Star Specialty Restaurant - Which one?

funcky

Will be going Dec 2014 Mexican Riviera on NCL Star. Budget to go only one specialty dinner restaurant. Probably on last night of the cruise. If there is only one choice, which restaurant and food selection would you recommend? Our family of 3 is husband, wife, and teen daughter. Thank you for your input. :)

Will be going Dec 2014 Mexican Riviera on NCL Star. Budget to go only one specialty dinner restaurant. Probably on last night of the cruise. If there is only one choice, which restaurant and food selection would you recommend? Our family of 3 is husband, wife, and teen daughter. Thank you for your input. :)

This is an EXTREMELY subjective question. You should not be swayed by the opinions of others.

If you can only afford one, pick the one that appeals most to you.

I am sure you will be pleased regardless of your choice.

Enjoy your cruise. Lots of good ports on that cruise.

Edited by Cruisin&Relaxin

I do want to know the opinions of others. I am sure I am old enough to make decision on my own. What is so sensitive about my question? Is it not ok to ask if you want to go on Epic or Breakaway? I thought that what this board is for. Instead of an advise, I get to call into vice principal office. Thanks anyway!!

I do want to know the opinions of others. I am sure I am old enough to make decision on my own. What is so sensitive about my question? Is it not ok to ask if you want to go on Epic or Breakaway? I thought that what this board is for. Instead of an advise, I get to call into vice principal office. Thanks anyway!!

Whereas I though the first answer was extremely polite and made every effort to wish you a nice cruise........otherwise, we have always found every Le Bistro to be very good. I can't remember if we ate there on the Star or not.

Sorry that you are taking what I said the wrong way. Didn't mean to offend.

Let me try again. Since the restaurants you would enjoy are driven by your desires and tastes, you probably have enough info right now to make a great choice based on the restaurant info found on the NCL website.

If you feel you need more info, then I hope you get the opinion of others that you want.

Enjoy your cruise. Didn't mean to spoil your preparations in any way.

Sorry if I misunderstood but "EXTREMELY" all in uppercase make me think like someone is yelling.

Extremely, in caps, also is to emphasize..."emphasize"....that food tastes are one of the most varied opinion subjects/topics on which you can request opinions. Even with Le Bistro, my favorite, some persons on here hate the snails and mushroom soup, both of which I love....well, the soup anyhow. Some folks on here swear by Cagneys. Me, I can cook a better steak at home. Most don't seem to like the Italian restaurants very much. They're one of my favorites. The Moderno restaurants on the NCL ships, wow, most give them great reviews. I thought it was good enough. But I just can't handle that much meat. And so on..... That is what was being conveyed..... I think.

Extremely, in caps, also is to emphasize..."emphasize"....that food tastes are one of the most varied opinion subjects/topics on which you can request opinions. Even with Le Bistro, my favorite, some persons on here hate the snails and mushroom soup, both of which I love....well, the soup anyhow. Some folks on here swear by Cagneys. Me, I can cook a better steak at home. Most don't seem to like the Italian restaurants very much. They're one of my favorites. The Moderno restaurants on the NCL ships, wow, most give them great reviews. I thought it was good enough. But I just can't handle that much meat. And so on..... That is what was being conveyed..... I think.

Right on said much better than I apparently failed to say.

I agree with the other posters...it depends what you like. If you go to the Star section on the NCL website and look at the restaurants, they usually have a menu listed for each one. It doesn't change during the cruise, so you'll know what they're going to offer. Maybe by looking at the menus you'll see what appeals to you and your family the most.

For me, I love the Italian restaurants because that's my favorite food. I don't eat steak or much meat, so I've never been to Cagney's, but a lot of people love it. We have been to Moderno on BA and even though I don't like a lot of meat, I liked it and would go there again. I like some French food, but nothing really called to me from Le Bistro. However, I have been to Le Bistro with my MIL once when she wanted everyone to go. Not my favorite food, but the surroundings and service was great so it was an enjoyable meal. The dining room is more elegant than La Cucina, which tends to be more boisterous.

It's hard to tell what someone else would like, but none of them ever seem to get bad reviews. We'll be on the Star in a few weeks and have two vouchers. We'll use them at Moderno and La Cucina. Hope that helps a little.

Have fun!

Thank you for your concern. All of restaurant choices are excellent. That is why we can not decide. I was hoping for extra detail insights as to help us narrow down. For example, my daughter do not like steak but I do. Therefore knowing what we can order in a restaurant can help us accomodate everyone's taste. Did "not" mean for this post to rank one over another.

Fyi, we been on many cruises but we never goes for the extra charge dinner. After our not so @#$#$ dining experience on CCL Magic, we decide to sample the specialty offerings this time. Being the "cheapo" that I am, I want to make sure I pick the right one even if the extra charge is less than one pair of shoes I bought at the mall just because it is on sale. Anyway, thanks for your input.

We have always found Le Bistro to be our favorite dining spot. Good choice of menu items. As mentioned above the mushroom soup can not be beat and escargot is the best. Wonderful appetizers and our dining experience has always been very good. Cagney's is good ,but a steak house. Moderno does not have the best atmosphere for dining. Since you are specialty dining on last night you will have plenty of time to check all out and see which one looks most comfortable for your family.

I would choose Cagneys......and although many of my LARGE family enjoy Le Bistro....its menu selections are more subjective....and do not appeal to everyone.

Cagneys has more of an "upscale steakhouse" feel and menu......and although we eat in all of the specialty restaurants during each cruise.....Cagneys is the one that we usually choose for enjoying 2 or 3 times per trip....depending on the length of each cruise.

I would suggest you take a look at each of the menus....and see which one "floats your boat" and then decide.....and you can always change your mind once onboard....

We enjoy all of the Specialty restaurants.....as we do get tired of the main dining rooms.....but I do agree that this is a subjective decision....

My thoughts are still with Cagneys.......but you may feel differently after having viewed the menus. First choice as per my opinion would be Cagneys, followed by Le Bistro....and then maybe Teppanyaki. Again....we eat at ALL of the above AND the other spec restaurants during each cruise....and can find things to love/hate about them all! So rest assured that you will prob be happy no matte which you choose!

Happy cruising AND eating!

Haven't been on the STAR yet (going in January :) ). but I have always enjoyed Cagney's and Tappanyaki the best on all my other NCL cruises.

It's your choice from there. If you are a big steak lover, then it is Cagney's.

If a bit of entertainment and variety with your dinner from the chef....then it is Tappanyaki.

I don't think you could go wrong with either choice. :)

Don

I'm partial to Cagneys, good selection, quality meal. Now in saying that, I'm not a huge fan of the pay restaurants as I normally eat all day and find the meal to be food overdose. I'd be tempted to save your money.

Other than LeBistro which is worth it for the mushroom soup alone, we really enjoyed Ginza Asian Restaurant. We did not run across it until late in the cruise and ended up eating there twice. Lovely staff and the food was great!

I've included a pic of the tres French Coq au vin and of the famous LeBistro mushroom soup that I totally wish I could have a bowl of right now! They have the roasted mushrooms in the bowl and then pour the cream sauce over them table side. YUM!!

NCLStar012912213_zpsb70317b3.jpg

NCLStar012912215_zpsd0e2e6d0.jpg

And here are some pics of the food we got at Ginza..

NCLStar012912139_zpsa84edbac.jpgNCLStar012912135_zps53acdf32.jpgNCLStar012912140_zpsd4788572.jpg

We sailed on the NCL Star over Christmas 2014 and are going on her 10-20-14. My opinion is to avoid Cagney's. We have had 3 of our last cruises with poor food there. Only reason we returned was to be with friends who had to do it. The Italian restaurant was very good, the new Moderno was very good (location not so hot) and Le Bistro is OK and has a nice atmosphere. Be aware that Platinum Latitude members are given a free dinner at a specialty restaurant. I am one and I think the quality of the products has declined because of this. Just remember you have already paid for your food, so location and menu should be important.

We are sailing on the Star in early November. We are partial to La Cucina for the Eggplant and other Italian dishes they don't make anywhere else on the ship. We also like Ginza for the Teppanyiaki experience which is always a party especially if you have a good table of people. Otherwise we are happy with the service in the Main Dining Rooms and aren't willing to pay more for perfectly good food.

Other than LeBistro which is worth it for the mushroom soup alone, we really enjoyed Ginza Asian Restaurant. We did not run across it until late in the cruise and ended up eating there twice. Lovely staff and the food was great!

I've included a pic of the tres French Coq au vin and of the famous LeBistro mushroom soup that I totally wish I could have a bowl of right now! They have the roasted mushrooms in the bowl and then pour the cream sauce over them table side. YUM!!

NCLStar012912213_zpsb70317b3.jpg

NCLStar012912215_zpsd0e2e6d0.jpg

And here are some pics of the food we got at Ginza..

NCLStar012912139_zpsa84edbac.jpgNCLStar012912135_zps53acdf32.jpgNCLStar012912140_zpsd4788572.jpg

If I read this right the pix are from '12. The food in Le Bistro is not like this anymore, sad to say.