luxury river cruising

poss

I have been on a b2b river cruise on the Rhine and Rhone with Avalon and swore I would never try another because we truly disliked this line. Time has passed and I do want to do the Danube and am now looking at Uniworld and Tauck. I appreciate reading all of the pros and cons of each. One question?? Do either of these cruise lines offer seating just for "two" persons or all they all the same where you must share tables every evening? I thought Tauck may do this but want to make sure prior to making a decision.

Tauck do not have seating for two in their main dining room but they do offer alternate dinning in their Lido Bistro which is at the stern. We and others ate there during our recent cruise and yes you can have a table for two. The Bistro menu is on display at the front desk every morning and as seating in the bistro is limited you have to make a booking. Hope this helps.

Our main issue was the food and dining. The dining room and their acoustics were terrible and the noise level so loud you could barely share a conversation. It took forever to be served and then the same old bread basket, mini salad and cold, raw steak among other things. We have taken many ocean cruises and this was by far the most terrible food we have experienced. The tours and itinerary were good but we could not wait to get off the boat. Really hated the whole tipping hoopla you had to experience in the end. Prefer all inclusive so they all don't pretend to be your best friend prior to disembarking ;)

I have been on many cruises with slow people holding up tours. Uniworld was the first I have been on where you could sign up for a regular tour or a slow walker tour for the same basic tour. The slow walkers did not cover as much territory but they got to see the basics, with assistance from vans on certain tours but they did not hold up the others. On our Danube cruise several people asked if they could do a fast walker tour and the cruise director added one. Sometimes you just have to ask! I was VERY impressed with the tours on Uniworld. After many paid for tours on ocean lines, I thought the free tours would be terrible. Actually they were quite good and I loved the ear phone quiet boxes.

I have been on many cruises with slow people holding up tours. Uniworld was the first I have been on where you could sign up for a regular tour or a slow walker tour for the same basic tour. The slow walkers did not cover as much territory but they got to see the basics, with assistance from vans on certain tours but they did not hold up the others. On our Danube cruise several people asked if they could do a fast walker tour and the cruise director added one. Sometimes you just have to ask! I was VERY impressed with the tours on Uniworld. After many paid for tours on ocean lines, I thought the free tours would be terrible. Actually they were quite good and I loved the ear phone quiet boxes.

We had the same on AMA. Sometimes also a fast-walkers tour, but always a slow. Two of our new friends on the cruise always chose the slow tour and felt that it was better for them and for everybody else. Nice people!

On our recent Uniworld cruise, I did ask our tour director about adding a fast walker group and her response was that it was something Uniworld was looking into. It seems like an easy enough request to fulfill when there are several guides to work with.