Open booking

billy32303

Wondering why I would ever buy another "open booking" certificate. My last experience really back fired. Did the transfer to my travel agent that had lots of extras for that particular cruise, only to be told that with the coupon, I did not qualify. I am still pretty upset, wrote my TA, got a call last night and still not certain that I will get anything. Think that is the last "open booking" this guy will buy...what a hassle. Anyone else in this situation?

I don't understand why the Open Booking OBC could not be used by your TA. Only thing I can think of is that the TA's OBC was really from Royal, maybe from a group booking, and that could not be combined with the Open Booking OBC.

The Open Booking OBC has been severely reduced, so for many of us, it does not make sense to use it anymore.

Wondering why I would ever buy another "open booking" certificate. My last experience really back fired. Did the transfer to my travel agent that had lots of extras for that particular cruise, only to be told that with the coupon, I did not qualify. I am still pretty upset, wrote my TA, got a call last night and still not certain that I will get anything. Think that is the last "open booking" this guy will buy...what a hassle. Anyone else in this situation?
You did not do your research. Always check with your TA before you transfer on what's combinable as they have to agree to it. Edited by FLACRUISER99

Last month on Seranade we bought 2 Open bookings to book direct with RCI internet booking as better flight details given than when booking on ship Also very difficult to either get through or communicate with RCI in Guatamala. Completed on line booking on our return but our Open booking was not allowed. Feel we wasted our cash as it was never explained to us by Future Cruise agent that it was not able to be used on internet booking. Spoke to customer service in Guatamala who told me as a D+ I should have known this???????

Edited by Scotland01
k

Last month on Seranade we bought 2 Open

Was curious of the reason you bought them.

OBC is now severely reduced and the low deposit (£75) must be increased to the full deposit when the certificate is applied to a cruise. (UK rules!)

We have just used our last certificate purchase under the old rules and will not be buying any more.

As Bob says, there is no real incentive to purchase them any more.

Sorry to hear that RCI have messed you around but to be fair you need to quote the certificate number when you book as that will be your booking reference/reservation number.

Edited by icsys

Was curious of the reason you bought them.

OBC is now severely reduced and the low deposit (£75) must be increased to the full deposit when the certificate is applied to a cruise. (UK rules!)

We have just used our last certificate purchase under the old rules and will not be buying any more.

As Bob says, there is no real incentive to purchase them any more.

Sorry to hear that RCI have messed you around but to be fair you need to quote the certificate number when you book as that will be your booking reference.

We quoted the Open booking reference on first page of internet booking along from C&A number and came back to not able to be used. We made internet booking as it specified flight provider and times. Had we booked on the ship it could not specify flights. We are going from Glasgow to Dubai and as I have back problems always try to get most direct route.

It's rather rude of the customer service in Guatamala to suggest as a D+ you should have known this. Even THEY don't know their own policies!!! A read through the many posts here on CC is proof of that.

Please quit blaming Guatemalans like it is some sort of a cultural issue. Having led a customer service area for a fortune 50 company, if there is a customer service issue it is most often the result of training and/or supervising......not because the reps are inept. I adopted my daughter from Guatemala and she was reading encyclopedias at age 3. The Guatemalans I have interacted with have shown me they are a brillant culture and some of the most hard working people you will ever find on the planet. These ongoing references to the reps being from Guatemala, therefore they are incapable,is offensive in every way. Please be careful about derogatory blanket statements regarding other cultures. There may be an isolated individual, but that does not equal an entire ethnic group. Look at where the source of problems originate.....it usually is not at the bottom of the employment heirarchy.

Sent from my SCH-I915 using Forums mobile app

(edited) The Open Booking OBC has been severely reduced, so for many of us, it does not make sense to use it anymore.

I always respect your opinion and I agree with most of what you say, but money is money. I have used the anytime booking with the old rate many times and appreciated it. Now that it is only $25 I am disappointed but $25 is $25 and it is not hard to get that money. I will take it and spend it as I have in the past. Why give up $25 just because it used tone more? I don't understand that. Sorry to hijack the original post by the op.

Mike

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Edited by Motorman23

I always respect your opinion and I agree with most of what you say, but money is money. I have used the anytime booking with the old rate many times and appreciated it. Now that it is only $25 I am disappointed but $25 is $25 and it is not hard to get that money. I will take it and spend it as I have in the past. Why give up $25 just because it used tone more? I don't understand that. Sorry to hijack the original post by the op.

Mike

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I agree. Of course, I would prefer $100 but $25 is at least two bar drinks.

I also think it's worthwhile for the reduced deposit. I know reduced deposits are also available with a Wow sale but you never know exactly when those will be offered.

Biggest advantage with open booking for us here in the U.S. is the reduced deposit of $200. DW and I like taking the longer cruises and book way in advance. We always have at least five booked at any time on a rolling basis, at $900 deposit required for 10+ nights that's a lot of money to tie up.

The OBC was nice when it was higher, but I'll still take the reduced mount for the benefit of the reduced deposit.