Antigua

We are really looking forward to seeing Antigua in December, but wondered if we would have time to go to Nelsons Dockyard and spend sometime on a beach. Is it a big island, or are things close together? And would a taxi wait for us/ come back for us?

To be honest, this is such a lovely island with plenty to see that we didn't have much time at a beach. We loved the Nelson's dockyard area and wished we could have had a little longer there to just sit and take in the area. We did get the driver to drop us at a beach for an hour or so on the way back to the ship and then he collected us later. He didn't expect payment until he had dropped us at the ship as some were a little worried he may not return for us - but don't forget these people are very reliable. This is a beautiful island, we could have easily spent more time there.

i can recommend ffryes (spelling?) beach, a beautiful powder white sand, a quiet beach with a bar/restaurant rest rooms and a few sunbeds (only one small nearby resort)...about 20mins from the port, $16 in a taxi each way (taxis are all mini buses you could do what we did and rope another couple in and share the fare)

ffryes.jpg

Nelsons Dockyard - I seem to remember we were there for about one and half hours - no charge to walk round. There are lots of little boats and some market type stalls and cafes. But it's lovely to walk around in the sun and I could have easily spent half a day wandering round.

If you pick up one of the shared taxis at the gate they will allow you as much time as you want at each place.

When we were dropped off at the end of the trip, our ship was docked next to another and the small town was very busy - all the bars full and we were able to mix and have a chat with the people from the other ship. A great way to end our day.

When we arrived in the Caribbean someone gave me a great tip - buy a postcard in each place you visit and write a diary on it each day. As we visited so many islands over the 2 weeks, we soon got mixed up but this was a great way to remember.

Nelsons Dockyard - I seem to remember we were there for about one and half hours - no charge to walk round. There are lots of little boats and some market type stalls and cafes. But it's lovely to walk around in the sun and I could have easily spent half a day wandering round.

If you pick up one of the shared taxis at the gate they will allow you as much time as you want at each place.

When we were dropped off at the end of the trip, our ship was docked next to another and the small town was very busy - all the bars full and we were able to mix and have a chat with the people from the other ship. A great way to end our day.

When we arrived in the Caribbean someone gave me a great tip - buy a postcard in each place you visit and write a diary on it each day. As we visited so many islands over the 2 weeks, we soon got mixed up but this was a great way to remember.

Brilliant idea, Dronnygirl. Thank you for sharing. I do buy a postcard or two in each port/excursion and even in the UK, but I never thought to make notes on the back!

buy a postcard in each place you visit and write a diary on it each day. As we visited so many islands over the 2 weeks, we soon got mixed up but this was a great way to remember.

this is a great tip :cool: I can never remember the names of the beaches/places we visit....or the prices of things (beer)...or even what we did sometimes :confused:

many thanks for sharing:cool:

What a beautiful picture geo. Looks very tempting! How would you rate it compared with Valley Church? (I think we've spoken about Valley Church before, so think you've been there.) Hopefully that will be one for the future. We love Antigua.

Yes dronnygirl that is a great suggestion. It's so easy to get the Islands and especially the beaches mixed up.

much of a muchness the beaches on antigua kruz...they are all beautiful...stunning

valley church is a bit of a hot spot so can get quite busy....i like it fine tho

ffryes is pretty much the same ...white sand..clear water with just a gentle slope....nice bar with free wifi, a deck/balcony and rest rooms at the back all set in a little garden (which is where there flowers came from... pic is taken from the deck where we enjoyed a lovely cup of tea) they were playing music in the bar but it wasnt loud

its down a dead end lane, no passing traffic, there is a small resort at the end of the lane, but there were only 2 other people on the beach on the day we went, they were the couple we shared a taxi with (a couple of families came in from the resort at lunch time for a seafood lunch) i think the resort must have its own beach around the headland? we occaisionally saw a few jet skis go by

its one of the nices beaches I have been to on antigua...no vendors

we arranged for the taxi guy to come back at 3pm and he was there on the dot

just a small word of warning tho...i noticed earthmovers on the little headland (which you can see in the pic) they may have just been clearing up after the storms they had a christmas?? or....the last time i noticed earthmovers near a beach? when i came back the following year there was a hotel there?

Edited by geomagot

much of a muchness the beaches on antigua kruz...they are all beautiful...stunning

valley church is a bit of a hot spot so can get quite busy....i like it fine tho

ffryes is pretty much the same ...white sand..clear water with just a gentle slope....nice bar with free wifi, a deck/balcony and rest rooms at the back all set in a little garden (which is where there flowers came from... pic is taken from the deck where we enjoyed a lovely cup of tea) they were playing music in the bar but it wasnt loud

its down a dead end lane, no passing traffic, there is a small resort at the end of the lane, but there were only 2 other people on the beach on the day we went, they were the couple we shared a taxi with (a couple of families came in from the resort at lunch time for a seafood lunch) i think the resort must have its own beach around the headland? we occaisionally saw a few jet skis go by

its one of the nices beaches I have been to on antigua...no vendors

we arranged for the taxi guy to come back at 3pm and he was there on the dot

just a small word of warning tho...i noticed earthmovers on the little headland (which you can see in the pic) they may have just been clearing up after the storms they had a christmas?? or....the last time i noticed earthmovers near a beach? when i came back the following year there was a hotel there?

Thanks for that geo :) - it's just that once you find a beach you love, it's hard to decide whether to take a punt on a different one or play safe. From what you've said though that sounds like the kind of beach we'd really love. Will file it away for future reference - but perhaps check on here to see if there have been any developments first.....:rolleyes:

What a beautiful picture geo. Looks very tempting! How would you rate it compared with Valley Church? (I think we've spoken about Valley Church before, so think you've been there.) Hopefully that will be one for the future. We love Antigua.

Yes dronnygirl that is a great suggestion. It's so easy to get the Islands and especially the beaches mixed up.

I love Valley Church and went on recommendations from here. However we didn't go along to the bar, sunbeds, and people :eek: just stayed on the beach in peace and quiet.......heaven.:):)