Dress on RCI crossing

lknick

I would like to receive from those who have made a crossing on RCI some insights and observations as to the dress of the passengers, with a special emphasis on how many wore tux on formal night.

Our experiences on crossings so far have been:

On our 6/03 QE2 Queens class crossing, everyone wore tux.

On our 11/03 Oosterdam crossing, about 2/3 wore tux

On our 5/04 Prizendam crossing, about 1/2 wore tux.

One our 6/04 QM2 Britannia class crossing, less than 1/5 wore tux.

With such a variety, I just can’t figure out what RCI would be like. I have everything from a formal military mess dress to shorts-n-sandals, but the less I need to take the better.

Now please don’t use my question as an invitation to discuss your opinion on cruise ship dress.

We took the Transatlantic cruise a few years ago on RCI from Barcelona. The formal nights were pretty much the same as all the others I've been on. I'd say 30 - 50% of the men wore tuxes or dinner jackets.

Hope this helps with your planning.

The following expectation can be found on RCI’s Web Page:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/lifeOnboardFaq.do;jsessionid=00003r7uyfPObwi9-KWfJ3UFI4U:v2mocc7o#8

What are the dress codes onboard?

There are three distinct types of evenings onboard: casual, smart casual and formal. Suggested guidelines for these nights are:

Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women

Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women

Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

3 to 4-night cruises include one formal night and two or three casual nights.

5 - nights include one formal and four casual nights.

7 to 9-night cruises include two formal nights, one smart casual night and four to six casual nights.

10, 11, and 12-night cruises include two formal nights and two smart casual nights, all other nights are casual.

14+ -night cruises include three formal nights and four smart casual nights. All other nights are casual.

We appreciate your usual parental guidance and cooperation in observing these easy guidelines with your children.

Thank you.

Any other thoughts would be welcome.

Check out the Jewel Transatlantic thread on the Meet and Mingle thread and you will find that there are a number of posts indicating who will be wearing tuxes on formal night. Of the male posters on that thread, it appears to be a majority.

On the three crossings I have done on RCCL it was a mixture of 50/50 between tux and dark suite I would say. Didn´t saw any casual dressed or even smart casual dressed people on that sailings in the Dining room. (Note I don´t checked everybody on board so I can´t say there haven´t been some just can say I saw nobody dressed less than formal in DR).

Archived