Does anyone ever.......?

vent1020

So, down to 50 days to go before my cruise. And being a working man, it will probably be my last cruise for several years.(or longer....my wife doesn't love it as much as me and wants to do other types of trips for the next several years)

I booked this cruise back in March of 2013, so I have been looking forward to it for about a year and a half. So, my question. Does anyone else ever get to the point where the cruise gets so close, so does the realization that once it's done, it's DONE? I know I should just be focusing on the cruise itself coming up, but can't help to think that so is the fact that once it's over(something I have been looking forward to, what seems like forever) that's it for a while. :(

Edited by vent1020

Yup, I do the same thing, or at least, the thought crosses my mind. Even before we sail, as I'm packing, the thought crosses my mind, "Oh, man, only *this much time* before I have to go back to work."

Sad, very sad...:(

At least once I'm in the midst of it I'm too busy enjoying myself to think about it too much.:)

The extreme swing of highs and lows of fun and excitement between being on your cruise and it being over seem more extreme to me than that of a similar land-based event... land is land, but ship life is certainly exciting and unusual in that comparison.

Your emotions on the matter are exactly what sells future cruise rewards (or whatever they're called today) and why so many folks have more than one voyage booked out. Similarly, those emotions are also why many folks here tend to live vicariously through other posters discussions by answering questions on various aspects of cruising they love and are familiar with.

Edited by triptolemus

The extreme swing of highs and lows of fun and excitement between being on your cruise and it being over seem more extreme to me than that of a similar land-based event... land is land, but ship life is certainly exciting and unusual in that comparison.

Your emotions on the matter are exactly what sells future cruise rewards (or whatever they're called today) and why so many folks have more than one voyage booked out. Similarly, those emotions are also why many folks here tend to live vicariously through other posters discussions by answering questions on various aspects of cruising they love and are familiar with.

Exactly. I'm still trying to talk her into putting down $250 for a later cruise(to get the bonus $100 OBC) Come on honey, we have 4 years to book it. :D

Can't you rotate vacations evey year? Land one year and cruise the next? If not ncl has solo cabins :-)

I wish we could. The problem is, cruising is usually about 2-3 times more money then we spend on a normal vacation. And heck yeah, I'd go solo, if she'd let me. :D

I wish we could. The problem is, cruising is usually about 2-3 times more money then we spend on a normal vacation. And heck yeah, I'd go solo, if she'd let me. :D

Really? I find cruising to be gentle on my wallet due to paying it in installments instead of all at once. I also don't spend much unless I'm with family or friends, that and organizing a trip with them is a hassle - which is why I go solo traveling now.

Shame your wife doesn't like you solo travel because distance makes heart go fonder!![emoji1]

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

Really? I find cruising to be gentle on my wallet due to paying it in installments instead of all at once. I also don't spend much unless I'm with family or friends, that and organizing a trip with them is a hassle - which is why I go solo traveling now.

Shame your wife doesn't like you solo travel because distance makes heart go fonder!![emoji1]

Well, we have two kids that we also have to pay for, but we don't live close to a port and have to also pay for airfare which is a big expense. So, those things add up to it being more expensive then if we lived close and could drive and it was just the wife and myself.

We spend all this time wishing for time to go fast only to wish we could slow it down... We are a nutty species!

L

That's why if one has the opportunity, go ahead and plan the next!![emoji56]

So, down to 50 days to go before my cruise. And being a working man, it will probably be my last cruise for several years.(or longer....my wife doesn't love it as much as me and wants to do other types of trips for the next several years)

I booked this cruise back in March of 2013, so I have been looking forward to it for about a year and a half. So, my question. Does anyone else ever get to the point where the cruise gets so close, so does the realization that once it's done, it's DONE? I know I should just be focusing on the cruise itself coming up, but can't help to think that so is the fact that once it's over(something I have been looking forward to, what seems like forever) that's it for a while. :(

I would immediately start planning my next vacation the minute I return to get rid of some of that post-vacation blah feeling.

Can't you rotate vacations evey year? Land one year and cruise the next? If not ncl has solo cabins :-)
We generally do this, but not a hard fast rule. We alternate land and cruise vacations, but we often spend a more on land vacations, so we couldn't afford to do just those.

we don't live close to a port and have to also pay for airfare which is a big expense. So, those things add up to it being more expensive then if we lived close and could drive and it was just the wife and myself.

Sounds like a good reason to bag Utah and move to New York or Florida:D

Sounds like a good reason to bag Utah and move to New York or Florida:D

He can cruise from California, Texas or Louisiana too! Forgot about Oregon!!

Edited by maywell

My husband and I both love cruising but we knew when we took our b2b cruise last October that it would be our last cruise because of retirement budget constraints. We did not let that knowledge spoil our cruise. We had our usual wonderful time with lots of happy memories.

I always manage to kill my pre-cruise buzz, at least temporarily, by thinking...

"Oh, boy, in just 2 weeks I'll be back on a ship!" :D

followed by...

"Oh, boy, in just 3 weeks I'll be right back here with a suitcase full of dirty clothes and nothing to look forward to!" :(

Soon after returning, I do start planning my next cruise, if only to surf websites. It's the only cure.

I am one of those who comes home and books another cruise right away.....Its an addiction!! :eek:

I just did this exact same thing! Booked and deposit paid....now I just need to find a good time to tell DH. :eek:

He hates to travel so I go by myself. :)

I am one of those who comes home and books another cruise right away.....Its an addiction!! :eek:

I'm worst -I booked another and haven't even gotten on the original reservation yet!![emoji33]

I'm worst -I booked another and haven't even gotten on the original reservation yet!![emoji33]

LOL. I did the same thing when I booked the upcoming one. I was like "Man, there is no way I can wait a year and a half to go on this cruise" so I talked my wife into a quick three day coastal cruise on Princess last November.

I'm sure I can talk her into another. Just may take some time.

I thought I was the only one that did this! So happy to know I am not alone. The best way to make sure you don't experience pre-vacation depression (similar to post vacay blues) is to have another vacation planned and another pre-planned. I am hitting the Epic in 44 days but also have a trip to Vegas planned for next June and am researching another cruise just to see what is out there and what possible itineraries are. Maybe it's just that we enjoy the planning as much as the journey (or almost as much :)

We got back from our last one and hubby said never again with the kids. We did buy two FCC's while on board. I finally talked him into a do over with the kids but it is far away. The chatting on here makes the wait bearable. I wish NCL had more short trip options so maybe the two of us could sneak away. We are land locked in TN so it is either a LONG drive or airfare add on for us. Makes sense to retire in FL to take advantage of last minute trips.