Wearing of Military Decorations on Formal Nights

Snooks123

Before leaving the topic of formal nights, subject to an earlier thread begun by me:

Cunard's FAQs encourage the wearing of military (and other) decorations on formal nights by those who've been awarded them.

I'm wondering how common it actually is for people to do so?

I'm used to wearing my medals on ceremonial occasions or in the confines of formal nights within the military but have never worn my decorations in such a setting as a cruise ship. Do others who've sailed regularly with Cunard have any insights as to how many people wear medals on formal nights and how that is perceived by other passengers? I just want to dress appropriately for the setting with the right amount of formality.

Thanks for your thoughts.

I can only speak to being a passenger and have no idea whatsoever as far as military protocol goes....

I LOVE seeing men in the military dress uniforms. I had commented on another thread that Cunard is the only line I know of, where men can easily outshine women on formal night. I also LOVE seeing kilts with all the regalia that goes with them.....but I digress.....back to medals. I feel that if you obviously deserved your medals, you should wear them with pride. It also gives me an opportunity to know who served (whenever & wherever) and thank them for their service.

Before leaving the topic of formal nights, subject to an earlier thread begun by me:

Cunard's FAQs encourage the wearing of military (and other) decorations on formal nights by those who've been awarded them.

I'm used to wearing my medals on ceremonial occasions or in the confines of formal nights within the military but have never worn my decorations in such a setting as a cruise ship. Do others who've sailed regularly with Cunard have any insights as to how many people wear medals on formal nights and how that is perceived by other passengers? I just want to dress appropriately for the setting with the right amount of formality.

It is very common to see miniature medals worn on formal nights by women on their gowns and the gentlemen on their DJ's etc.

The Officers always wear theirs. But the wearing of them is entirely an individual choice. You got it so why not show it !

Edited by Pennbank

... Cunard's FAQs encourage the wearing of military (and other) decorations on formal nights by those who've been awarded them.

I'm wondering how common it actually is for people to do so? ...

Based on what I've seen on dozens of formal nights on QM2 wearing decorations is about as common as wearing kilts.

On none of my ten voyages to date have I ever seen more than a handful of people wearing military decorations.

I would never wear my own as I really don't feel it is appropriate to do so on an occasion that has no military connection whatsoever.

J

I checked the US regulations and found this.

Retired personnel, who are not on active duty, living or visiting a foreign country, may only wear a uniform to attend ceremonies or social functions when wearing a uniform is required by the terms of the invitations of customs of the country.

I would think that since Cunard actually encourages the wearing of uniforms at formal night, then the metals would be ok also. Not that a cruise is a foreign country, but the ship is of foreign registry at least for US citizens.

On none of my ten voyages to date have I ever seen more than a handful of people wearing military decorations.

I would never wear my own as I really don't feel it is appropriate to do so on an occasion that has no military connection whatsoever.

J

Well said, I agree.

(but... it is a matter of personal taste and individual choice)

Edited by pepperrn

Hi,

I have seen Miniature Medals worn on Formal nights only on Cunard and P & O Cruises, this included both Men in Uniform and Black Tie. Ask Cunard came up with the following:-

Can I wear my medals during a formal 'Black Tie' night?

We have no restrictions on any medals you have earned being worn on a formal night.

For details of formal nights, please see "What will the dress code be whilst I am on board?"

I think the operative word is 'earned'. I would suggest whatever you feel comfortable with. I wear mine for my Regiment which was 'done away with' in the last round of cutbacks!

Best wishes,

Dave

When I sailed on Cunard 2 years ago, I did see men in black-tie wearing the miniature version of medals. Not the ribbon decorations, but the actual mini sized version of the hanging ones.

Everyone asks about them too. I think they wore only a few too, their highest in precedence.

Yes, I have seen plenty of medals on formal nights. I am not so sure about military ones. Most common ones worn are the miniature. I was given an MBE by the Queen for my charity work and I wear it with pride on Formal Nights. When else is one to wear them? Go ahead and wear with pride.

Regards

Pat

Based on what I've seen on dozens of formal nights on QM2 wearing decorations is about as common as wearing kilts.

lol....that made me laugh...I wear both, my kilt and my miniature on formal nights. On presentation you are given a smaller travelling medal which is acceptable wear on such occasions.

Gosh, I have seen all manner of military regalia on display. I haven't the faintest idea whether it is technically proper adornment, but think it is a lovely way to display service to country that inspires respect and honor, and it inevitably leads to good conversation. I would hope all who have served would take a liberal approach to whatever rules may apply so the rest of us could enjoy heightened awareness and express pride and gratitude.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Gosh, I have seen all manner of military regalia on display. I haven't the faintest idea whether it is technically proper adornment, but think it is a lovely way to display service to country that inspires respect and honor, and it inevitably leads to good conversation. I would hope all who have served would take a liberal approach to whatever rules may apply so the rest of us could enjoy heightened awareness and express pride and gratitude.

I too have seen many medals worn and confess to being totally ignorant if they're military or civilian, but whatever, they were given for service and are worn with pride.

Good on them.

Well said........I'm with you!

lol....that made me laugh...I wear both, my kilt and my miniature on formal nights. On presentation you are given a smaller travelling medal which is acceptable wear on such occasions.
Congratulations on having both a kilt and a decoration, roscoe39. I'm happy to report that I've seen several kilted, decoration wearing gentlemen over the years, but only a single green tuxedo (undecorated).

A few years ago, inspired by the traditional events around the time of Remembrance Sunday, I wrote a short piece of free verse in an attempt to sum up how I felt about such things in general and about medals in particular. I've never really gone public with this as, in truth, I don't like it much. But, given the theme of this thread and the fact that we aren't all that short of 11 November, here it is. Take it or leave it, just as you please.

J

We Who are Left

"They shall grow not old...."

Perhaps that's true of the dead.

But, be in no doubt, the living grow old

Wearily, remorselessly, inevitably. And I feel it,

More and more now with each day that passes.

So, what have we left - we who are left?

Our pensions? The begrudged pittance of our "grateful" masters!

Some medals? Discs of shiny metal decorating a drawer!

Yes both of those, but mostly memories. Memories born of our own brief stay,

Our few short hours, in the long continuum of the Regiment's life

And what are they worth, these memories?

More than pensions? More than medals?

Yes and Yes! For without them what are we?

Not old... but dead. And so, the memories sustain us,

Ne obliviscaris… ne obliviscaris.

Congratulations on having both a kilt and a decoration, roscoe39. I'm happy to report that I've seen several kilted, decoration wearing gentlemen over the years, but only a single green tuxedo (undecorated).

yes the green tuxedo..on behalf of myself and my fellow leprechauns (on my mothers side) my last great fashion faux pas... ..........sorry....... :-)

Edited by roscoe39

I would be delighted to see you wearing your medals on formal nights.

J

Cruachan, I respect your decision.

Sincerely,

Salacia