Customer service again

Two 2 Tango

You've just made me laugh at that :)

I must say I've been amazed at how quickly I've been dealt with this year. Maybe I'm flagged as I originally went on a rant on Facebook and have had terrific responses ever since.

My current gripe is I can't pre-book a drinks package for my repo in March. I was told that the premium package IS available on that sailing. It's not coming up as an option on the website - the Classic is but won't let me book it.

It's driving me mad at the moment as it'll cost me an extra €282 (£222) for the premium if I have to book onboard :mad: That's on top of the €1880 (£1482) without the 15% added. To add insult to injury, the premium, when it increases, will be €44 but they're charging €47 on this sailing!

You should be able to add it by telephoning whoever you booked with: MSC direct or your TA.

I was not able to add Allegrissimo online for my first MSC repo. I emailed MSC and had a call back in two minutes to take payment details. This was before I knew it was possible to book and pay on board for a regular cruise. I only missed out on Club Points for pre-booking and paying onboard instead - the price was about the same with the exchange rates at the time. With that repo, post-pay was not a possibility without incurring the extra 15%.

It also sounds like many TAs are not clued up. I have heard multiple accounts of people being told to contact MSC directly to add extras. MSC direct act like a TA exclusively for the line and certainly won't deal with the issues their 'competition' can't be bothered to deal with. They will rightly be referred back to their TA.

I wish you success!

I wish you success!

Thanks, Tim.

My TA is very experienced in dealing with MSC. The problem he encounters is that he has to book it for me using his account with them which entails me paying it before the sailing as part of the overall booking with him (which will cause me to lose out on at least 9 points if the package costs €1880 - it will be in $ so, if they charge that much in $ we're talking almost $2400 which is 12 points lost!)

Most TA's will access your account directly and prebook it but only if the website allows this. That's the difficulty in my case.

As you know, everybody has similar issues with the company - something that's straightforward today or available in one of the markets, isn't somewhere else.

Bea ... We have the same issue as you with regards to booking Drinks and Tours etc online prior to our cruise which meant a complaint to the main man at MSC UK, the issue once again is Naples and their website wonders and their lack of enthusiasm to respond or sort out the issues regarding the website.

We can book drink packages only via our TA but as you say will not get points towards a Black card because we are paying upfront or book onboard and incur the 15% gratuity.

Having asked MSC via email about upgrades we were told we had to go via our TA despite it only being some 6 weeks prior to the cruise and being fully paid up.

Having contacted the TA he told us that he would have to email MSC to get a price because they will not take telephone queries for bookings already made ..!

The madness it seems continues .... :eek:

Bea ... We have the same issue as you with regards to booking Drinks and Tours etc online prior to our cruise which meant a complaint to the main man at MSC UK, the issue once again is Naples and their website wonders and their lack of enthusiasm to respond or sort out the issues regarding the website.

We can book drink packages only via our TA but as you say will not get points towards a Black card because we are paying upfront or book onboard and incur the 15% gratuity.

Having asked MSC via email about upgrades we were told we had to go via our TA despite it only being some 6 weeks prior to the cruise and being fully paid up.

Having contacted the TA he told us that he would have to email MSC to get a price because they will not take telephone queries for bookings already made ..!

The madness it seems continues .... :eek:

.........and yet on their website they have a tab "On Board Services" which, when you click on it, you get a drop-down menu including "Book your services onboard".

On the UK site, on the left-hand side, if you click on "Allegrissimo Beverage Packages" you're brought to a page which states: You can reserve any of our special packages through your travel agent when you book your cruise. If you have already booked your cruise and you want to book one of these packages just CLICK HERE. And by booking in advance, you can enjoy more indulgence for less..

I mean, what's the bloody point? Pardon the French but's that's the way I feel!

Also, note the term "reserve" when about booking with TAs!

Thanks, Tim.

My TA is very experienced in dealing with MSC. The problem he encounters is that he has to book it for me using his account with them which entails me paying it before the sailing as part of the overall booking with him (which will cause me to lose out on at least 9 points if the package costs €1880 - it will be in $ so, if they charge that much in $ we're talking almost $2400 which is 12 points lost!)

Most TA's will access your account directly and prebook it but only if the website allows this. That's the difficulty in my case.

As you know, everybody has similar issues with the company - something that's straightforward today or available in one of the markets, isn't somewhere else.

I the general issues are exasperated by the cruise being a one-off repo. It appears the IT guys, or should that be the IT guy, has time to set up the additional services options online for regular sailings but not the repos. The only time I was able to access it for one of my repos that was a total cockup, pardon my French, but in my favour. I obtained Allegrissimo Premium, free of charge, on a cruise where no Allegrissimo packages were available. The full story can be found in my Fantasia link below.

You can make a small saving booking onboard, despite the 15%, by starting on your first full day, i.e. day 2. I know it is hardly a satisfactory solution but an option to consider.

I the general issues are exasperated by the cruise being a one-off repo. It appears the IT guys, or should that be the IT guy, has time to set up the additional services options online for regular sailings but not the repos.

I think you're on to something there. Someone posted on another thread that they're doing a repo from Santos on 28th March next and booked their drinks package.

The only time I was able to access it for one of my repos that was a total cockup, pardon my French, but in my favour. I obtained Allegrissimo Premium, free of charge, on a cruise where no Allegrissimo packages were available.

Nice one!

You can make a small saving booking onboard, despite the 15%, by starting on your first full day, i.e. day 2. I know it is hardly a satisfactory solution but an option to consider.

It's not something I would have thought to do. However, it's more the principal of the bloomin' thing than the cost. If the website encourages you to book in advance why the heck can customer care not assist?!

I also have a feeling I may not be able to book the premium package which I have my heart set on. :mad: It's kind of a consolation prize for not being able to book YC. There's not a lot of difference in price between it and the Classic whereas, on my upcoming trip, I've no intention of getting premium as it's the difference between €23 and €42 - NOT worth that jump.

There should be no difference in booking a drink package for a 7/14 night cruise or a repo cruise, the website pages do not change in order to book so it is clearly something or someone who has taken the decision in Naples to block it happening!

It looks like they are forcing people to either pay upfront or pay on the ship and incur the 15% service charge.

The only other way is to vote with your feet and do not give them any more money whilst onboard the ship!

The only other way is to vote with your feet and do not give them any more money whilst onboard the ship!

I couldn't imagine doing a cruise without a drinks package, Sid. Even with the 15% added, I think MSC have the best value packages of any cruiseline.

The frustration comes from them implying these services can be pre-booked and so it should be an easy and straightforward process. Instead, it's just an annoyance not being able to.

It takes from the anticipation of the trip when all plans can't be put in place without the grief!

I've no intention of getting premium as it's the difference between €23 and €42 - NOT worth that jump.

I would agree. In my experience (on a free trial :)), anything included in the Premium but not in the standard Allegrissimo, would be less-costly to pay for on top. I liked the better red wine by the glass on Premium but it would be less costly to pay for a bottle of something better than the Allegrissimo wines every day instead. The 'included' minibar is only sparsely stocked once a day. I can't tell the difference between bottled lager (Premium) and draught lager (standard). All the spirits are well-known international brands and, really, is there a difference between Bombay Sapphire (Premium) and Gordon's (standard) when it is in an expertly-made cocktail? In my experience, no.

If ever they get themselves organised on the shoreside, fares will surely rise. Appreciate the failings while they last, even if that means forgoing MSC Club points or paying the 15%. It is your call.

Edited by Skipper Tim

!AS has been stated many times here, the best way to get a quick answer to a problem is contacting them through Facebook!"

Bear .... not when they constantly have to refer the issue to Naples for someone there to make a decision! while other cruise lines are running on Gas and Electricity MSC are still running on Candles and Coal fires ... :rolleyes:

Just had a great reply from customer service about 2 emails I sent weeks ago.

The reply was sorry but it would seem we have not replied to your request for help, but do you still require help.

Would it not have been better to first apologize for having not answered, and second to have answered the question in the original request. I have had to reply to the email asking why they have not answered my question, so I expect to have a reply sometime after I return from my cruise asking if I still need help.:mad::mad:

Hate the website. I have done check in after typing in personal info at least 3 times. Hopefully it saved. I booked excursions and wine packages, I thought a few weeks ago. How do I find the ones I booked?

How did you book them? If it was online then you'll see the under onboard services. You should also have had an email confirming your booking. If you made the booking by phone or via a TA or by some other means, then your confirmation should come from that source and you won't see it online.

Well the latest response some days back in order to book online packages was this ....

I have received an update today from my colleagues that the setup of the packages for winter 2014 – 2015 is not yet completed.

No rush guys just under 6 weeks before sail date .... :rolleyes:

Well the latest response some days back in order to book online packages was this ....

I have received an update today from my colleagues that the setup of the packages for winter 2014 – 2015 is not yet completed.

No rush guys just under 6 weeks before sail date .... :rolleyes:

Will be interesting to see just how long it DOES take LOL

Hopefully it'll be in time for you to get sorted, Sid

!AS has been stated many times here, the best way to get a quick answer to a problem is contacting them through Facebook!"

Bear .... not when they constantly have to refer the issue to Naples for someone there to make a decision! while other cruise lines are running on Gas and Electricity MSC are still running on Candles and Coal fires ... :rolleyes:

Sid, while I'm not making any excuses for the slow/incomplete service you all have experienced, it certainly isn't just an MSC thing!

Every company has gone through growing pains like MSC is right now!

Sorry to say:( we're old enough to remember the consolidation/growth of the cruise industry in the last 15-20 years that caused these problems at every company, we could bore you with many stories about other cruise lines mis-handling bookings, over complicating simple things, waiting for their Corporate office to chime in! RCL had problems in the late 90's when they took over Celebrity, and Carnival had problems with HAL in the early 90's and Princess in the early 2000's! They eventually fixed most of them, as MSC wiil, but,,,The big money in MSC right now is being spent growing their fleet, so our opinion is sorry to say the problems will most likely persist for another couple of years! Hopefully we will be wrong!

For the time being we agree with many of your suggestions here, and MSC should/could implement them, which wouldn't cost a lot! A happy customer is more likely to return!

ex. Let the US office make customer service decisions here in the US! And continue that around to the other MSC office areas! Move banking to the different regions also! Business decisions made in Italy, banking done in Paris, with ships in the Caribbean, ships in the Med., ships in the Atlantic, and ships in the Pacific, what could go wrong?!:eek:

We had no problem on the web site booking drink pkges., booking excursions, changing them not once but several times each! Maybe we were lucky! But better customer service will be needed to continue growth in the Americas, and other areas MSC will target for those who do have problems!

Happy cruising to all!:)

Had no issues booking drink packages through website for November sailing, but received a reply that spa package had nearly doubled in price as of mid-October. Website still does not reflect this and was told they aren't sure when it will. Just wanted to give a heads up for those who might be working on booking spa packages.

Edited by flhokie