Dive In sauce

aqua

My guess is that it is a condiment that they have made for them, rather than something they make themselves - just like they would buy ketchup, salad dressings etc.

I H-A-T-E mustard, and while I could sense a bit of mustard in it, it wasnt enough to put me off having it on my burger. I would not call it mustard-based.

My guess is that it is a condiment that they have made for them, rather than something they make themselves - just like they would buy ketchup, salad dressings etc.

I H-A-T-E mustard, and while I could sense a bit of mustard in it, it wasnt enough to put me off having it on my burger. I would not call it mustard-based.

Thanks....... so, would you say it is more ketchup based (barbeque sauce) or mayonnaise based?

• 5 months later...

Well, I haven't had any Dive In fare yet, we will find out what that sauce tastes like when we are on the Veendam in May. But from what people are describing it sounds much like a Cajun Remoulade sauce that we had in New Orleans - creamy yet spicy with a hint of mustard and spice. Now I'm curious and look forward to trying it.

Lorie

I enjoyed the Dive In sauce myself - perhaps because it is so different than what we normally have on our burgers and fries at home.

Maybe I'm crazy :D but many of ya'll talk about the sauce being heavy in mustard and yellow. On the Eurodam 3 or so weeks ago, I could swear the sauce had more of a pink hue to it than yellow. :confused:

Here is a link with pictures and a recipe for Cajun Remoulade sauce, just for the heck of it.

http://www.food.com/recipe/cajun-remoulade-sauce-88576#http%3A//www.food.com%3A80/recipe/cajun-remoulade-sauce-88576?photo=312034&_suid=142792887595309457936271324704

If this link doesn't open, it is a recipe and pictures of Cajun Remoulade sauce on Food.com, easy to find if you're curious. Happy cruising!

Lorie

Edited by galensgrl

I must concur that it was more like a remoulade than a thousand island or Big Mac sauce. Not spicy to me and the chunks in it were not celery, that I could tell, but more like a finely diced red pepper and maybe onion--not a relish, either. Definitely mayo based and remoulade has some stone ground mustard in it, but this wasn't showing visible mustard seeds to me, so I would guess a milder mustard. That's how I would rebuild it.

It was good but not one i am straining to recreate, which is something I admit to doing with many foods. I often mix up a fast dipping sauce using some combo of mayo, bbq, spicy chili crisps, relish, mustard, hot sauce, etc. and am fine with variations.

Have fun trying it out at home.

It is very similar to Big Mac sauce. Recipes for that are all over the internet.

There is a video of the Exec Chef from McDonald's making it and it's really quite simple:

mayo, mustard, white Wine vinegar, sweet pickle relish, garlic powder, onion powder, and Paprika. I added about 2tsp of sugar and it was pretty much spot of.

If anyone wants the exact amounts PM me

Sugar in sauce on a burger? YUCK!

I thought the sauce just made the bun very soggy.

The sauce of mayo, mustard and sweet pickle relish had been in the my house for as long as I can remember. We put this on fried fish instead if tatar. But on a burger? No thanks.

It won't be until January aboard the Noordam, but I am anxious to try this.

But, it will not be on embarkation. I always enjoy the Mariner's Embarkation Luncheon even though there are many who do not.

This is our first HAL cruise, but we have cruised on Princess prior. We plan on going to the Mariner's Embarkation Luncheon. What are some of the reasons people don't like the luncheon? I thought most would because it's in the MDR and you can avoid the crowds in the LIDO.

I don't doubt your recipe for Big Mac sauce and though I haven't had a Big Mac in many years, I remember it being a mayonnaise/pickle more based sauce than mustard. There is mustard in it but that is not the primary flavor as I remember it. :confused:

Here is a link to Todd Wilbur's Top Secret Recipes 'copy cat' recipe for it. Most of his recipes are usually pretty close to the actual. :)

http://www.topsecretrecipes.com/McDonalds-Special-Sauce-Big-Mac-Sauce-Copycat-Recipe.html

S7S,

You never cease to amaze me with the breadth (and depth) of your knowledge/experience. Thank you for the Todd Wilbur link and also for your many insights and advice here on the CC HAL forum.

Regards and smooth sailing as you return to cruising,

Rod

Thanks, Frank.

I've actually gone to Copykat for years. I don't go often but from time to time and have gotten some good recipes there. :) What is interesting is how they are so careful to not post any of the other site's recipes.

... and again!!!

Rod

What are some of the reasons people don't like the luncheon? I thought most would because it's in the MDR and you can avoid the crowds in the LIDO.

It's too early in the day for me to eat lunch. When I have breakfast around 9:00 that morning, I'm not hungry at noon (or a little after).

It's too big a meal for lunch (for me).

If I were to eat lunch that early, I wouldn't be able to make it all the way to 8:00 dinner without starving.

I prefer to board and go to my cabin and unpack my carry-ons. I check out all the paperwork on the desk, and make sure the shore excursions, etc., are correct.

Then I do the necessary errands on the ship: go to Shore Excursions to confirm my mobility difficulties won't hinder me participating; go to the Pinnacle and book or confirm my reservations; book spa (if I'm doing that on that ship) and salon appointments.

By now it's time for lunch in the Lido. The crowds have dissipated, but the food is still being served. It's easy to find a place to sit! :) And I can choose from a more extensive menu, in the amounts I want.

By the time I'm finished eating, my luggage has usually been delivered, and I can unpack before muster.

It works for me.

It's too early in the day for me to eat lunch. When I have breakfast around 9:00 that morning, I'm not hungry at noon (or a little after).

It's too big a meal for lunch (for me).

If I were to eat lunch that early, I wouldn't be able to make it all the way to 8:00 dinner without starving.

I prefer to board and go to my cabin and unpack my carry-ons. I check out all the paperwork on the desk, and make sure the shore excursions, etc., are correct.

Then I do the necessary errands on the ship: go to Shore Excursions to confirm my mobility difficulties won't hinder me participating; go to the Pinnacle and book or confirm my reservations; book spa (if I'm doing that on that ship) and salon appointments.

By now it's time for lunch in the Lido. The crowds have dissipated, but the food is still being served. It's easy to find a place to sit! :) And I can choose from a more extensive menu, in the amounts I want.

By the time I'm finished eating, my luggage has usually been delivered, and I can unpack before muster.

It works for me.

We are not used to our cabin being ready when we board, so we have ended up schlepping through the ship for a couple of hours with carry ons, trying to make it through lunch at the Lido first because there's nothing else to do yet. It was really inconvenient to wait a few hours for access to the cabin. But I like your plan, Ruth. It will be nice to drop our carry on baggage, refresh first, book the spa and check dinner reservations, then head to lunch unemcumbered.

Lorie

We are not used to our cabin being ready when we board, so we have ended up schlepping through the ship for a couple of hours with carry ons, trying to make it through lunch at the Lido first because there's nothing else to do yet.

There was a fairly brief period (2-3 years?) about 10 years ago when HAL had started early boarding for passengers, but the cabins weren't ready until about 1:00-1:30. Many passengers were seen dragging their carry-ons behind them.

But even then, HAL did provide a secure location where passengers could leave their things while they ate, toured the ship, and waited for the cabins to be ready. There was no need for the schlepping.

First time we tried it we thought ok. Second time a little bit goes a long way. Give me good old ketchup and spicy brown mustard. Fries are darn good tho as are the burgers and dogs. Just to much bread with the buns. :D

• 5 months later...
In an earlier post someone mentioned the sauce having relish in it. I was looking forward to trying the sauce on our cruise but won't if it has relish in it. Tell me it isn't so. :(

Apparently (according to my online searches because I've never been on HAL), it is mayo, mustard, ketchup and relish blended. Sounds like Big Mac special sauce. Someone who posted near your original post said they were cruising soon and were good with isolating ingredients. Maybe s/he will see this thread is still active and report back!

Apparently (according to my online searches because I've never been on HAL), it is mayo, mustard, ketchup and relish blended. Sounds like Big Mac special sauce. Someone who posted near your original post said they were cruising soon and were good with isolating ingredients. Maybe s/he will see this thread is still active and report back!

Oops, I mistook you for OP. near OP's original post.