Do It Now - Don't Procrastinate - Do You Want to Board That Ship?

sail7seas

I am kind of paranoid about leaving nothing to chance. We usually drive to the ports, sometimes stopping overnight along the way. I have a soft flexible binder with tabs and I put everything in it. Hotel reservations along the way, boarding passes and receipts for shore excursions, dining reservations, etc. I even go so far as to have credit card printouts to prove payment.

I have never needed it but it makes me feel more comfortable.

Good idea, but you might want to be sure that there is no home address on any of that in case it gets lost or stolen on your way to a cruise. It would be easy for someone to figure out the dates you would not be home from your printouts.

Do you lock your lockbox? We had one stolen. Actually, it wasn't even locked! Since that experience, the only reason I would have one is to keep things safe in case of fire. And, it would be in my basement!

Yes, we lock it. Since we live 25 miles from nearest town or bank or ATM we also keep cash in there besides our passports and other important papers.

I keep track of everything -- watch the dates on passports.

Have packing lists for the suitcases and lists of things that need to get done.

And a list of items that are to go into my purse -- and passports are on that list.

When I book our flights and print them out -- the passports go right in with them in a clear plastic sleeve. And I do check each month for flight changes. And we just had a flight change for November.

Wait....................... That sounds like me. :)

I always think we live a pretty normal life, but then a discussion like this reminds me how different all our situations are.

We cross the Canada-US border so often, and spur of the moment, that I always carry our passports in my purse. As I have limited use of my arms, my purse is a body sling style, so they are quite secure, and I do not fear I will lose them or have them stolen. And I don't ever have to try to remember where I put them for safe keeping.

Because we use them so often I have many reminders of their expiry date. And now that we finally have a 10 year one, it should be no problem remembering as I will have even more reminders of the date they expire.

I'm very confident that our passports will not be of issue if we decide on a last minute cruise deal. We're always ready to snap up a chance to hop on one of those HAL ships. Now if only they'd let us smile for that photo. I'd be 100% happy. Mine is FAR from complimentary, but I guess it's not a beauty pageant! Thank Goodness 😳

I had to renew my passport before our next trip, so I did it over a month ago.

I have to sadly admit, that I thought my previous passport photo was a bad likeness of me... The new picture, the sweet girl in the drug store snapped about 8 pictures of me trying to be nice. If what Erma Bombeck said is true "When you look like your passport picture, it's time to go home", I will never get out the front door!:p

I also had to get a new picture for my drivers license last week, so I had a double whammy!

They are both only one step up from those pictures they take when you get on the ship, and come up on the computer screen every time you board!

Now I think the picture on my previous passport was completely acceptable!

No telling what I'll think in 2024:eek:

AC

Now I think the picture on my previous passport was completely acceptable!

No telling what I'll think in 2024:eek:

AC

That's when my next passport is due, too. I will consider myself incredibly fortunate if I need to renew then. So fortunate that I probably won't care what the picture looks like. ;)

My passport expires in December so sent it away last week for a renewal. Cruising in February. Hate being without my passport. I feel naked!!!

I always have dreaded giving it up to get it renewed. I watch the mail eagerly waiting for its replacement.

I always have dreaded giving it up to get it renewed. I watch the mail eagerly waiting for its replacement.

With good reason. I had sent mine for a slightly early renewal some years ago. Then I got a call from the UK to say my mother was very ill. Everyone jumped through hoops to get my passport back to me, in absolutely record time. Unfortunately, my Mum took a sudden turn for the worse and passed before I got there. Shortly after that I took my Canadian citizenship, and now have two passports which expire a couple of years apart, so I will never have that issue again, but that's small solace. So I do understand the dreaded feeling when you give it up.

With good reason. I had sent mine for a slightly early renewal some years ago. Then I got a call from the UK to say my mother was very ill. Everyone jumped through hoops to get my passport back to me, in absolutely record time. Unfortunately, my Mum took a sudden turn for the worse and passed before I got there. Shortly after that I took my Canadian citizenship, and now have two passports which expire a couple of years apart, so I will never have that issue again, but that's small solace. So I do understand the dreaded feeling when you give it up.

Very sorry you had such an awful experience. Despite everyone's best efforts, sometimes we fall into these situations. Hopefully your wonderful memories give you peace.

I renewed my US passport book last week (mailed it Tuesday, 10/14, they received it Thursday, 10/16), processed it & I received it overnight today. I am also getting the Card (1st time) but that has not arrived yet. Can't believe that the process could be so fast! Website says 4-6 week processing time & I know this time of year is slow but 2-3 days to process is excellent!

I renewed my US passport book last week (mailed it Tuesday, 10/14, they received it Thursday, 10/16), processed it & I received it overnight today. I am also getting the Card (1st time) but that has not arrived yet. Can't believe that the process could be so fast! Website says 4-6 week processing time & I know this time of year is slow but 2-3 days to process is excellent!

That's fantastic. So great to avoid stress by it arriving back so fast. Congratulations. :)

I renewed my passport in 2010. Like RuthC, I will be pleased to be able to renew again in 2020 regardless of how my picture might turn out. I'm feeling lucky actually, my passport picture and my 2014 driver's license pictures were flattering for a change.

I store and carry my passport in a bright red around-the-neck holder where I also carry my flight boarding passes and some spare change so I don't have to fish around in a purse or carry-on in the airport.

• 2 months later...

When checking your expiration date don't forget if you cruise is the next year...I kept looking for the month/date as our cruise paperwork gave the earliest expiration date acceptable for our cruise. I'm now in a panic after going to check in for our cruise. i have an appointment 3 hrs from our house on Tuesday (soonest available) and am really hoping the stories I hear our true and they'll get me a passport the same day....

We found ourselves in the same position last year, just being stupid. We've travel overseas all our adult lives, 40 plus years, so were shocked; plus it costs us dearly to have DH's renewal expedited on his passport, so that we could cruise for the 2013 holidays. I've now put the expirations of all important travel documents in my calendar. Won't happen again!!! Sail is correct. Do it now!!!! We're very organized people, and it got past us!!!! A simply calendar entry would have saved us BIG BUCKS and STRESS!! Check those expirations!!

What is the cost for renew a passport and can you get the "card" at the same time? Is there an extra cost for the card? How long does it typically take to receive a renewed passport?

For US passports, renewals are $110 for the traditional passport and $30 extra for the passport card. $60 extra to expedite per State Department website. Yes, you can get the card at the same time. We had just passports for years, then upgraded to both passport and card on our most recent renewals.

We got our renewals in a few weeks, IIRC, without expediting.

Edited by Ryndam2002
clarity

Not being a smart alec ... but if you're getting a book passport why would you want a card as well seeing as it costs more money??

I understand getting the card only if you're cruising "locally".

As copied from the US State Dept site: Valid when entering the United States from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda at land border crossings or sea ports-of-entry. Not valid for international travel by air.

I got lucky and have to renew my driver's license the same year as my passport expires so I'm gently reminded every time I write my info on local checks I write.:)

Not being a smart alec ... but if you're getting a book passport why would you want a card as well seeing as it costs more money??

Out of an abundance of caution, I travel with both when cruising. I take the passport book with me when off the ship in case I become ill or have an accident, and have to fly home.

I leave the passport card onboard in the safe in case my book is stolen or lost when in port. Then I will have the card to re-enter the US with, as long as I have only been to the areas you mentioned above.

Edited by Ryndam2002

I am kind of paranoid about leaving nothing to chance. We usually drive to the ports, sometimes stopping overnight along the way. I have a soft flexible binder with tabs and I put everything in it. Hotel reservations along the way, boarding passes and receipts for shore excursions, dining reservations, etc. I even go so far as to have credit card printouts to prove payment.

I have never needed it but it makes me feel more comfortable.

We could be twins - even up to the soft sided binder which also includes port information gleaned from the internet (have never liked the maps provided by HAL). We also carry copies of the computer and camera receipts when we travel to Asia to prove we brought them along, copies of eyeglass prescriptions and passports or course.