Ft. Lauderdale

KAR3600

Re Ft. Lauderdale - any advice on inexpensive motels/hotels that are decent? We figure to fly in the day before our cruise...

You may want to check the Florida Departures board on this site for more information on this. I've heard good things about the Embassy Suites on 17th and the Hyatt Place. Don't know how inexpensive they are though. We always have ended up out near Sunrise/Plantation for other reasons.

And on one debarkation day we waited in the Taxi line for over an hour! There were a few ships in port that day. They were also allowing w/c people to go to the head of the line-which normally wouldn't matter-but after such a long wait people were getting ugly. The county sheriffs started assigning taxis and not allowing cutting in line etc and then things started getting better.

And on one debarkation day we waited in the Taxi line for over an hour! There were a few ships in port that day. They were also allowing w/c people to go to the head of the line-which normally wouldn't matter-but after such a long wait people were getting ugly. The county sheriffs started assigning taxis and not allowing cutting in line etc and then things started getting better.

We have had a similar experience.

Re Ft. Lauderdale - any advice on inexpensive motels/hotels that are decent? We figure to fly in the day before our cruise...

Not many "inexpensive" hotels that you'd want to stay at. Just keep checking travel/hotel booking sites or a favorite chain for any deals. We did score a $69 room at the Fairfield Inn one year through lastminutetravel dot com. When you book a hotel, make sure it's refundable in case you find a better deal.

The definition of 'inexpensive' varies greatly between the summer (low season) and the winter (high season). Hotels can (and do) double and triple their rates in high season. Check out the Florida Departures board here on cruise critic for suggestions (make sure you give your travel dates and budget).

Make certain there are not 5 or 6 ships in port. We missed our 1 pm flight because there was a late disembarkation and NO taxis. Taxis were dropping off but not picking up. We stood in line in the sun for over 2 hours and then finally grabbed space in a jammed packed private shuttle bus for almost twice the taxi fare.

Make certain there are not 5 or 6 ships in port. We missed our 1 pm flight because there was a late disembarkation and NO taxis. Taxis were dropping off but not picking up. We stood in line in the sun for over 2 hours and then finally grabbed space in a jammed packed private shuttle bus for almost twice the taxi fare.

The point is have a backup plan.

We have arrived with 10 ships in port and made our 0945 flight with no problems.

So know your options and CYA.

Mike:)

I'm going in less than 2 weeks and we purchased the r/t princess transportation. When we return there will be 6 ships in port, one of them is the Oasis, I have an 11:45 flight and I wanted to make it without panicking. I know, and have been told, I didn't need it, but I feel better knowing I won't have to wait in the taxi lines.

I have done that and it can be quite long.

Are taxis waiting at the port? We have not booked transfers to airport should we?

Yes...why have the last memory of a cruise be a nightmare if all the taxis are not there?

I'd recommend The Comfort Inn on Sterling. Nothing fancy, but clean and inexpensive plus not too far from the port.