Figuring out the best way to see east side, ruins, and maybe Mr. Sanchos

adverb

Since it's my BF's first time in Cozumel, he wants to do a lot of different things. We both want to see the East Side, he wants to see the ruins, I want to do the fish spa thing at Mr. Sanchos, and he also wants to do a tequila tasting.

I was thinking the best thing to do was rent a car but are there any automatic transmissions? I don't know how comfortable I or my BF feel driving a manual.

I was also thinking of taking a taxi around the island, but I didn't want it to cost too much.

I looked at the Cozumel Bar Hop. I saw it got good reviews, but it is very bar focused and if we did that we wouldn't really have time for any of the other stuff, right? Also, food is not included so that will add to the cost. I was also thinking if we had our own excursion we could just go to one or two of the bars and stay as long as we wanted.

Any advice? We will be docking out of Punta Langosta.

Edited by adverb

Well, that seems like a lot a stuff for 1 day in Cozumel, i would pre-book Mr Sanchos, you can go to Cozumel watersports dot com and make a reservation, and pay with pay pal, get off ship, walk through shopping area, down the steps and you will see all the cabs lined up, grab one and just say Mr sanchos, go there first, (you may not want to leave) :) , on the way you will pass Jose Cuervo on the left side of road, (look for it), your cabbie will stop on way back if you want, also there is a Margaritaville you will pass, (that is where we get dropped off) .. we are going to Nachi Cocum this time in November and will stop at Margaritaville on way back, then there are alot of vendors from there to ship ....:) also at mr sanchos you can ride 4 wheelers, horses, para-sail, and snorkel

I think you are packing too much into one day - Mr. S is supposed to be a relaxing day at the beach plus spa time. I would talk to a driver to see the ruins (does not take long) and then spend the rest of your day at Mr. S and save the east side for your "honeymoon" cruise! :rolleyes:

I agree with others. Go to Mr Sanchos for the day.

Tell your BF that going to San Gervasio ruins is a bad idea - Mayan women used to go there to worship the goddess of fertility and you might get PG if you go! LOL

Just to clarify I'm thinking of doing the fish spa thing at Mr. Sanchos. I don't really need to spend the whole day there.

Was thinking of doing a couple restaurants on the east side like Coconuts and Playa Bonita.

I'm not too jazzed about the ruins. Trying to talk the BF out of it honestly lol.

So I've convinced my boyfriend that ruins are overrated, but he wanted to still "stop by and see if we could take pictures". Is that even worth it or is it really out of our way? I'm figuring you gotta pay to get anywhere.

So I've convinced my boyfriend that ruins are overrated, but he wanted to still "stop by and see if we could take pictures". Is that even worth it or is it really out of our way? I'm figuring you gotta pay to get anywhere.

Taxi fares are regulated on Cozumel and prices are posted at all the piers. You should always check rate and agree price before entering vehicle. Each taxi is required to carry a tariff card which they should show on request. Here is a chart for official fares from Punta Langosta to main tourist places and some tour rates at the bottom, including San Gervasio with waiting. You cannot rely on having a taxi to return form here if you do one way. You could negotiate more hours and you can see at the bottom rate for island tour and ruins..

http://www.cozumelinsider.com/TAXILANGOSTA

It is going to cost about $10pp to view the ruins. Quick and easy to view the main plaza, longer (1 hour) if you want to do the jungle walk to outlying buildings. Interesting diversion for the day but not an absolute must do for first visit, (very small) and don't forget bug spray and water.

Alternatively you can reserve a driver in advance as discussed on the ‘Hiring a driver for a day’ thread. We have reserved ToursPlaza many times and then you have a designated driver who will stop and start to customize your day. We have also enjoyed the Bar Hop.

Here is a good map to get you orientated.

http://www.si-mexico.com/city_maps/cozumel_area_map.htm

The "usual" beginners tour is a clockwise, or anti-clockwise, tour of the island. You can see from the map that the ruins (san Gervasio) are located off the road crossing the island, so not out of your way but will cut down on your time. You can then continue to the east side, turn south passing Punta Morena, Coconuts (between Morena and Chen Rio), photo stop El Mirador, Rastas at the southern tip and then round and back up passed all the southern beach bars, including Mr Sanchos on west coast. If you get a taxi to drop you off there easy to get a taxi back to pier when you are ready.

For an excellent pictorial review of places visited on Bar Hop google Zydecocruiser Cozumel Bar hop.

Various options for Tequila tasting but would depend on your time constraints.

The BEST map on the market for Cozumel is here: http://www.cancunmap.com

order it! The couple who do it visit every place on the map, there are restaurant menus, rates, telephone numbers, prices of everything. Really really helpful for anyone visiting Cozumel. I have been going to Cozumel for 14 years and I am on my 4th map - every time they update I buy a new one.

Thanks C-Leg. We found a taxi driver who would do $20/hr for 4-5 hours of driving if we wanted to go to the East Side. He would also throw Mr. Sancho's in there and a stop at the ruins. We're deciding between that and doing the Bar Hop w/ Mr. Sancho's after. I feel like we would get more time doing a taxi on our own but wouldn't get the "group effect". So.. I don't know. Heard good things about the Bar Hop, just having a hard time justifying the price and cutting the schedule so close :-/

Thanks C-Leg. We found a taxi driver who would do $20/hr for 4-5 hours of driving if we wanted to go to the East Side. He would also throw Mr. Sancho's in there and a stop at the ruins. We're deciding between that and doing the Bar Hop w/ Mr. Sancho's after. I feel like we would get more time doing a taxi on our own but wouldn't get the "group effect". So.. I don't know. Heard good things about the Bar Hop, just having a hard time justifying the price and cutting the schedule so close :-/

That sounds in keeping with the rate posted of $90 for island tour and ruins, (although I have to say it is a very good rate if you have an assigned driver arranged in advance, who has a permit from the taxi Union to do a tour and pick you up at the pier). Do come back and give a review if you decide to go that route.

As I said we have done both the bar hop and private driver several times and enjoyed both for different reasons. You are right the bar hop is fun because you are with a group but it is not as flexible. I really think you would be pushing it trying to do it and get back to Sanchos.

By the way, have you actually confirmed the hop returns at 3pm the day you are in port because the times vary depending on what ships are in port on any given day?If it is in fact correct, and you do decide to try and do both, the bar hop bus usually drops off at each pier on return so if there are any Carnival "hoppers" I would suggest you get off at Puerta Maya to save some time.

Yeah that's what the bar hop people told us directly.

Ugh I am reading it will be an 80% chance of rain in cozumel the day we are there. So now I am thinking of skipping the east side altogether. Will it really be that much fun in the rain?

The fish spa at mr. Sanchos is indoors so that's not a problem. If we skipped the east side, was also thinking of doing the chocolate factory. In that case we wouldn't need a private taxi.

Please give a review of the taxi, I will be going over summer w 2 kids who have never been and would like to show them some ruins and some play, thinking Mr S, but Im so undecided yet....Chocolate factory!!???? I need to hear more about this!!

thanks for the map to order...I will wait till 2015 to order it in case it updates.

Ugh I am reading it will be an 80% chance of rain in cozumel the day we are there. So now I am thinking of skipping the east side altogether. Will it really be that much fun in the rain?

An 80% chance of rain at this time of the year usually means (a) there is a large storm and your port visit will be cancelled, or (b) there will be a 10 minute thunderstorm about sunset.

Good luck and let us know how it all works out. :)

I was thinking the best thing to do was rent a car but are there any automatic transmissions? I don't know how comfortable I or my BF feel driving a manual.

I was also thinking if we had our own excursion we could just go to one or two of the bars and stay as long as we wanted.

Any advice? We will be docking out of Punta Langosta.

I have rented a vehicle several times in Cozumel and yes they have automatic transmission vehicles but with your interests in bar hopping and tequila tasting, I would not recommend renting a car if you want to participate in the drinking.

• 2 weeks later...

Would you be willing to share contact info for this driver? My parents are looking for a driver for the day. Thanks.