Balcony cabins on the Queen Mary 2 for M501:

Fabricrat

DH and I are in the process of booking this cruise. We want it to be special as we are celebrating our 30th anniversary on board :D. This is our 2nd cruise but first with Cunard. I am curious about the sheltered balcony cabins. How sheltered are these areas? Are we able to "enjoy" the sound and smell of the ocean? As we will be spending time in the Caribbean, we want to enjoy as much of the sun as possible. :confused::confused:

DH and I are in the process of booking this cruise. We want it to be special as we are celebrating our 30th anniversary on board :D. This is our 2nd cruise but first with Cunard. I am curious about the sheltered balcony cabins. How sheltered are these areas? Are we able to "enjoy" the sound and smell of the ocean? As we will be spending time in the Caribbean, we want to enjoy as much of the sun as possible. :confused::confused:

If sun exposure it what you want then avoid any balconies on 4, 5, 6 as well as the "obstructed" ones on deck 8. Sheltered balconies are very popular for TAs where the weather can be bad but the "sheltered" construction allows one to enjoy ocean air. It's not possible to see the sea while seated. These are more suited for those who like to lounge and read rather than lounge and sunbath.

You will have more sun if you chose deck 11 or 12, or those on deck 8 which are forward or aft of the lifeboats.

Edited by BlueRiband

On the other hand, you can look directly down from a 4,5,6 sheltered balcony and see/hear the ocean (and the bow wave if your cabin is forward). From higher decks you look out past the Deck 7 promenade so you don't have as direct an ocean viewpoint.

We've been on deck 5 for all our QM2 trips except one.

I love the sheltered balconies. As others have said, they're great for a transatlantic. We've had a sheltered balcony for warm cruises, too, and were very happy with them.

This is how I explain it. Imagine that instead of a balcony, your cabin has an outer room with a huge window that has no glass in it. The window runs nearly the full width of your balcony and almost up to the ceiling of your balcony. But it is not open all the way to the floor. The lower part of the wall is solid and the "windowsill" is about 45 inches above the floor.

Somewhere on the Cunard website there are pictures of the regular balcony cabins and sheltered, as you would be looking out from inside the cabin. I couldn't find them just now, but perhaps someone else can give you a link.

Here a a couple of snaps of our sheltered balcony: https://sites.google.com/site/qm2transatlantic28july2014/home/sheltered-balcony-5124

For the reasons stated, it's my first choice for a TA; but for the Carib, I would definitely move up to the "regular" balcony.

Happy anniversary! What a way to celebrate!

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

We booked a cabin on deck 5. Our thoughts were the majority of "hot" days should be when we are in the Caribbean and we will spend those days off the ship exploring. So looking forward to this "grand" experience!!!!

We have been on deck 5 for most of our trips, including warm weather cruises. Same as 3rdGenCunarder.....we think of the sheltered balcony as an extended room, and I love the privacy. Perfect location....being on a lower deck, you absolutely will enjoy the sound and smell of the ocean and watching the water at a closer range.

Late at night you get the feeling that you are the only one on the ship.......not so much with the open balcony. You will love it. :)

The one time we were higher than 5 (on 11) was a transatlantic, but the weather, even in October, was nice enough to make it worthwhile. Being on the starboard side for an eastbound helped.

We did a transatlantic on deck 8 in April, starboard. I was a little apprehensive since we were all the way forward but we had great weather as well. I just like knowing that even in bad weather, the balcony can be used.......although with the new rules, it won't be as important. :)