Upgrade calls USA only?

caleyjag

Hi

I was wondering if upgrade calls are only offered to residents of the USA? I've not seen any posts from non US residents saying the upgrade fairy has been in touch. Don't get me wrong I don't begrudge anyone getting 'the call' and it makes sense as the majority of passengers and departure points are in the good old US of A. I am just curious . . . . . . . . . (and maybe just a wee bit jealous;))

Because of time of day and intl calling, I would guess they tend to do them in USA only. .

Why would it be an international call? I have been telephoned a number of times from the London branch of NCL. Surely that office would deal with UK bookings.

Not necessarily. We live in Germany (though we usually book directly through NCL.com) and we got an upsell email to a Garden Villa on the Pearl. (Hell, yes, we took it!!):D

So maybe it doesn't happen very often, but it does happen.

Not necessarily. We live in Germany (though we usually book directly through NCL.com) and we got an upsell email to a Garden Villa on the Pearl. (Hell, yes, we took it!!):D

So maybe it doesn't happen very often, but it does happen.

I don't quite follow your logic on that one. I was talking about the London office for UK bookings into NCL (UK). You live in Germany and book through the USA site.:confused:

In reference to the OP's original question...

I live in Canada and last November about a week or so before we sailed the Epic, I received a phone call from the upgrade fairy. We had one of the large balcony cabins on deck 12 and that wonderful fairy offered to upsell us to a suite. I declined the offer. The only reason I didn't accept was due to our sailing being just over a month before Christmas, and it just wasn't in the budget at that time.

So I guess the answer to your question is no it is not just the USA! She reaches out further than just the US. How far? I don't know. It might be North America only for the reasons mentioned in other posts. It might be worldwide and you have just been unlucky not to get the call. Bottom line is I know from personal experience the fairy reaches out beyond the US borders. But just how far is a mystery to me.:confused:

I hope this helps to answer your question even if it is only a little.

Anyone can book thru the US site....it has better booking conditions.[emoji1]

Slightly off topic which is about upgrades, but I am fully aware anybody can book through the USA site. However it is also more expensive than the UK site. For example $1909 compares with £1059 for the same cruise !!

As far as I am aware the upsell fairy does not visit our fair United Kingdom.... :(:confused:

Travelling with an infant I have actively been trying to get a Balcony Cabin upgrade, called Norwegian who told me to call my agent, who then told me to call Norwegian. Even sent an email to their customer services email requesting details of any upgrades available to me for a supplement. The response I got back was there were balconies still available however they would be at the full rack rate and would not offer any discount.

At that stage I had to assume that the upgrade fairy either does not exist or is unwilling to fly long haul....

Wow - Responses from Ireland, England, Germany, USA, Canada and Australia !

Thank you all SO much. I can't help but be impressed by the willingness of people to share their experience and thoughts to help others.

I never realised anyone could book through ncl.com directly (good to know for the future). Also good to know the upgrade fairy will travel (although we're still unsure how far).

Here's hoping all you nice people kind enough to respond will get 'the call' at some point :)

Slightly off topic which is about upgrades, but I am fully aware anybody can book through the USA site. However it is also more expensive than the UK site. For example $1909 compares with £1059 for the same cruise !!

Hmmmm.... Can anyone book through the UK site, if there is this type of price difference?

:confused:

Thanks!

GeezerCouple (currently in the USA)

Hmmmm.... Can anyone book through the UK site, if there is this type of price difference?

:confused:

Thanks!

GeezerCouple (currently in the USA)

It is possible book through the .com(USA), .co.uk or the .eu sites.

But you need to be aware of the pros and cons and for a lot .com pros outweigh any cons

.com refundable deposits before final payment, price drops, better chance of an upgrade and generally better pricing,

.co.uk non refundable deposit, expensive change fees, better legal protection, pricing sometimes better

.eu 10% of fare non refundable deposit, better legal protection, pricing sometimes better, final payment 30 days before cruise

We are going out on the Epic in March and for us the pricing when we booked was better in the UK than the US by about $1000 however we are locked into this cruise or we loose our deposit around $750. If we wanted to change to a later cruise the change fee is around $250

Examples of pricing between the 3 sites for our cruise 29 March 2015 on the Epic in a BE Balcony for 2

UK £1458 ($2,368) non refundable deposit £200 ($325) final payment due 60 days

EU 1838 euros ($2332) non refundable deposit 165 euro ($210) final payment due 30 days

US $2373 refundable deposit $500 final payment due 75 days

its all swings and roundabouts to get the best deal

Edited by nomad098
forgot to include better chance of an upgrade

I live in Europe (Norway), but my NCL cruise consultant is based in USA (I have had the same PCC since before the booking offices were separated in to several "branches"). I chose to continue booking through the US office, because I find that the prices are better in US dollars compared to Euros.... I also like that the deposit on US bookings is 100% refundable as long as it is before final payment date, so that it doesn't cost me anything to change a reservation if a better offer comes along after my original booking was done.

And yes, I have received several e-mails (not calls) over the years from the "upgrade fairy", and other times I have found the upgrades myself by checking prices a few weeks before sailing time (I always book more than 9 months in advance). Just be aware that if you have some special perks in your original booking, you might loose them if you change the reservation - since the upgrade often is considered as cancelling and re-booking.

Edited by TrumpyNor

UK £1458 ($2,368) non refundable deposit £200 ($325) final payment due 60 days

EU 1838 euros ($2332) non refundable deposit 165 euro ($210) final payment due 30 days

US $2373 refundable deposit $500 final payment due 75 days

its all swings and roundabouts to get the best deal

It would certainly help if every travel sector in each country had the same rules of engagement

Thanks nomad098. My curiosity on the mysteries of the upgrade fairy has resulted in a revelation which will fundamentally alter how I make my cruise bookings in the future. In truth the higher upgrade potential would be unlikely to feature in my decision making given the chances seem slim irrespective of home location. However, being able to choose between the merits of headline price, deposit amount and final payment date is invaluable as the relative merits alter dependent on the time of booking relative to departure.

I am wiser for your input and will add Wales to the list of useful contributors.

It would certainly help if every travel sector in each country had the same rules of engagement

Though I can imagine NCL "might" have some varied "rules", the bigger ones are a result of the various governments setting rules that NCL must follow. And, remember, the government is here to help you. (LOL!)