Opinion please?

critcatny

I'm beginning my research for our Alaska cruise next year. So far I've only decided that I want a cruise that goes to Glacier Bay. Other than that, I've got no clue. Trying to decide which cruiseline to go with. We've been on Carnival, Celebrity, and Royal to the Caribbean and loved them all. Anyone that has been on more than one line to Alaska have a favorite? And why?

I think we will be booking for May or June to keep costs down. I always thought a balcony was a must for this cruise but now not sure. Maybe an O/V can save us some money and still be fine.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Is this a one-way or RT cruise?

As you look at itineraries, another important factor to consider is the port times. Make sure you're in port long enough and at the right time of day to accomplish any planned activities.

A great resource to help with your decision are the Trip Reports listed in STICKYs near the top of the page. There are many detailed photo journals with lots of helpful info about the ship, food, entertainment, activities, ports, etc. Good, bad, and ugly! ( If you look at the 2013 List, start with reply #45 where the reports are sorted by cruiseline/ship)

I'm beginning my research for our Alaska cruise next year. So far I've only decided that I want a cruise that goes to Glacier Bay. Other than that, I've got no clue. Trying to decide which cruiseline to go with. We've been on Carnival, Celebrity, and Royal to the Caribbean and loved them all. Anyone that has been on more than one line to Alaska have a favorite? And why?

None of these cruise lines go to Glacier Bay, except Carnival for (usually) only the first and last cruises of the season.

I do have a favorite, as you can see in my signature, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's right for you. Next year I'm trying HAL to get to Sitka, so I'm willing to make compromises to get what I really want. If you really want Glacier Bay, you may have to consider other lines, or choose one of the few Carnival cruises that includes it. Look at overall itinerary and see what suits you!

Just got back from alaska we went on Princess - the Coral Princess and did glacier bay....we did the cruise tour so we did land and sea. it was amazing. i would not miss having a balcony if you can afford it. we loved our balcony and sat out there every afternoon into the evening to see all the sea life and we saw alot of it so it was definetly worth it! i just started researching to do just a cruise next year. Princess had great prices with a big sale we found in March of this year...hoping they do that again.

I've done Celebrity with Sitka, Ketchikan, Juneau and Hubbard Glacier. Always thought I was missing something by not going to Glacier Bay and Skagway so now we are doing Holland America, Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan and Glacier Bay.

I do think a one way with land tour would be awesome, but DH can't get off that long for work. I also think Vancouver, inside passage is a much better cruise than going in and out of Seattle and going open sea.

Enjoy the planning, it's so much fun!

We haven't seen Glacier Bay yet, but it's on our bucket list. I have read a lot about it here on CC and it looks fantastic.

We have taken two Alaska cruises so far. Both times were in mid August. The first one in 2009 was a round trip from Seattle on the Star Princess. Our ports were Juneau, Ketchikan, and Skagway. We also saw Sawyer Glacier in Tracy Arm on that cruise. We had a great time but wanted to go back again, which we did in mid-August of 2012.

On our second Alaska cruise, we sailed on the Royal Caribbean Radiance of the Seas on the southbound route from Seward to Vancouver. We loved it! We had four ports of call, Juneau, Ketchikan, Skagway and Icy Strait Point located in the Alaskan town of Hoonah. On this cruise we saw Hubbard Glacier where we witnessed many calving events.

You might be interested in seeing my wife's picture slideshows at the links below. It may help you decide which cruise to take.

Alaska is amazing! We plan to go back again on an itinerary that includes Glacier Bay. Happy cruising. It's a great way to see the world.

I have a 7 day first week May 2015 on Holland out of Seattle. It does go to Glacier Bay. I got a balcony for $999 pp with an OBC of like $150 thru an online

TA that can be found on CC. I did book it in mid July. I haven't seen it that cheap since. I have never sailed Holland so am excited to try them. Seems like a long ways off....

I have a 7 day first week May 2015 on Holland out of Seattle. It does go to Glacier Bay. I got a balcony for $999 pp with an OBC of like $150 thru an online

TA that can be found on CC. I did book it in mid July. I haven't seen it that cheap since. I have never sailed Holland so am excited to try them. Seems like a long ways off....

Welcome to HAL. Here is a link to their Specialty Restaurant, Beverage, and Room Service (24/7 and free) menus:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/?page_id=908

We were on the Westerdam July 2014 to Alaska if you would like to see Main Dining Room menus or daily activities (On Location).

We sailed on the Westerdam and had a great time. If you want a balcony in Alaska, I recommend an aft-facing balcony. Not only do you get views of both shores, but you're also protected from the wind. We had an aft wrap on the back corner of the ship and the side balcony was too cold and windy to sit on, but the back-facing was much warmer. We spent a lot of time out there.

I suggest you further back up and determine- where you want to leave from and where you want to go? Meaning- are you interested in a one way cruise? Do you have a preference- if going round trip- Vancouver/Seattle? Also do you know the DIFFERENCES on each of these cruise routes?

Then you can determine what cruise would best fit this trip.

We were on a Princess Cruise this past September that went into Glacier Bay National Park on Sept. 5th or 6th (can't recall exact date). However, I do remember the park ranger on board telling us the park had been closed to ALL cruise ships until Sept. 2 because it is a birthing area for seals. So I would definitely check that out if you really want to see the park (which is gorgeous, by the way).

We were on a Princess Cruise this past September that went into Glacier Bay National Park on Sept. 5th or 6th (can't recall exact date). However, I do remember the park ranger on board telling us the park had been closed to ALL cruise ships until Sept. 2 because it is a birthing area for seals. So I would definitely check that out if you really want to see the park (which is gorgeous, by the way).

No, "park had been closed", is not accurate. The ONLY area closed was the John Hopkins glacier. Ships could still sail the John Hopkins Inlet- which most do not get as far as the glacier viewing anyway, ALL season long, Glacier Bay cruisers would have seen 4 glaciers (weather permitting) on ALL the cruises and made the entire transit up the Tar Inlet. Take a look at a map for these details.

We are booked on a northbound cruise from Vancouver to Seward. I've been to both Hubbard Glacier and Glacier Bay. Hubbard was more jaw-dropping, but it was late in the season and we were able to get further in. In May, we will see both Hubbard and Glacier Bay back to back so I will get to see both at the same time of year. And this time, we are able to tack on a land trip because we have the time.

We are booked on a northbound cruise from Vancouver to Seward. I've been to both Hubbard Glacier and Glacier Bay. Hubbard was more jaw-dropping, but it was late in the season and we were able to get further in. In May, we will see both Hubbard and Glacier Bay back to back so I will get to see both at the same time of year. And this time, we are able to tack on a land trip because we have the time.

In my opinion it's total "luck" Hubbard Glacier viewing. :) No way to predict how close and a lot has to do with the cpt.

Booked on Holland next summer July 22 for the cruise tour Fairbanks to Vancouver-based on the itinerary. And we go to Glacier Bay. We are certainly looking forward to our trip! Check out Holland Oosterdam.

Edited by travgurl