Is the Red Frog Pub food free now?

Ever since the Red Frog Pub was first put in on Magic and Breeze, its food items have been $3.33 apiece. (A few other ships have the Pub too, but no food there.) But today, I saw two sources that show the Pub menus without mentioning the price. Here they are:

Carnival site's dining section: http://www.carnival.com/fun-activities/redfrog-pub

(Red Frog Pub is listed as "included".)

Menu on Carnival's site: http://www.carnival.com/~/media/Images/explore/fun-activities/menus/redfrog-pub-snacks-menu.ashx

(No food prices mentioned.)

For comparison, there's another menu, also on Carnival's site, linked to only from Zydeco Cruiser's site, not Carnival's own site. This one does mention the $3.33 price: http://www.carnival.com/onboard/bars-lounges/~/media/CCLUS/Images/pdf/RedFrogPubMenupdf.ashx

So which one is it? Is the food free now, or does Carnival assume people are aware of $3.33 price, and simply doesn't list it? I'm on the fence about paying to eat there, considering that most of the food onboard is free. But with the Pub being free as well, I'd definitely make a nice lunch out of it. Hey, if it's possible on NCL with O'Sheehan's, why not Red Frog on Carnival? Then again, if Carnival made a change like that, I'm sure the news would spread pretty fast.

Knowledgeable minds, please share.

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01

Ever since the Red Frog Pub was first put in on Magic and Breeze, its food items have been $3.33 apiece. (A few other ships have the Pub too, but no food there.) But today, I saw two sources that show the Pub menus without mentioning the price. Here they are:

Carnival site's dining section: http://www.carnival.com/fun-activities/redfrog-pub

Menu on Carnival's site: http://www.carnival.com/~/media/Images/explore/fun-activities/menus/redfrog-pub-snacks-menu.ashx

For comparison, there's another menu, also on Carnival's site, linked to only from Zydeco Cruiser's site, not Carnival's own site. This one does mention the $3.33 price: http://www.carnival.com/onboard/bars-lounges/~/media/CCLUS/Images/pdf/RedFrogPubMenupdf.ashx

So which one is it? Is the food free now, or does Carnival assume people are aware of $3.33 price, and simply doesn't list it? I'm on the fence about paying to eat there, considering that most of the food onboard is free. But with the Pub being free as well, I'd definitely make a nice lunch out of it. Hey, if it's possible on NCL with O'Sheehan's, why not Red Frog on Carnival? Then again, if Carnival made a change like that, I'm sure the news would spread pretty fast.

I think if they made it no charge the news would have been all over the place and JH would be trumpeting a brilliant change and in this case he would be right.

Does the Legend have a Red Frog??

Only on the Dream, Magic and Breeze with food items. Sunshine has the pub but no food items.

Many of the ships with the 2.0 upgrades have a Red FRog Rum Bar but is outside on Lido and serves drinks only. The Pubs are indoors.

Edited by mississauga

If Carnival has removed the prices from their website, that likely means they are increasing the prices. Zydeco's post looks like it links to an outdated PDF file.

I am going with what the carnival site says now. If they were just changing their prices then it would not say included. If they did not know yet I would imagine the price would be blank or perhaps it would be "Additional fee" or something.

On another note the Thrill Theater also says included and I think that used to be an extra fee.

Maybe they got flack for charging and they gave in.

I am going to be sailing on the breeze in August so I will find out. But I am sure someone else will report long before I do!

One thing as far as the menu goes is that it also doesn't have a price for the blended rum drink at the bottom and that's obviously not free. It does have the little great check that says included on the first link though.

It will be interesting if we start hearing first hand experience about this.

I was on the Breeze last month and the prices were definitely printed on those stand up menu cards for the apps.. and yes, they were $ 3.33.

There was a charge for Thrill Theatre too, although we did not go..

Those menus with no prices must be new... :D

Edited by Kel040

I asked this question on a Carnival FB group I belong to and someone that just got off the Breeze said there is a charge for both Red Frog and the Thrill Theater. I also saw on the Carnival website that both were included but it also shows Bingo as being included and I knew that couldn't be true. Must be an error on the site.

Carnival also took the prices off of all the bar menus on their website. RUm bar, tequila bar, alchemy, etc. used to have a PDF of their menus with prices listed. Now no prices are listed. Hope a price increase isn't right around the corner.

Asking only for the sake of curiosity . . .

If you order one, or several, or these specialty items the day of embarkation, or while at a US port-of-call (i.e. Key West) is there a tax added to the purchase as there is with alcohol and soda??

Thanks for any answer.

True, but I think it is that word 'Included' that is raising the eyebrows.

I'm starting to think that "included" means you're allowed to sit there without a requirement to purchase anything. (Which wouldn't be the case in a venue like the Steakhouse, listed as "for a fee".) Knowing Carnival lately (and I'm speaking as a fan), that just might be the definition. This, of course, raises the question: how is bingo "included"?

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01

Carnival's site is definitely showing it as included. All the venues are marked with 'for a fee' or 'included'. Red Frog food is only on Breeze and Magic. Click on Red Frog and it specifies 'snacks'. Pasta Bella says included but will say only 'lunch'. There is a charge for dinner.

http://www.carnival.com/cruise-food

Edited by Bookbug53

I'm starting to think that "included" means you're allowed to sit there without a requirement to purchase anything. (Which wouldn't be the case in a venue like the Steakhouse, listed as "for a fee".) Knowing Carnival lately (and I'm speaking as a fan), that just might be the definition. This, of course, raises the question: how is bingo "included"?

You can sit in the theater and watch for free; to actually get a card you have to pay :p:D

been cruising with Carnival now about 20 years and do not remember that. How long ago?

Stu, it really wasn't that long ago. Like Mark, I enjoyed the little lined basket of snack mix, and agree that it might have prolonged my time on the bar stool just for the convenience.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

been cruising with Carnival now about 20 years and do not remember that. How long ago?

I'm certain they had it as of my pride cruise in 2009 and prior. I don't recall seeing it after that but do recall some board chatter when it became a 'cutback'

Stu, it really wasn't that long ago. Like Mark, I enjoyed the little lined basket of snack mix, and agree that it might have prolonged my time on the bar stool just for the convenience.

don, little lined basket, exactly. They'd have a bag of it behind the bar and serve it in the basket things... It was kinda like a gardeto's snack mix (not sure if that's a national brand), but better!

and I believe they strategically deployed it to do exactly that. Its not as if you got snacks with every drink, but when you built a rapport with the server and 'settled in', they'd ask and serve snacks at their discretion. I miss that. Maybe I should start a poll :rolleyes: