Leaving Balcony Doors open at Night ?

Pennbank

Ray66 posted a pcture of a door sticker, previously in this thread. It read:

"To maintain a comfortable climate in your stateroom please keep you balcony door closed."

which is not at all the same as "doors must not be left open".

The sticker (although I have never seen one) makes sense. If it is very hot or very cold, your room will be very hot or very cold, if you leave your door open. If the weather is lovely outside and you leave your door open, your room will be lovely inside.

As much as I love the sea, I am from Seattle where it is almost always quite temperate and can't stand much heat or cold (except when I am bundles up to ski) so it would never occur to me to keep my door open when temperatures aren't lovely. Fortunately, temperatures have almost always been lovely on all of our cruises.

I've finally realised the point of your posts. It's to wind us up, or to translate into American, make silly comments to annoy us.

See Punki? This is what we get because we can't discuss rum runners in the Cunard section.

:D :D

Maybe we should. I am sure there are people who don't realize that you can use rum runners on Cunard, and am equally sure that there are also people who actually use them. ;)

vannerhawk writes:

I've finally realised the point of your posts. It's to wind us up, or to translate into American, make silly comments to annoy us.

It would never occur to me that anyone would actually allow themself to be annoyed by anything on an internet bulletin board, but I do hope I sometimes make you smile. I approach almost everything in life with a sense of humor, so try to interpret my posts with that in mind. ;)

:D :D

Maybe we should. I am sure there are people who don't realize that you can use rum runners on Cunard, and am equally sure that there are also people who actually use them... ;)

Given the Cunard demographic you're a lot more likely to find colostomy bags than rum runners :eek:

J

I often wonder about Leaving the Balcony door open at night ? Is it fair to other passengers ? Who has not heard the whistling noise, this action can make, with the flow of air/wind blowing underneath the Main passenger Stateroom door into the Corridor. I Have had to sometimes place a rolled up towel on the corridor floor outside the stateroom that has their balcony door open to stop the annoying whistling noise at night time.

Any one else suffered ?

How can it possibly be a trip Hazard. Your More likely to trip over the trays left outside in the hallway. All stumble down one of the sink holes ! :rolleyes:

If you make a comment like that, then you are not aware of the problems seniors, sight and mobility challenged passengers have, shuffling along.

I wish your conscience well when someone falls over your artfully placed towel, that is if a steward hasn't already removed it during the night.

Edited by Victoria2

If you make a comment like that, then you are not aware of the problems seniors, sight and mobility challenged passengers have, shuffling along.

I wish your conscience well when someone falls over your artfully placed towel, that is if a steward hasn't already removed it during the night.

:rolleyes:

As I said previously, you are more likely to fall over the empty trays/Glasses/crockery etc placed outside the staterooms then falling over a piece of cloth.

The towel would not be a trip hazard to the offending cabin occupier anyway, unfortunately.

In case you have never stepped foot on a Cunard ship, The entrance to Staterooms have a very small recess just before the door and metal carpet bar. So no one would be walking in that particular area except to enter or leave that stateroom !

Why do persons always bring up Health and Safety in conversation with something they disagree with. :eek:

(Picture courtesy of http://www.seat61.com/queen-mary-2-transatlantic.htm)

I am shuffling off to empty my colostomy bag once I have found my stick !

qm2-cabin-corridor.jpg.4ad1c0eeefc1e43af73387de9ff66ba5.jpg

Edited by Pennbank

:rolleyes:

As I said previously, you are more likely to fall over the empty trays/Glasses/crockery etc placed outside the staterooms then falling over a piece of cloth.

The towel would not be a trip hazard to the offending cabin occupier anyway, unfortunately.

In case you have never stepped foot on a Cunard ship, The entrance to Staterooms have a very small recess just before the door and metal carpet bar. So no one would be walking in that particular area except to enter or leave that stateroom !

Why do persons always bring up Health and Safety in conversation with something they disagree with. :eek:

(Picture courtesy of http://www.seat61.com/queen-mary-2-transatlantic.htm)

I am shuffling off to empty my colostomy bag once I have found my stick !

I have had the odd cruise or two on a Cunard ship

You obviously have no idea of the problems those with sight or mobility problems face on a daily basis.

Why do people who can't see they're ignoring a potential problem because it doesn't suit their point of view always put the onus of 'blame' on others.

I do hope Cunard have CCTV in their corridors and I look forward to your explanation of why a towel, placed by yourself, at the door of another's cabin does not constitute a trip hazard if someone [the occupant] has the misfortune to not expect its presence and trips over it.

Edited by Victoria2
the occupant

I have had the odd cruise or two on a Cunard ship

You obviously have no idea of the problems those with sight or mobility problems face on a daily basis.

Why do people who can't see they're ignoring a potential problem because it doesn't suit their point of view always put the onus of 'blame' on others.

I do hope Cunard have CCTV in their corridors and I look forward to your explanation of why a towel, placed by yourself, at the door of another's cabin does not constitute a trip hazard if someone [the occupant] has the misfortune to not expect its presence and trips over it.

Victoria, I agree with you: a rolled up towel surreptitiously placed by a passenger in front of another passenger's cabin door is a tripping hazard. It never occurred to me that someone would place a bobby trap in front of another passenger's cabin door until I read this thread.

But then again, I know leaving the balcony door open creates a howling effect up and down the corridor. For those who are compelled to leave their balcony doors open, placing a rolled up towel inside their cabin (and another towel placed by the an adjoining cabin door, should they have an adjoining cabin) somewhat alleviates the howling noise, but not all the effects of leaving the balcony door open.

Of course, all of this a non-issue if passengers kept their balcony door closed whenever possible.

-S.

Victoria, I agree with you: a rolled up towel surreptitiously placed by a passenger in front of another passenger's cabin door is a tripping hazard. It never occurred to me that someone would place a bobby trap in front of another passenger's cabin door until I read this thread.

But then again, I know leaving the balcony door open creates a howling effect up and down the corridor. For those who are compelled to leave their balcony doors open, placing a rolled up towel inside their cabin (and another towel placed by the an adjoining cabin door, should they have an adjoining cabin) somewhat alleviates the howling noise, but not all the effects of leaving the balcony door open.

Of course, all of this a non-issue if passengers kept their balcony door closed whenever possible.

-S.

Not only a howling effect but an air stream as well, which could be dangerous in a fire situation, causing a fire to spread. Yes Ships do have fire doors but only in sections,

We should all know that if we are in a fire situation at home and cannot get out and stuck in a room that you should place a rolled up towel at the base of the door to prevent the fire/smoke from spreading.

I would rather risk stopping the air flow/howling noise with a towel thus preventing the annoying noise and preventing against a possible fire spread because some one has decided to be selfish by allowing extra ventilation into the corridor without realising.

When fires occur on ships the Air control is controlled by the bridge to manage the fire , however the bridge have no control over passengers who decide to leave their balcony door open which can cause extra draft which could cause a fire to spread.

Leaving Balcony Doors open, not only can cause annoyance to other passengers by the noise the air flow can make but can also kill !

Edited by Pennbank

. For those who are compelled to leave their balcony doors open, placing a rolled up towel inside their cabin (and another towel placed by the an adjoining cabin door, should they have an adjoining cabin) somewhat alleviates the howling noise,

-S.

Yes, but passengers who leave balcony doors open are not likely to be bothered any of the consequences.

David.

-S.

A booby trap. Excellent description Salacia and like you, it wouldn't occur to me either. I was astonished when I read about it.

Although Pennbank has doubts about my Cunard history, seemingly due to his inability to see a towel as a trip hazard to a cabin occupant, I don't doubt him when he describes the noise, even though I have had no experience of a howling noise under an adjacent cabin door.

As you say, if the doors were closed as much as possible, this problem wouldn't occur, but as they are obviously open, the rolled up towel in their OWN cabin is a near perfect answer. Unfortunately, the cabin occupants are probably unaware of the problem they are causing. Maybe when Pennbank has made the hotel staff aware, [and whatever the time of day or night, I would go and grab the nearest steward, complain at the front desk, phone maintenance and make myself generally a pest until someone had been up to hear the noise] they in turn could 'have a word' and a solution found which suits both parties.

I go with the 'doors closed' notice as being an instruction, couched in polite Cunard speak, rather than a 'take it or leave it' advisory. If it's that important to the well being of the ship and passengers, maybe they need to ditch the polite stuff and come straight out with it.

What about the challenge to the rest of us when the 'mobility challenged' leave their mobility scooters in the corridors. Surely this is a bigger 'elf and safety problem' in an emergency than a towel?

What about the challenge to the rest of us when the 'mobility challenged' leave their mobility scooters in the corridors. Surely this is a bigger 'elf and safety problem' in an emergency than a towel?

Used to be but Cunard has stopped it and you never see them in corridors now.

All wheel chairs have to be stored in cabin.

As to meal trays, I have never seen them placed across the doorways and you would need to be trying to trip if they are placed against the corridor bulkhead.

David.

I have heard and read numerous announcements on both Princess and Cunard requesting that mobility devices not be left in the hallways. As a matter of fact, I remember once such announcement that said that any mobility devices left in hallways will be removed for safety reasons.

See, I really do listen to and read the safety announcements. I have just never seen or heard any safety announcements relating to open balcony doors or drying clothes on the balcony.

You learn something new here all the time. I've been on 3 crossings and never heard about leaving the door closed. I went back and read all the daily programmes and they say nothing about the door. I remember the hallways whistling, but never gave it a second thought. I figure that was normal for a ship travelling 20 knots. You couldn't hear it in the cabins.

Each night we would take one of our sofa cushions and use it to prop open the balcony door about a foot. We would get fresh air, hear the sea and also sometimes hear the fog horn. A few times the cabin steward would be in our room and he/she never said anything about the door. I never saw a sign or note or placard that said not to leave it open.

Now I read it's bad. Bad for neighbors, bad for the ship, bad for the A/C and bad for people who post here on CC.

I find it hard to believe that something this important (based on these comments) has been left off the programmes and cabin doors. But I promise that the next time I am on the QM2 (hopefully in 2015) I will (1) look for signs; and (2) ask the cabin steward. And more important, I will do what they say.

I find it hard to believe that something this important (based on these comments) has been left off the programmes and cabin doors. But I promise that the next time I am on the QM2 (hopefully in 2015) I will (1) look for signs; and (2) ask the cabin steward. And more important, I will do what they say.

It might be better to ask at the Purser's desk. You could find that your cabin steward will tell you what he THINKS you want to hear, in the hope that it will influence the tip. ;) I've come across answers like that before - though mainly in Egypt inside an ancient monument.

I have taken to carrying a self stick bottom of the door seal. The sort used for cold temperature insulation of doors. So, If I choose to open my door to the balcony, it does not make a howl down the corridor. And I just pull it off at the end of the cruise.

I have taken to carrying a self stick bottom of the door seal. The sort used for cold temperature insulation of doors. So, If I choose to open my door to the balcony, it does not make a howl down the corridor. And I just pull it off at the end of the cruise.

Why do I keep thinking of potential Monty Python skits?:eek:

A booby trap. Excellent description Salacia and like you, it wouldn't occur to me either. I was astonished when I read about it.

Although Pennbank has doubts about my Cunard history, seemingly due to his inability to see a towel as a trip hazard to a cabin occupant, I don't doubt him when he describes the noise, even though I have had no experience of a howling noise under an adjacent cabin door.

As you say, if the doors were closed as much as possible, this problem wouldn't occur, but as they are obviously open, the rolled up towel in their OWN cabin is a near perfect answer. Unfortunately, the cabin occupants are probably unaware of the problem they are causing. Maybe when Pennbank has made the hotel staff aware, [and whatever the time of day or night, I would go and grab the nearest steward, complain at the front desk, phone maintenance and make myself generally a pest until someone had been up to hear the noise] they in turn could 'have a word' and a solution found which suits both parties.

I go with the 'doors closed' notice as being an instruction, couched in polite Cunard speak, rather than a 'take it or leave it' advisory. If it's that important to the well being of the ship and passengers, maybe they need to ditch the polite stuff and come straight out with it.

Hi Victoria2. Just based on my own experience, whether or not the howling noise heard in the corridors is also heard in the cabins depends on how many passengers leave their balcony door open. On warm weather cruises, it is more common.

Again, just based on my own experience - there can be good reason to leave the balcony door ajar. Forgive me for repeating this story (related on a previous thread)...

We returned to our cabin (QM2 Britannia Balcony) late one night and found the cabin filled with a noxious odor which seemed to be coming from the air filtration system in the bathroom. (That loo had been unoccupied for hours, so it wasn't the result of any personal use.)

Perhaps we should have called to the Pursar Desk, but it was so late at night that we looked for an alternative solution. Placing a cushion in the balcony door allowed for an exchange of fresh air. (And yes, we did place a rolled up pool towel at the inside foot of our cabin door to prevent howling.) A few hours later (6am) we found our cabin steward on duty and alerted him to the problem.

By the time we returned from lunch, the repair crew was just finishing up repairs. Problem solved, but I did leave the balcony door open for hours - perhaps, in retrospect, not the best decision. Anyway I do understand why passengers might feel compelled to leave their balcony door open in certain circumstances, and why Cunard might be reluctant to order balcony doors be kept closed. -S.

Edited by Salacia

The chicane of buggies and scooters used to be quite an issue for those of us lucky enough to be fully mobile, never mind those not so, I agree, but luckily, they are banned from the corridors now.

Hi Victoria2. Just based on my own experience, whether or not the howling noise heard in the corridors is also heard in the cabins depends on how many passengers leave their balcony door open. On warm weather cruises, it is more common.

Again, just based on my own experience - there can be good reason to leave the balcony door ajar. Forgive me for repeating this story (related on a previous thread)...

We returned to our cabin (QM2 Britannia Balcony) late one night and found the cabin filled with a noxious odor which seemed to be coming from the air filtration system in the bathroom. (That loo had been unoccupied for hours, so it wasn't the result of any personal use.)

Perhaps we should have called to the Pursar Desk, but it was so late at night that we looked for an alternative solution. Placing a cushion in the balcony door allowed for an exchange of fresh air. (And yes, we did place a rolled up pool towel at the inside foot of our cabin door to prevent howling.) A few hours later (6am) we found our cabin steward on duty and alerted him to the problem.

By the time we returned from lunch, the repair crew was just finishing up repairs. Problem solved, but I did leave the balcony door open for hours - perhaps, in retrospect, not the best decision. Anyway I do understand why passengers might feel compelled to leave their balcony door open in certain circumstances, and why Cunard might be reluctant to order balcony doors be kept closed. -S.

Having had odor issues in our cabins in the past, I'd say it's a natural reaction to open the balcony door to access fresh air until the noxious smell has gone.

I have had a balcony cabin in all of my cruises but 4. I'm shocked how many people keep their doors open all night.

We learned from the start this was frowned about. I've never ever left my Balcony door open..day or night.

I have however, brought my own rug to put out on the balcony, when I am out there.

See pic. :)

984952369_starboard.jpg.2923698210f647d920a1785501de617f.jpg

I have had a balcony cabin in all of my cruises but 4. I'm shocked how many people keep their doors open all night.

We learned from the start this was frowned about. I've never ever left my Balcony door open..day or night.

I have however, brought my own rug to put out on the balcony, when I am out there. See pic. :)

I don't quite understand. A Rug? for what purpose?