increased cabin temperatures

camarowesley

Over the past several years we have seen the cabin temps increase substantially. Each time we complained we got the same story, temp was within standards, and no changes in cooling had been made. Now I see where Carnival has saved billions in fuel, and one of the ways it has done this is by installing energy efficient air conditioners. I'm all about energy efficiency, but I'm also all about being comfortable on vacation.

This is the link to the story.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=6012

NOT GOOD!

I like my room dark and cool when I'm sleeping. I've never had much luck controlling temps in the cabins. IM booked for may 2nd and now after reading this I am not looking forward to sleeping uncomfortable. I hope its not so bad. I'll still bring a fan lol

I agree. I like for it to be cool when I sleep. I would rather for Carnival to dim lighting aroudn the ship or something during certain hours than cut the air up! When we were on the Freedom during May, I swear it seemed like the air cut off completely at night. We would wake up around the same time every night and both of us was pouring sweat.

Gotta say that I am also one who is always cold!

But, I am confused. Why does Carnival installing Energy Efficient AC systems equate with higher room temps? No where does it say in the article that they will be raising the temps in the room. Energey efficient does not necessarily mean that the temps will be going up all around the ship, it just means that the AC units they have will be working more efficiently.

Over the past several years we have seen the cabin temps increase substantially. Each time we complained we got the same story, temp was within standards, and no changes in cooling had been made. Now I see where Carnival has saved billions in fuel, and one of the ways it has done this is by installing energy efficient air conditioners. I'm all about energy efficiency, but I'm also all about being comfortable on vacation.

This is the link to the story.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=6012

So......I am confused. Where does any of that say they are raising room temperatures? We sail Carnival a lot, that has not been our experience (raised temperatures, in fact on our last cruise on the Splendor, we had to turn up the temp).

I have had cold cabins.

And a couple of hot ones.

The worst was Conquest 1017 and it was truly so hot that it was difficult to sleep.

Actually had to put a wet bath cloth on my head to be cool enough to sleep.

It was definitely not good.

And yes, I called about it.

They checked and said that it was "within specifications".

It was also not summer, that cruise was April 1.

We did not spend any more time than absolutely necessary in that cabin.

No room service, never turned on the tv, nothing but sleeping at night and bathing.

Between cold cabins and hot ones, cold is better.

But, I am confused. Why does Carnival installing Energy Efficient AC systems equate with higher room temps? No where does it say in the article that they will be raising the temps in the room. Energey efficient does not necessarily mean that the temps will be going up all around the ship, it just means that the AC units they have will be working more efficiently.

So......I am confused. Where does any of that say they are raising room temperatures? We sail Carnival a lot, that has not been our experience (raised temperatures, in fact on our last cruise on the Splendor, we had to turn up the temp).

I didn't mean to confuse anyone. I didn't say the article stated the cabins temps had increased, I said WE have noticed the increased temps. This is a personal observation on the last 5 cruises we have been on and feel like it may have to do with the energy efficient air conditioning units.

When we were on the Triumph in February our room was basically freezing the entire time...which was fine with me! We love our room being cold at night. I'm hoping our room will be comfortable at night on the Freedom. Otherwise I'll probably have miserable sleep, as I can't sleep well at all when I get warm.

When we were on the Triumph in February our room was basically freezing the entire time...which was fine with me! We love our room being cold at night. I'm hoping our room will be comfortable at night on the Freedom. Otherwise I'll probably have miserable sleep, as I can't sleep well at all when I get warm.

Good luck, Freedom is one of the ships we had problems on. We cruised the 1st week of May, room 1014. We met a couple that had an interior on the 7th floor and they said their cabin was comfortable, so maybe you'll be one of the lucky ones.

I didn't mean to confuse anyone. I didn't say the article stated the cabins temps had increased, I said WE have noticed the increased temps. This is a personal observation on the last 5 cruises we have been on and feel like it may have to do with the energy efficient air conditioning units.

Thanks for the explanation. But, temperature is very subjective. So, unless you have brought a thermometer and checked the temps in each of the cabins you have stayed in, not sure you can say for sure that the temps have increased.

To me, it is always too cold and I usually have to have a jacket with me most places. To my hubby, unless it is freezing cold with a breeze in his face, he is too hot! I have taken my magnetic thermometer with me on both cruises and the temps were almost exatly the same on both ships. It shows the high and the low for each day and the temp range has been the same on both.

That is not to say that you have not felt warmer, but again, temperature is a very subjective thing and unless accurately taken with a thermometer there is no real way to tell if what you say about it being hotter is a true statement or not.

We just sailed Liberty, and I can assure you cabin 9233 will probably cause you to lose weight via sweat bath! The temperature guy cam in with his digital readout - it was 78.8 deg. He agreed that was above standard, but nothing was ever done about it. The special down comforter spent the better part of the cruise on the floor! Preparing complaint as we speak. Sweat running thru my hair all night does not make for a happy camper. Out of 18 cruises with carnival this is the first time we've come home with a big complaint.

Good luck, Freedom is one of the ships we had problems on. We cruised the 1st week of May, room 1014. We met a couple that had an interior on the 7th floor and they said their cabin was comfortable, so maybe you'll be one of the lucky ones.

We are in a 4j on deck 7 so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

I don't usually complain, especially on vacation...but temperature at night when I'm trying to sleep is just not something I'll give up on if it's too warm.

We just sailed Liberty, and I can assure you cabin 9233 will probably cause you to lose weight via sweat bath! The temperature guy cam in with his digital readout - it was 78.8 deg. He agreed that was above standard, but nothing was ever done about it. The special down comforter spent the better part of the cruise on the floor! Preparing complaint as we speak. Sweat running thru my hair all night does not make for a happy camper. Out of 18 cruises with carnival this is the first time we've come home with a big complaint.

What did you do after the maintenance guy agreed that it was above standard? Did you call Guest Services and let them know? Did you stay on top of them? I would have complained while on board and had something done then and there.

I just took a cruise two weeks ago on the Ecstasy and I could control the temperature in my room. I never noticed it before but it's a red box on the ceiling with a knob on it. During the day I would turn it down and at night turn it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Wow, that's incredibly uncomfortable. We had a hot cabin on the Valor, but not as hot as yours. Disappointing that you didn't get resolution during your cruise.

This happened In our condo down south. They installed this efficiency "system", and the apartment NEVER got down to the temp we set it at, and the unit actually ran 24 hours a day without stop. Previously, we would turn it off if we went out or it would go off as soon as the designated temp was reached.

God only knows what they thought they were saving, but I can imagine what that electricity bill looked like.

What did you do after the maintenance guy agreed that it was above standard? Did you call Guest Services and let them know? Did you stay on top of them? I would have complained while on board and had something done then and there.

Me, too! Everyone in Guest Services would know me as I would raise the devil. If passengers are uncomfortable, speak up and demand that it be resolved.

The temperature guy cam in with his digital readout - it was 78.8 deg. He agreed that was above standard, but nothing was ever done about it.

I don't give a rodent's backside what THEY think is "standard!" If our stateroom is 78 degrees, they need to fix it or give me my money back or use their vacation guarantee to go home. If our A/C at home goes out, I go to a hotel. Can't stand the heat!

Added to my list (fan & thermometer) will be a notebook to track temps, times & names. this is ridiculous!

I have had cold cabins.

And a couple of hot ones.

The worst was Conquest 1017 and it was truly so hot that it was difficult to sleep.

Actually had to put a wet bath cloth on my head to be cool enough to sleep.

It was definitely not good.

And yes, I called about it.

They checked and said that it was "within specifications".

It was also not summer, that cruise was April 1.

We did not spend any more time than absolutely necessary in that cabin.

No room service, never turned on the tv, nothing but sleeping at night and bathing.

Between cold cabins and hot ones, cold is better.

I hope you complained and they made it right one way or another. I'd be dragging my mattress to a cool public room and camping out there...watch me!

We just got off Sensation yesterday and had an issue with ours the entire cruise. We paid extra for an aft balcony because we wanted to spend time in our room & on our balcony in peace. Our steward came & tried to adjust it for us and told his boss and we advised guest services right away before we even sailed out of port.

Over the next 3 days they came in several times with the digital thermometer and each time it was above standard. Although when we complained the 1st day they came in and took the temp while dh & I were out to dinner and the show and it read 75 (within standards) Of course it was cooler- we were gone for 3 hours:mad:!

Sleeping was miserable. The last night we dragged our mattress out on the balcony and had the best sleep of the whole trip. It always got warm whenever we were in the room- taking a shower made the room unbearable and forget about trying to dry my hair to look nice for formal night.

Finally after dh dragged the supervisor down to our cabin 2 times and she watched the digital number climb to 77+ before her eyes, they agreed to give us 15% of two of our days- a mere $80. They would not credit the 1st day because it was within standards. We told her that we would most likely not be back on Sensation. Very sad- we'd never had this type of experience on her before. :(

We complained about the cabin temp on our Valor cruise last year. They came out three times and it was above standard....78+ degrees at 10pm-12am. Their solution was a box fan. They wouldn't move us bc they said the ship was full. When I wrote to them when we got home, we were offered only $75pp....because they said we never tried to get it fixed on the ship!

We just got off Sensation yesterday and had an issue with ours the entire cruise. We paid extra for an aft balcony because we wanted to spend time in our room & on our balcony in peace. Our steward came & tried to adjust it for us and told his boss and we advised guest services right away before we even sailed out of port.

Over the next 3 days they came in several times with the digital thermometer and each time it was above standard. Although when we complained the 1st day they came in and took the temp while dh & I were out to dinner and the show and it read 75 (within standards) Of course it was cooler- we were gone for 3 hours:mad:!

Sleeping was miserable. The last night we dragged our mattress out on the balcony and had the best sleep of the whole trip. It always got warm whenever we were in the room- taking a shower made the room unbearable and forget about trying to dry my hair to look nice for formal night.

Finally after dh dragged the supervisor down to our cabin 2 times and she watched the digital number climb to 77+ before her eyes, they agreed to give us 15% of two of our days- a mere $80. They would not credit the 1st day because it was within standards. We told her that we would most likely not be back on Sensation. Very sad- we'd never had this type of experience on her before. :(

I read there is the same problem on several of their ships. Why would anyone want to go on the ugliest most outdated ships is beyond me.