first time in an inside cabin...what to expect

tripman

I have been on several cruises in the past few years, all with a balcony. I will be in an inside cabin next year for the first time. I will not be disappointed because a cruise is a cruise. But is it difficult to go from a balcony to an inside room?

I have been in an inside cabin once. That is all it took. We enjoy our cabin and balcony on our cruise very much. To us, it is as important as the food, service and entertainment. If possible, go ahead and book your balcony. If not, then you will be able to decide for yourself if an inside will ever be booked again. For us, no way!!!

No way for us, either. We'd just rather not go. Lots of people, however, love them. They're less expensive, and if you plan to be out on deck or around the ship and not in your cabin except to sleep and shower, then it's a real deal.

I stayed in an inside cabin for six cruises. Then on the 7th cruise I went to a balcony. I am now going on my llth cruise. As long as I stayed with the inside cabin, I did not know what I was missing. Once I went to the balcony, I could no longer go in an inside cabin.

Tripman,

I have been in balconies when I was married. After I became a single, I have booked inside cabins. They really are not bad at all. Yes, a balcony room is better but aside from having no window, you do not know you are in an inside cabin. The curtains are pulled across to like they are covering a window. I had a friend in my cabin on one cruise and she said later she didn't realize it was an inside cabin. There is a big difference from a balcony to an inside but not much difference at all from an outside cabin to an inside cabin. Hope this helps. Feel free to ask any questions. Adele

Hi,

After sailing with my Dad a few times in balcony cabins/suites, I was stuck in an inside cabin on the main deck of the Zuiderdam . It was a large inside, very spacious and I really loved how dark it was at night. Balcony cabins are never really dark enough, drapes or no drapes.

I found myself up on deck a lot more, but I met a lot of other people and had a really good time. I had a favorite chaise lounge on the promenade and would take my coffee out there in the a.m. and read the daily events paper.

I love a balcony, but if it means I get to cruise more often, I'll take an inside any day!

Happy sailing!

mrsraggy

We usually book an inside cabin. 4 times in a row we were upgraded to an outside cabin. The first time we were thrilled, each following times we weren't as excited that it kind of was expected. Our last 2 cruises we didn't get an upgrade and were back in an inside cabin. It is really what your expectations are when you get on the ship. No it is not as nice as having a window. Do I feel closed in? No, you can turn on your TV and see what is going on outside. I would rather go more often and have an inside. Think of it. that it is evening and you have already closed your drapes.

Our first few cruises (back in the 70's) we always booked the least expensive room or said we wouldn't go. We were always accomadated and were usually upgraded to an inside on a higher deck. On about the third cruise we were booked to an outside room. We really loved the portholes. In those days, since an outside room was only $100 more for a 2 week cruise, we started booking the cheapest outside and loved it. Once we had a window instead of a port hole we had to start booking an outside with a window. We didn't have our first balcony until last year on a Hawaiian cruise and we totally enjoyed it and have now booked a balcony for our next cruise. BUT... I would still book an inside room and enjoy any cruise. We always found the inside rooms to be a bit larger (at least in the old days... our first cruise was inside on the Prinsendam and our room was twice as big as my parents had in an outside so all the pre-dinner parties were held in our room) :D

It's true that you spend more time out and about and, actually, that's a lot of fun. The idea, as mentioned above, of having your morning coffee in a nice teak deck chair on the promenade deck is just wonderful. Especially if it's a bit chilly and the deck steward brings you a blanket. Ahhh the good old days. :D No matter where your room is.... enjoy your life.. after all, what difference does a balcony make in the larger scheme of things. O.K. all you balcony lovers, don't flame me for that one. To each his/her own. Happy sails to all.

Well, we aren't really downgrading. A family member is paying for everyone (20 some people) as a celebration. So of course I'm extremely greatful and wouldn't even think for a second about it being bad. But when taking that many people, you have to go as economical as you can, and i completely and totally understand that.

I got to love cruising from an inside cabin. We did not think that it mattered so much. I just never knew what time of day it was and my wristwatch is impossible to see in the dark. Then the cruise lines started to add TV's with bridge cams to the cabins -- so I could leave my TV on at night and know when the sun came up (DH was not too happy with that one)

It was not that many cruises ago that we finally decided we would always try to do a minimum category outside. Then our TA hooked us with our first balcony......oh, we are now sooooo hooked on them.

Quite honestly, however, if I was cruising Europe, port intensive with long days off the ship, an inside would be just fine with me. More cruises for less money. If I am on a ship that spends many days at sea, or with scenic cruising like Alaska, then I would like a window.

However you cruise being on a ship is better than being at home.

As others say, different people have different priorities.

For our over 400 days of cruising (HAL and others) we have usually booked an inside cabin, although we have experienced Verandah cabins as well as outside cabins. We are perfectly happy with an inside cabin on HAL ships and in fact are booked for three more with an inside cabin. Since most of our cruises are over 30 days, the difference can be thousands of dollars. As an example, on one of our upcoming cruises, the difference between our inside cabin and the lowest priced Verandah cabin is over $5,000 more per person, after discounts!

Oh what we can do with $10,000! That is another at least 60 day cruise for one person. So, more trips is our priorty. Others feel the opposite.

Now, if one of us had physical limitations that would make getting around the ship difficult, then the Verandah cabin would be our choice, hands down. Fortunately we are able to roam as much as we want and we found that we did not spend any more time in the cabin with a Verandah that we do without. Others feel differently.

So, have fun and decide what you think for the future.

Wander: Good point.....when you see a cruise advertised...starting at $xxxx it is usually the lowest inside category price and if you check out the other prices, as you say, it can mean thousands of $$ difference. If you can afford it, that's terrific. However, if you can cruise for less or not cruise at all, I say cruise for less and keep on doin' it. :D

I have been in verandah cabins, outside cabins, and inside cabins. I've had a ball in all three kinds of cabins. The verandah cabins are nice because you can take a few steps and you're outside. However, you're alone ... and I'm the kind of guy who likes to be around people. Hence, I'd rather take a few steps from a cabin on the Lower Promenade deck (on an S or R ship) and be outdoors on the ship's largest verandah. :D

No, truly ... I find very little difference, personally, between the two. I've never felt enclosed in an inside cabin, and I always sleep better in them because I don't have to fight with outside light. And, of course, by going inside rather than verandah I usually get to cruise twice as often. THAT is a real treat.

Christopher much prefers verandah cabins, however, hence I have to bow to pressure from him, from time to time, and book an A, B, or SS. In November we'll be aboard the Westerdam in an SS for two weeks. I know I'll enjoy it, but I'll probably have as much fun aboard the Noordam in my main deck J-cabin. :)

My first cruise we had an outside cabin on the lower promenade deck. We liked it fine. Next cruise we had a mini-suite with a balcony, third cruise a Super Deluxe S suite with big balcony, neptune lounge, etc. We loved being spoiled, thought we would never go back. Then this opportunity to cruise to Hawaii came along right after we returned from Cancun this spring and no way could we afford it if we took anything more than an outside cabin again (especially not at 17 days). To me, it is worth it do downgrade on this trip to get to Hawaii in September 2005! You never know what life holds in store for you.

I consider the outside rooms on r/s ships to be the same as insides because of the bad placement of the bed under the porthole/window. A lot of ships have the beds in the middle of the rooms with chairs next to the window.

Now having said that, I have been on everything from an inside on a 3 star ship to a balcony on a 6 star ship, and no matter what I am still cruising no matter where the room is. :)

IMHO the only major downside to an inside room, is on cruises with LOTS of sea day. IE the world cruise. There are times you have 6 days in a row at sea. IMHO an inside would drive me crazy on those sea days.

If you are in a port a day cruise in the Caribbean, I would not waste the money on a balcony and maybe not an outside.

The cabin on my first cruise was an inside stateroom and just a few inches smaller than the janitor's closet...but I enjoyed myself and was rarely there.

The cabin on my latest cruise was an deluxe stateroom with verandah....and I can honestly say I cannot go back to an inside cabin.

DH and I loved sitting out on the balcony in the evenings, or we'd just lean on the railing and watched the ports fade away in the distance. Very romantic ;)

Please note that we are not really *people* people like our dear revneal here :p so we enjoyed having a bit of privacy.

We'd go longer between cruises if it meant the difference between an outside or inside cabin....we're spoiled now forever (but THAT can be a good thing).

Best wishes,

~e

The cabin on my first cruise was an inside stateroom and just a few inches smaller than the janitor's closet...but I enjoyed myself and was rarely there.

Some inside cabins are the size of broom-closets ... some are much larger. Check out the photos of the J-category Large Inside cabin on Main Deck of the Oosterdam:

cabin1.jpg-thumb_140_105.jpgcabin2.jpg-thumb_140_105.jpg

cabin3.jpg-thumb_140_105.jpgcabin4.jpg-thumb_140_105.jpg

Please note that we are not really *people* people like our dear revneal here so we enjoyed having a bit of privacy.

Oh, I enjoy privacy too ... but, most of the time I'd rather be out and about, meeting people and seeing whatever there is to be seen. When I have a verandah I spend maybe a an half hour on it a day ... at most. Christopher stays out there a lot ... me, I'd rather be roaming the ship, enjoying the lounges, and meeting people. He'd rather hide.

We were in a large ocean view cabin (full size window) on our last trip and after realizing that we were never, ever, in our room during the daytime hours, we have booked an inside cabin for our next cruise.

I think the privacy of a verandah would be lovely if we were still a working couple, going off each day to our respective responsibilities. Then, we would have wanted a quiet place to be alone, just the two of us, for quality time. However, we usually hang out together now and although I love my husband, dearly, I also really love the opportunity to be around the ship, just getting to talk with other people. That's the fun part for us.

And how could I possibly stay in my room while sailing and miss what is on the other side of the ship? susana.

i've done a balcony once - just to see what all the hubub was about - and found it (for me) a waste of money. i'm in the camp of only hanging 'round my cabin to shower and sleep... and on the balcony i always had the nagging feeling i was missing-out on the rest of the ship (as in "why am i wasting time sitting in my room when i'm sailing in a giant resort?").

something else i didn't like (and was alluded-to above) is that outside rooms just don't get dark enough during the day. after a couple of dives in port sometimes i like to come-back for an afternoon nap - in an inside cabin, it's perfectly dark and no prob; outside cabins just let-in too much light for my taste.

to each his own... but having done a balcony several cruises ago i can honestly say i won't go back (opting to spend the differential cost - if i even do that - on drinks & shore excursions)...

Took my bride on our honeymoon in a Cat B outside cabin on the Ryndam.....then an SS on the Oosterdam......then an RS on the Galaxy....and now an S on the Volendam. See a pattern???? :o No way, no how am I getting her into an inside. Showed her an inside cabin across from our's on the Oosterdam....her comment....."Did you see the stalactites hanging from the ceiling?" There really weren't any but I got the message. :)

I have been on 3 cruises, and all were inside cabins. I didn't mind them one bit, and being the frugal gal that I am...I prefer getting more bang for the buck. Now - if someone else were paying for my cabin and wanted to splurge on a window or balcony...I'd gladly let them! ;)

Tripman,

Don't worry. We have had inside, porthole and verandah, never an S Suite but I would like it but I really have to work for my money as my husband is retired. We went to Hawaii and had an inside and used it for a bedroom with the decks and ports as our fun. We thoroughly enjoyed it. Panama Canal we had a verandah and it was our first time and we loved it. Europe we were fortunate to have another verandah and leaving Venice we got a beautiful pictures of the town. But we also had an inside on Alaska but we were up on top when we weren't in our cabins so as you can see you can enjoy yourself any place. I am getting ready for retirement 12/31/06 so I am squeezing in all the cruises I can from now til then. We go on the Zdam in 2 weeks, then Maasdam in May to New England and then just a Babja with my whole family for my 60th birthday and we are paying and we all have inside but hey I will have my kids, grandkids, in-laws and friend so what can be better. Still looking for a 7 day somewhere for the end of next year. Only have 15 days vacation and I want to make the most of it. Sorry to be so winded but just enjoy :D :D

Archived