Best Way flying ,Brisbane to Rio de Janeiro?

Hi, We are doing a 31 dayer Feb.2016, Buenos Aires to LA. And wish to go to Rio first for a few days before we join Ship in BA. Would appreciate any advise on the best way to fly Brisbane to Rio. I know its a bit early , but knowing the best direction how to get there ,we then may be able to plan other tours. All advices appreciated. Brenda.

The smartest way is virtually the only way :

Fly Air New Zealand in daylight Brisbane to Auckland to connect with

Lan Chile departing Auckland each evening to Santiago in Chile, there onward connection with LAN to Rio de Janiero .

Lan Chile departing Auckland each evening to Santiago in Chile, there onward connection with LAN to Rio de Janiero .

Brenda....Exactly, having been to South America 3 or 4 times, inc this year, not too many options, LAN is fine, you can book direct with their code share partner Qantas or direct with LAN. They use the A340 Airbus. Service is fine also. But be aware, no competition for Qantas/LAN, except perhaps Aerolinas Argentinas, so fares are not cheap.

Edited by NSWP

Hi, We are doing a 31 dayer Feb.2016, Buenos Aires to LA. And wish to go to Rio first for a few days before we join Ship in BA. Would appreciate any advise on the best way to fly Brisbane to Rio. I know its a bit early , but knowing the best direction how to get there ,we then may be able to plan other tours. All advices appreciated. Brenda.

Brenda...We did the same cruise in March this year on Golden Princess, BA to LA, any advice needed, just ask. If you get the chance spend a week or two, as we did, in Buenos Aires/Iguazu Falls, fantistico !!

Above all, enjoy. !!

Edited by NSWP

Thanks Kuldalai , Uncle Les and Aus Traveller, for your good advice & information,seems the way to go, I can start planning our flights from now on. Really looking forward to this cruise , have only done from the Panama north to LA. in June 2014 (Island P.) so from BA to Panama will be new & exciting. Thanks Brenda.

Oh Uncle Les. We have booked a 31 dayer repo around the Cape ending in BA. (Starting in San Diago) ours is Nov 2015. Would love to hear more of your travels. Did you do a review or share any thoughts elsewhere that I could look??

Which ship/Line are you on?

It is a long flight from Auckland to Santiago on LAN like 13 hours . If you can can afford it fly Air New Zealand in daylight from Brisbane to Auckland. Then stay overnight at Novotel Auckland Airport then fly on with LAN next evening to Santiago . Breaks the long trip up . LAN flies big A340 on the route and we have found LAN service exemplary on three trips to Santiago . There are few LAN direct flights from Santiago to Rio de Janiero, most go via Sao Paolo .

Excellent Holiday Inn at Santiago airport .

$ 120 fee for Aussies entering Chile payable on arrival, Brazil requires Visa for Australians, get before leaving Australia . Argentina is Visa on arrival for Australians .

Edited by kuldalai

Which ship/Line are you on?

We are Norwegian Sun 31 day repo. San Diego CA to B.A. :D Sooooooo excited, almost surpassing this impending Europe TA to USA.... (Almost!!!) ha ha!

It is a long flight from Auckland to Santiago on LAN like 13 hours . If you can can afford it fly Air New Zealand in daylight from Brisbane to Auckland. Then stay overnight at Novotel Auckland Airport then fly on with LAN next evening to Santiago . Breaks the long trip up . LAN flies big A340 on the route and we have found LAN service exemplary on three trips to Santiago . There are few LAN direct flights from Santiago to Rio de Janiero, most go via Sao Paolo .

$ 120 fee for Aussies entering Chile payable on arrival, Brazil requires Visa for Australians, get before leaving Australia . Argentina is Visa on arrival for Australians .

Thanks for visa info.

From memory, I think that fee at Santiago airport is payable in US dollars. I suggest you check it out so you have enough US currency.

Comment on Lan Chile - Some else said the service was exemplary. We found it the most 'laid-back' service we have ever had. The meal cart was brought around but no trays of water or other refreshing drinks were brought. I had to go to the service area and ask for every one and the response was somewhat reluctant. :)

$. Argentina is Visa on arrival for Australians .

Double check with regards to Argentina: RECIPROCITY FEE is required to be paid online prior to leaving Australia. We went earlier this year and rules had changed late 2013 so it could no longer be done on arrival. Though we went straight from Sydney to Buenos Aries so maybe different if you are going to another SA country first. But we were told that airlines check the paperwork and deny boarding if fee not paid/no paperwork.

Oh Uncle Les. We have booked a 31 dayer repo around the Cape ending in BA. (Starting in San Diago) ours is Nov 2015. Would love to hear more of your travels. Did you do a review or share any thoughts elsewhere that I could look??

We did Southampton to Sydney via South America and it was our favourite ever cruise. The Chilean Fjords are just amazing.

Make sure you take some decent clothing for cold weather as down around the Fjords and Cape Horn it can get very cold even in summer. We had padded jackets with hoods and they were needed but of course we had been in Europe in winter so they got plenty of wear. Unfortunately, you will only need the winter clothes for a short time as everywhere else we went it was really hot.

You will have have fabulous cruise. I would do that itinerary again in a heartbeat except there are so many other places and so little time :D

We are also on this cruise Goldcoaster but 5 weeks is long enough for me and I did not extend my holiday to include Rio.

I chose to fly to Sydney (from Melbourne) and get onto Qantas because, if my memory serves me well, uncle Les and Karateman said Lan airlines sometimes changed their flights. Also, I would probably prefer Qantas service and frequent flyer points.

I waited for a Qantas sale but booked with an online agent (hello) and only paid about $1600 with a return from LA direct to Melb.

Rosie

Double check with regards to Argentina: RECIPROCITY FEE is required to be paid online prior to leaving Australia. We went earlier this year and rules had changed late 2013 so it could no longer be done on arrival. Though we went straight from Sydney to Buenos Aries so maybe different if you are going to another SA country first. But we were told that airlines check the paperwork and deny boarding if fee not paid/no paperwork.

Correct we were in The Argentine in February, pre paid reciprocity fee was US$100 per person, payable via http://www.provinciapagos.com.ar

The airlines, cruise line, hotels, ferries, everyone will demand to see your printed out copy. We had to produce the prepaid fee form at Sydney Airport before departing on LAN, on change of aircraft in Santiago, at BA airport on arrival, at the hotel checking in, ..on cruise embarkation on Golden Princess. The form was worn out when we finally left South America.

Good luck and enjoy !!

Edited by NSWP

We are also on this cruise Goldcoaster but 5 weeks is long enough for me and I did not extend my holiday to include Rio.

I chose to fly to Sydney (from Melbourne) and get onto Qantas because, if my memory serves me well, uncle Les and Karateman said Lan airlines sometimes changed their flights. Also, I would probably prefer Qantas service and frequent flyer points.

I waited for a Qantas sale but booked with an online agent (hello) and only paid about $1600 with a return from LA direct to Melb.

Rosie

Indeed, the LAN flights into Sydney don't always arrive from South America.