Roll Call Question

travelmatron

When we cruised on HAL and there was a quiet roll call people would say (with their tongue firmly in their cheek) either that HAL cruisers were so old they didn't know how to use a computer or that they were so sophisticated they didn't need/want to talk to others on their cruise. Our upcoming cruise on the Jewel has a really quiet roll call and I'm wondering; Is there a running joke or explanation for that on this board?

We don't participate in roll calls unless it's places we haven't been ie: Europe.

Don't feel the need for Carib or Alaska as we've done these a dozen times plus we don't care for pub crawl, cabin crawl, slot pull and the $10 gift exchange takes me back to grade school days.

I miss having a "safe place" to ask my really stupid questions, and since we haven't cruised in several years, and never on the Jewel I have a bunch of stupid questions.
NCL cruisers are very good at giving advice, so don't be afraid of asking for help on this board. No question is stupid; we were all new sometime. Edited by Cruise_More_Often

I miss having a "safe place" to ask my really stupid questions, and since we haven't cruised in several years, and never on the Jewel I have a bunch of stupid questions.

I have not been on The Jewel in awhile, but I am more than happy to answer questions, if I know the answers, so ask away.

We've had a mix of super active and completely dead roll calls. It's never been indicative of how much (or little) fun we'd have once on board.

As the others have said, ask away!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

When we cruised on HAL and there was a quiet roll call people would say (with their tongue firmly in their cheek) either that HAL cruisers were so old they didn't know how to use a computer or that they were so sophisticated they didn't need/want to talk to others on their cruise. Our upcoming cruise on the Jewel has a really quiet roll call and I'm wondering; Is there a running joke or explanation for that on this board?

You want an active roll call? Make it active. I am running my upcoming cruise roll call and I am having a hard time to get the people to sign up for the activities. I post updates all the time, I try to encourage them to give me their own ideas, but it seems is a very family oriented cruise at that time, so a lot of families and kids, which is ok. So if you have any ideas or anything you would like to do, just post it in your roll call and see what the others have to say. Do not wait for the coordinator to say what should be done. Is any place or excursion you would like to go at any of the ports and you wanna go with others? Maybe post it there and you can get a group to go with. Sometimes people ask about places or things to do, if you know the answer or can find it for them, do it and the same for you, if is anything you would like to know, ask, most of the times you will find a lot of returning cruisers that know about it.

The most popular activities in a roll call are of course the meet and greet meeting, lunch on embarkation day, sail away party, slot pull, martini or wine tasting, bowling and icebar ( on the ships that have them), lunch last sea day, cabin crawl, gift exchange.

Either way, have fun and enjoy your cruise.

I coordinated one for our February 2014 cruise and had almost 90 people signed up and almost 80 showed up for the meet and greet. We didn't do anything on board but show up for the meet and greet and visit with each other and the officers present. But there was a lot of info shared on our roll call before the cruise.

This year I'm coordinating one for a January 2015 cruise and only have 14 people so far signed up. I'm expecting it to pick up as it gets closer but if it doesn't, we'll just enjoy the smaller group.

I agree with the previous posters, put your questions out there and see if anybody responds. If not, this board will be glad to help you out.

Travelmatron: Bayport. Shopping. Kind of an oxymoron. Not much in the immediate area.

What do you need to find? I grew up in the area and maybe can help.

Thanks for the help offer! We hope to travel with just carry on luggage so we'll need liquids we can't fly with; sun screen' date=' conditioner, caffeine free Cokes, tonic water...that sort of stuff. BTW, NCL question: We can bring soda on board can't we? [/color']

I sail in just a week and my roll call is really quiet. I don't know how you make a roll call more active--people either post or they don't. I've posted several times asking about group excursions and what people's plans are. Crickets. Every roll call I've ever participated in has been really active until this one. It's so quiet, I'm actually going on a tour with a group from the Royal Caribbean ship that will be in one of the ports the same day we are (I ventured over to their roll call :D).

This is my first NCL cruise so my first experience on the NCL board and people have been really great answering my questions. :D

It's so quiet, I'm actually going on a tour with a group from the Royal Caribbean ship that will be in one of the ports the same day we are (I ventured over to their roll call :D).

That was a creative solution to the quiet roll call problem ! :)

Some roll calls are more active when folks get together for excursions- foreign travel especially. Others are more active for those without families who like to socialize and party- if it is school holidays you may see less activity. Sometimes it just comes down to how soon you are cruising. If it is a few months before you cruise, then it might just be slow. But if you have a while to go, just keep checking back, it could pick up. I have checked out all of my roll calls some I have joined in and some not. It really comes down to itinerary. And remember if this one never takes off it doesn't mean the next one won't- it has nothing to do with the cruise line.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Forums mobile app

That was a creative solution to the quiet roll call problem ! :)

I had to do something! LOL. I'm traveling solo and the tour guides I contacted told me I had to get a group together and with such a quiet roll call, I knew that wasn't going to happen. So, I checked to see what other ships are in port the same day and the RCCL ship had an active roll call with several tours planned, including the exact tour I wanted to take in that port. They get there an hour before we do, but they're a nice group and seemed happy to delay the tour by an hour so I could join. Another party from my roll call is also joining us, so we filled up their tour, resutling in a very reasonabls per person price so it was a win-win. :D

I had to do something! LOL. I'm traveling solo and the tour guides I contacted told me I had to get a group together and with such a quiet roll call, I knew that wasn't going to happen. So, I checked to see what other ships are in port the same day and the RCCL ship had an active roll call with several tours planned, including the exact tour I wanted to take in that port. They get there an hour before we do, but they're a nice group and seemed happy to delay the tour by an hour so I could join. Another party from my roll call is also joining us, so we filled up their tour, resutling in a very reasonabls per person price so it was a win-win. :D

Great idea, looks like Carnival Glory is in every port we visit in December. When we're in Belize both RRCL and Celebrity will also be in port. I had checked the other lines to see if their roll calls were more active, since we're going at a slow travel time, but never thought of just joining in. DUH

Great idea, looks like Carnival Glory is in every port we visit in December. When we're in Belize both RRCL and Celebrity will also be in port. I had checked the other lines to see if their roll calls were more active, since we're going at a slow travel time, but never thought of just joining in. DUH

LOL. I just read through some of their recent posts and saw they still had spaces available on the very tour I wanted to go on. So, I was very apologetic about interrupting their roll call and simply posted that my roll call was quiet and I'd love to join the tour if they wouldn't mind an interloper. I was fortunate that they were willing to delay the start time of their tour. There are now five from our ship joining up with five or six from theirs. I'll have to remember this for future cruises if the need arises again.

I have been on a lot of independent excursions where multiple ships are together. You can even contact the operator and they will arrange to put you with another ship's group. Very common.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Forums mobile app

I was on the Jewel for Christmas of 2013 (very large and active roll call) and will be on her again this Thanksgiving. This roll call isn't large but it's pretty active for the small number. We're kinda lucky in that one of our participants is cruising in a GV and offered his suite for our M&G. Honestly, this is the only way I'm going to see one of those (unless there's one on a cabin crawl in the future - there wasn't in the past) and we are very grateful.

It helps to remember that CC members only make up 2% of the cruising public. There may not be very many CCers on all cruises.