The agent said that if the price drops before a certain date (which was last Friday), they can drop the price; otherwise it's up to the cruiseline. Well, the price dropped by $400 ($200 each) today. We are Captain's Club members with 8 Celebrity cruises.

We'd like the agent to at least get us some money back (throw us a bone and split the difference maybe) or rebook to a higher category. It's a reputable travel company (I think/hope). Has anyone had any experience with this kind of thing?

Unless I'm wrong, and you haven't made final payment, you are entitled to get a refund, or at least a room credit. It's not up to your TA as to whether or not you get the refund, and I don't think she has a right to place a date by which you can get the lower price. Like I said, if X reduces the price, regardless of when it happens (except if you already made final payment), she cannot refuse to get you a refund. If you made final payment, not even X has the legal responsibility to give you the refund. They might give you some sort of compenstation, like a small room credit, but the whole thing changes once you make that final payment.

I booked a 5 night Pacific NW about a month or so ago for this September and I paid in full at time of booking. The price dropped a little more than 100.00/PP so I called my TA and he not only got me a credit back on my credit card, but and upgrade as well!!!! Not too shabby;)

I have had similar experiences and found that different travel agencies handle the price drop after final payment differently. You must ask for the price adjustment; I know some agents will check for you but many only give you an adjustment if you ask. Once final payment is made, some agents won't adjust but some will adjust right up to sailing. The agent's commission is reduced if the payment is lowered. Now I stick with an agent who will adjust after final payment. Ask the agent when you book.

Susan

On my first Celebrity cruise I was able to find, on their website, when the prices dropped and then I would call my travel agent. She would then call Celebrity and the price dropped. I did this three times before final payment. As our travel agent said, by the time I got through with Celebrity they would be paying us to go on the cruise. Unfortunately, Celebrity has changed their website so you can no longer key in the cabin category for your cruise and find out what the current price is. We now book almost a year in advance and get the cheaper rate at the start - we saved $1,000 Cdn this year by booking early.:)

We have had the good fortune to have the price drop after final payment and we did get a $700 refund and our friends got $400 after I notified them. I had just happened to notice a price change on one internet site and notified the folks we had booked with and there was no problem. The credit to our card came from Celebrity.

I'm not sure what you mean by you can't key in your cabin category and see if the price has dropped...that sounds like it might have been an easy way to check but you can still check...just pretend you are making a new booking and see what the price is for your cabin category. Unfortunately, mine hasn't budged either way since booking. But I have also on past cruises gotten a lower price even AFTER final payment, I go through Celebrity directly (no TA) and just ask nicely.

We book directly with Celebrity and, starting six months out, I call once a week to see if there are any Resident or Sr. specials. There has never been a problem getting the reduction. However, I have never called after final payment for the simple reason that I don't feel we would be entitled to a fare designed to fill unsold cabins.

Unfortunately, Celebrity has changed their website so you can no longer key in the cabin category for your cruise and find out what the current price is.

Actually, you can still get the current price; you just have to go through a few more screens. Do a search for the itinerary, ship, and date you want, then follow the prompts as if you were making a reservation...:D

Archived